2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One GOOD reason to live in Oshawa

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 07:36 PM

So who does this car belong to? Sure a lot of Camaros popping up before production even begins.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:19 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by 8Banger
So who does this car belong to? Sure a lot of Camaros popping up before production even begins.
Until March 16, the ones you see popping up belong to GM. They are called "Captured Fleet" vehicles.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:38 PM

Nice review, capn pete, hopefully you'll get the chance to write some more in the future weeks!
Old 02-26-2009, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
But to think that it will take 420+ hp/tq to pull high 12's from a production Camaro is slightly concerning.
I don't understand this line of thinking. It's heavier, so it takes more power to go a particular speed. That's physics.

The power is there, in droves. Don't want to leave it stock? The mod potential of the LS3 is even better than that of the LS1.

By all accounts, the car rides and handles far better than a 4th gen.

So what the heck are you "concerned" about?
Old 02-26-2009, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
I don't understand this line of thinking. It's heavier, so it takes more power to go a particular speed. That's physics.

The power is there, in droves. Don't want to leave it stock? The mod potential of the LS3 is even better than that of the LS1.

By all accounts, the car rides and handles far better than a 4th gen.

So what the heck are you "concerned" about?
True, from what I hear it shouldn't be hard to get 500+ hp with light mods from the LS3. Who needs the LSA Z28?

Last edited by christianjax; 02-26-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:17 AM
Disciple

Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada (20 min. down the road from the "Shwa"!)
Hey Pete!
Glad to hear that you feel the car has some potential for enjoyment on the track!
Your review is great - and pretty accurate! Thanks!

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 02-26-2009, 09:18 AM

it shouldnt take too much to get 500hp to the wheels on this car. head cam package, headers, intake, tune....should be enough t get you to 500 i would think.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
it shouldnt take too much to get 500hp to the wheels on this car. head cam package, headers, intake, tune....should be enough t get you to 500 i would think.
Sounds about right to me. You'll need a high-end set of heads and a big cam, though.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:24 AM

arent the vette guys using the z06 heads on their head cam swap?
Old 02-26-2009, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by 97z28/m6
thats why you should've called.
Don't worry dude, you'll get your chance . Tuesday night was very last minute, and a very rushed visit!

Originally Posted by 8Banger
This car (and ones like it) came directly from the plant in Oshawa, and goes back the very next day for the next guy to take out. Right now, it's mostly managers, etc., who are taking the cars out for testing. However, as more and more of them are being built, there should be more available for testing. I don't know how far "down the line" they allow workers to take the cars from the plant? Our neighbour typically has a different Impala or Silverado every day of the week (it's basically part of a quality assurance program, to make sure that the vehicles coming off the line are being put together well). Now that the Camaro is in the mix, it will become part of the regular "fleet" of cars driven by managers for testing.

Originally Posted by sselie
Hey Pete!
Glad to hear that you feel the car has some potential for enjoyment on the track!
Your review is great - and pretty accurate! Thanks!

Best regardSS,

Elie
Hey Elie! Yeah, it's been a long time coming getting a change to try out the car. Pretty hard to gauge accurately just how well it handles from a quick drive on city streets, but the fact that I couldn't FEEL any body roll, and feeling how strong the brakes are, I'm sure it's going to work well .

..... hmmm, maybe if I fed our neighbour a few beer and slipped him a couple hundred bucks, he'd let me take a car up to Mosport for some track testing!!!
Old 02-26-2009, 12:13 PM

One negative ..... I forgot to mention this about the car in my review:

Big blind spot on the driver's side . Big. And I thought that the 4th-gens had a pretty wicked blind spot as it was . But again, that's part of getting used to a car. I'm sure it's something you would learn to deal with, and just pay VERY close attention to who's around you at all times. But trying to change lanes to my left, when I looked, I saw NOTHING! I swung myself around backwards, I swear, and all I could see was the C-pillar .

That's my biggest complaint. A little too late to change THAT now, so I guess it's something people will have to get used to.

Edit: if you're driving with the windows down, you may want to stick your head out the window Ace Ventura style to check your blind spot .

Last edited by Capn Pete; 02-26-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:14 PM

Keep a lookout for a black car with the IOM interior...I saw the picture, but I was looking for a longer shot to get the overall effect.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Disciple

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
One negative
Big blind spot on the driver's side . Big.
[threadjack]

Public Service Announcement:

Too many people adjust their mirrors in such a way that all 3 show basically the same thing. Here's a much better way.

Adjust the center mirror centered on the rear window.
Check what you see at the edges.
Set the outside mirrors to just slightly overlap the edges of what you see in the center mirror.
You shouldn't need to shoulder check anymore. Your peripheral vision will pick up anything beside you when you check the outside mirrors.

It seems strange at first, because you don't see the side of the car at all, but as you get used to it you'll have a much better feel for what's going on around you.

[/threadjack]
Old 02-26-2009, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by poSSum
You shouldn't need to shoulder check anymore. Your peripheral vision will pick up anything beside you when you check the outside mirrors.
Art, drive the car, and then tell me my peripheral will pick up anything beside me .

The "shoulder check" showed me nothing more than what was right outside my window! Obviously, mirror adjustment will be CRUCIAL in these cars.

Like I said, this is something that will take some seat time to get used to (well, at least for me ... and maybe I'm just 'special' ).
Old 02-26-2009, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by poSSum
[threadjack]

Public Service Announcement:

Too many people adjust their mirrors in such a way that all 3 show basically the same thing. Here's a much better way.

Adjust the center mirror centered on the rear window.
Check what you see at the edges.
Set the outside mirrors to just slightly overlap the edges of what you see in the center mirror.

It seems strange at first, because you don't see the side of the car at all, but as you get used to it you'll have a much better feel for what's going on around you.

[/threadjack]
I agree. I'd say about 90% of people don't have a clue what the side mirrors are for. They wind up having 3 rear view mirrors. What's the point of that? The side mirrors are SUPPOSED to cover your blind spots. You should BARELY see your rear quarters in side mirrors. I ride a motorcycle so I'm VERY aware that people don't have thier mirrors set right, so I make a point of never riding in people's blind spots (a good idea anyway.)
Rant done.

Quick Reply: One GOOD reason to live in Oshawa