2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
View Poll Results: Myth BMW buyer wont consider anything else
Confirmed
9.80%
Plausable
39.22%
Effectively Busted
31.37%
Only with their enthusiasts
19.61%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Once BMW buyer always BMW buyer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 07:42 AM

Re: Once BMW buyer always BMW buyer?

Originally Posted by RMC_SS_LDO
Reminds me of the difference between roses and BMWs....

Roses have the ****** on the outside.

Allen
Sounds like the ones around here.....
Old 05-19-2006, 10:05 PM

Not everyone with a BMW is rich of course. But generally when most people talk about BMW owners. They mean people with new or late model ones... Like anyone else. If I say Chevy owners... do you really start thinking of the kid at Taco Bell and his Corsica?

How about this...

Perhaps it would be easier to make a comparison... I would say that BMW owners are about as loyal as heavy truck owners. Here's why.

1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks have a definitive purpose above all ***. Hauling stuff.

Luxury cars have a definitive purpose. Making you feel good about yourself. You may think thats a generalization, but whether it does it by the status you get, the features, performance... Thats one thing it does a car half the cost does not.

The differences in towing capacities is usually small, but to people who are paying attention how it handles the towing makes a world of difference. Same can be said for things like trans, reliability or whatever.

The difference in gadgets, horsepower, is also pretty close among luxury brands, but there is a discernable difference between a BMW a Merc, etc.

So while Fred may drive an F-150 with every package... that has a spotless bedliner, hed certainly know the difference between that and a ranger, or a stripped F-150. If he were in no financial diffuculty, he would probably stick with the former right? Im talking brand and vehicle here.

Same can be said of Lizbeth in her 545i... she doesen't know where the windsheild fluid goes... But even she would be able to point out the ride and quality differences between that and a CTS, or VW. Once again, unless her money gets funny why would she go anywhere else?

That being said, Camaro is Camaro and the only thing you can compare it apples to apples with is Mustang.

So if someone wants the raw power of Camaro, the prestige of their BMW has little to do with it. Even if we are talking about a 3 series coupe which is a 2+2 coupe. If you want Camaro thats what you want, If you want BMW thats what you want. It doesen't have to have anything to do with how great BMW service is or how far Chevy quality has come...

That make any sense?
Old 05-19-2006, 10:22 PM

Nobody is cross-shopping between a Camaro and a BMW.

People are cross-shopping between a Vette and an M3. People are cross-shopping between a CTS-v and M5 (although not as much as GM would probably want). People are cross-shopping between the 3-Series, G35, and CTS. People will cross-shop between the new Camaro and Mustang and new Challenger (if it makes it to production) and the 350Z.

However, I assure you less than 1% of consumers are cross-shopping Camaros with BMWs. Camaros are about the ultimate "bang for your buck" performance. BMWs are about image and, to a lesser extant, performance. The fact of the matter is that people who buy BMWs are often too image-conscious to buy a lowly "Chevrolet".

Take my good friend, for example. He just entered law school this year. Last year, he owned a 2001 Camaro Z-28 (modded) and loved it. Now? He sold it and doesn't own a car (because he lives on the border of his law school campus and doesn't feel the need to have a vehicle). However, he said when he graduates from law school, he will be cross-shopping AMG and M. I asked why he wouldn't consider another Camaro (new), and he said they are too "boy racer". Personally, I am going to law school next year, and "boy racer" or not, I'd like a $28,000 car with 400+ hp, which is why I plan to buy a brand-new Camaro after law school graduation. Most people don't think like me, though.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Good Ph.D
Not everyone with a BMW is rich of course. But generally when most people talk about BMW owners. They mean people with new or late model ones... Like anyone else. If I say Chevy owners... do you really start thinking of the kid at Taco Bell and his Corsica?
If you say Chevy owners I think everything from new to Classic 50s 60s and 70s. I dont understand why you point this out, as I included new BMW buyers in the original post, such as the female 3301 buyer from our night shift who quickly traded the car for an Acura TSX because it offered more, and my cousin who bought brand new. My cousin is certainly not strapped for cash.

