2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

One GOOD reason to live in Oshawa

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 01:40 PM

Thumbs up

Excellent writeup.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:50 PM
Disciple

Nice.

Thanks for sharing.

No ... we're not jealous.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:11 PM

i am.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
Friendly neighbours!!

Ok, good news and bad news. Bad news first. I didn't get to drive it for very long . Good news, I got to drive it!

This was a base SS, 6-speed, cloth interior, minimal "fancy stuff" (fine with me). And obviously, no ambient lighting! (I'm sure someone was going to ask).

First off, it's nothing like my 2002 Z28.

Secondly, and don't take this the wrong way, driving it reminded me of my buddy's 2007 Mustang GT?! I think just the general "feel" and more notably, the clutch! (very light ... almost too light?) **BUT** ... I'm not saying that comparison is a bad thing (you may breathe a sigh of relief now).

Unfortunately, I had very little time to do my test drive, thus, I had very little time to get myself 100% "adjusted" to the car. Compared to my 4th-gen that just "fit like a glove" when I first got in, the 5th-gen will take a little bit of adapting to. But the beauty is, with the telescopic/infinite tilt steering, and the wickedly adjustable power seat (note: very comfortable and very supportive) finding the perfect driving position for pretty much ANYBODY should be easily achievable ... I just didn't have enough time to find my groove (although I got close).

One word about the car though: smooooooooooooth .

... but firm. You can still tell that you're driving a sports car. I tried to get a feel for the weight/handling, and took a couple turns at a fair speed. The car stays perfectly flat (or it certainly felt that way). The steering is GREAT too ... instantly responsive, and yet, the car tracks beautifully down the road ... no pitching or darting like my '02 (although that's also due to my car's setup). But having such little over-hang compared to the 4th-gen, the turning is immediate.

And the brakes! Oh the brakes! They're wonderful!!! The Brembo's and 14" rotors are superb!!! (and I didn't even REALLY get to try them out!!). I can see this car having great track capabilities, although obviously there won't be much overcoming the curb weight, shy of gutting the car.

The [b]power is the one thing I didn't really get to try. The roads were nice and dry, but there's still the typical salt residue from our great Canadian winters, so traction would be very limited, and I went nowhere that I could really open it up. From what I did feel though, it felt good. As another person described, it feels much like the power of the LS1 (probably the power/weight ratio has a lot to do with it).

The exhaust note is nice, but (going back to how smooth the whole car is) it's almost barely noticable . I'd put a cat-back on my short list of things I'd want on the car (just so you can hear those ~425 ponies).

Oh yeah, and the shifter ... again, very smooth, but I'd prefer my B&M Ripper over the silky smoothness. I didn't mind the actual shift **** though. It was comfy.

Well, that's my brief (but lengthy!) report on my brief drive with the new Camaro. Fortunately, our neighbour is in a position of being able to bring these bad boys home quite frequently (probably moreso as more cars are built and available). Hopefully when the weather (roads) improve a little more, and we've got more time, I can get another chance at driving one of the cars and getting a more detailed report (and perhaps get to check out a car with the ambient lighting too ).
Nice review, thanks for sharing with us. Is it March 16th yet?
Old 02-25-2009, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
High 12s and low 13s feel pretty much the same.
Yea but I bet the SOTP meter would "feel" a difference if the LS3 was unleashed in an F-body.

Oh well it's all hearsay until we get our chances to drive.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:48 PM

Thank you very much for such a well written review. Please continue with the reviews and pics. I'm a Camaro junkie and need my fix
Old 02-25-2009, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
Yea but I bet the SOTP meter would "feel" a difference if the LS3 was unleashed in an F-body.
Assuming you're talking about a 4th-gen F-body (remember, the new ones have F in the VIN too!), sure. The LS3s ~90hp advantage over an LS1 is partially offset by the 5th gen's additional weight, giving high 12's (an educated guess on my part). In a LS3-equipped 3400-3500lb 4th gen, I think you could expect low-mid 12s.

While I don't think you'd notice much difference between a 13.3 and a 12.9 as far as SOTP feel is concerned, I do think you'd notice the difference between a 13.3 and a 12.3.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:32 PM

High 12s and low 13s feel pretty much the same.

If it were not true, there would be no point in checking the timeslip...
Old 02-25-2009, 03:36 PM

If I ever get the chance to try one on a dry day, and CLEAN roads, I'll let ya know how she goes. I only pulled the car to (what I thought was) redline once, and the higher she pulled, like an LS1, the harder she pulled . However, I just read on the spec sheet today that redline is 6600 RPM! I think I shifted just before 6000!! I think there's even more in this animal than I realized .
Old 02-25-2009, 05:16 PM

Assuming you're talking about a 4th-gen F-body (remember, the new ones have F in the VIN too!), sure. The LS3s ~90hp advantage over an LS1 is partially offset by the 5th gen's additional weight, giving high 12's (an educated guess on my part). In a LS3-equipped 3400-3500lb 4th gen, I think you could expect low-mid 12s.

While I don't think you'd notice much difference between a 13.3 and a 12.9 as far as SOTP feel is concerned, I do think you'd notice the difference between a 13.3 and a 12.3.
Yea F in the VIN doesn't make them F-bodies, IMHO. GM's platform designations have changed since then to the Greek system so maybe we'll call the 5th Gen Zeta F or F-Zeta.

That's pretty much all I was saying. For all the extra power the LS3 has and how potent it would have been in the 4th Gens we're looking at just slightly better performance potential in the 2010 Camaro.

I have no doubt that the 5th Gen Camaro will be a better overall car than the F-bodies in almost every way. But to think that it will take 420+ hp/tq to pull high 12's from a production Camaro is slightly concerning.

But with a 6600 redline 4.10's will help!
Old 02-25-2009, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
i am.
how do you think i feel? i live around the coner and we are friends.....
Old 02-25-2009, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
If I ever get the chance to try one on a dry day, and CLEAN roads, I'll let ya know how she goes. I only pulled the car to (what I thought was) redline once, and the higher she pulled, like an LS1, the harder she pulled . However, I just read on the spec sheet today that redline is 6600 RPM! I think I shifted just before 6000!! I think there's even more in this animal than I realized .
thats why you should've called.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:10 PM

They seem like nice cars, I wouldn't mind owning one.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:13 PM

I hate how everyone complains about the weight!!! Who on this particular board hasn't done mods to their cars?!?!?!? Go see what headers and a simple tune will do for an LS3 and shut the hell up!!!
Old 02-25-2009, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by cmg06s
! Who on this particular board hasn't done mods to their cars?!?!?!?
all i did was a shifter to mine.

Quick Reply: One GOOD reason to live in Oshawa