So while Fred may drive an F-150 with every package... that has a spotless bedliner, hed certainly know the difference between that and a ranger, or a stripped F-150. If he were in no financial diffuculty, he would probably stick with the former right? Im talking brand and vehicle here.

Same can be said of Lizbeth in her 545i... she doesen't know where the windsheild fluid goes... But even she would be able to point out the ride and quality differences between that and a CTS, or VW. Once again, unless her money gets funny why would she go anywhere else?
You are comparing an enthusiast in the former scenario, to a driver who is not all that into cars. While she may stick with what works, if something else is said to come along she is more likely to consider another brand than the diehard truck enthusiast equivelent.

That being said, Camaro is Camaro and the only thing you can compare it apples to apples with is Mustang.

So if someone wants the raw power of Camaro, the prestige of their BMW has little to do with it. Even if we are talking about a 3 series coupe which is a 2+2 coupe. If you want Camaro thats what you want, If you want BMW thats what you want. It doesen't have to have anything to do with how great BMW service is or how far Chevy quality has come...
You refer to BMW with "prestige" and "status" rather than how they got there which was with road handleing performance, while you refer to the Camaro with "raw power" which to me suggests 1/4 mile. The Z28 road racer is much more than "raw power" or it becomes irellevant. You might think GM already has the idea that all cars need to handle so what is the point anyway. Well I think Ford missed an oppertunity with Shelby. When Camaro went on Hiatus, Ford claimed they were going upscale toward BMW. Here we are in 2006 and the Shelby has a solid rear and a Super Charger. That tells me that it is a 1/4 mile car that happens to handle pretty decent. I think the top of the line Camaro should handle extrodinarily well and happen do great in the 1/4. Im saying the super Camaro should be Vette like on the heels on BMW in terms of performance.

That make any sense?
Yes Thank you...
Old 05-20-2006, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Caprice LO3
Nobody is cross-shopping between a Camaro and a BMW.

People are cross-shopping between a Vette and an M3. People are cross-shopping between a CTS-v and M5 (although not as much as GM would probably want). People are cross-shopping between the 3-Series, G35, and CTS. People will cross-shop between the new Camaro and Mustang and new Challenger (if it makes it to production) and the 350Z.

However, I assure you less than 1% of consumers are cross-shopping Camaros with BMWs. Camaros are about the ultimate "bang for your buck" performance. BMWs are about image and, to a lesser extant, performance. The fact of the matter is that people who buy BMWs are often too image-conscious to buy a lowly "Chevrolet".

Take my good friend, for example. He just entered law school this year. Last year, he owned a 2001 Camaro Z-28 (modded) and loved it. Now? He sold it and doesn't own a car (because he lives on the border of his law school campus and doesn't feel the need to have a vehicle). However, he said when he graduates from law school, he will be cross-shopping AMG and M. I asked why he wouldn't consider another Camaro (new), and he said they are too "boy racer". Personally, I am going to law school next year, and "boy racer" or not, I'd like a $28,000 car with 400+ hp, which is why I plan to buy a brand-new Camaro after law school graduation. Most people don't think like me, though.
I think you misunderstood. Maybe I wasnt clear in the poll or my explination. The question was, "Would a BMW buyer buy ANY other brand?" As in is it once a BMW buyer always a BMW buyer. If the answer is yes, then the assumption is wrong. Also I had a friend who bought an Audi TT. He went to the dealer before most were in showrooms and ordered exactly what he wanted. He paid sticker and they shipped the car in before most had theirs just as he had done previously with the 98 mistu spyder turbo before anyone else had theirs. He also claimed that he loved the Audi and would own nothing less. I guess about a year ago, being the loyal Audi enthusiast he was went out and bought an infinity G35.

Camaro has the potential at the upper end to be at least close to the BMW road racer. I have a problem with an M3 2dr 4 seat sport coup potential buyer needing to cross shop a 2dr 2 seat sport car Vette. Although it does make for great comparisons in the car mags. Also keep in mind I think the Z28 can be to the M3, what the Dodge Charger is to Mercedes. So that the average person who is into BMW but cant afford would be more likely to take a look at the Camaro Z28.

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 05-20-2006 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:17 PM

I don't think you can lump all BMW owners into one catagory. That's like saying all F-Body owners are rednecks with 2nd gens who wouldn't consider any other car, because frankly, nothing else gets the wind going through that sweet mullet better than something with T-Tops and an SBC.

There are those that love BMW's for the style, and they are also great performance platforms. There are also F-Body owners who buy one and have absolutely no clue about what they own.

It can go both ways. Someone will be snobby and look down on a Chevy, the same way someone else may automatically label a BMW owner as someone living beyond their means who lives at home.

I think when it comes down to a car purchase, people will buy a certain vehicle for any one of a million reasons. All are perfectly valid for the person signing the cheque.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
If you say Chevy owners I think everything from new to Classic 50s 60s and 70s. I dont understand why you point this out, as I included new BMW buyers in the original post, such as the female 3301 buyer from our night shift who quickly traded the car for an Acura TSX because it offered more, and my cousin who bought brand new. My cousin is certainly not strapped for cash.
Because you said not all BMW owners are wealthy. Certainly not, but I don't think its useful to talk about what someone who happens to own a BMW but has done for a large number of years would do. That person either isn't able or isn't interested in new cars that much. Which makes would they buy a Camaro or anything else, rather moot.

I, and I don't think I am alone on this, say BMW owners, and mean the people you see in BMW commercials... That are somewhat young, well off and probably buy/lease a new car every few years.

You are comparing an enthusiast in the former scenario, to a driver who is not all that into cars. While she may stick with what works, if something else is said to come along she is more likely to consider another brand than the diehard truck enthusiast equivelent.
You misunderstood, or atleast didn't pick up on the "spotless bedliner" part. I said that to say that said guy in his big truck, isnt doing anything trucklike in it. The person in a super duty and 5series are each primarily interested in a specific type and class of vehicle whether they "use" it or not. While they might not be enthusiast as you and I are, they know what they are driving. Even those "image conscious" BMW drivers people are talking about are not so stupid they wont know the difference between their car and a chevy if you blindfold them.

To get back to the question. Would a BMW driver buy anything else? Yeah, if they wanted it. Most people even rich ones aren't so shallow they will change the habits because a neighbor might poo poo it.

Would a BMW enthusiast drive anything else. Yeah, if it generated more enthusiasm.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:03 PM

I think it is quite plausible if they LEASE, not buy. I know very few people who can afford to buy a BMW and then purchase another when they are next shopping(afluent people of course).
Old 05-21-2006, 01:06 PM

I used to be loyal to GM but then I saw how much of a crap bucket my mom's 2001 z28 camaro was, so now I have no brand loyalty (which is actually a good thing).

I'm pretty sure the same thing happens to BMW people too.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:40 AM

I guess you could say my family is a BMW familiy. We have 3 in the immediate family (mine,bro & sister). My uncle started the craze i think b/c he has owned many and races his. He sticks by them, and so do my siblings. We get into arguments all the time that there are a lot of cars "better" than BMW's. Even though its a no brainer I have to fight tooth and nail and say that a Z06 will trash a BMW M5 on every level (except cargo space ). I compare a z28 to an M3 and the cars are close. My brother says its all about "quality". I think that is only somehwat true. In a BMW the electronics blow faster than anything else. Just about everything electrical in my car is broken. The engines last a while though, but so does a well-made japanese car. Fuel economy is abismal though. They look descent and the leather is good quality, shift are nice, and they are fun to drive. They are waaay too expensive for what they offer though. My brother only buys BMWs. He has a summer and winter BMW. MY mom and I finally did get him to appreciate and want an EVO or a WRX though. I like many different makes and models so its a no-brainer for me. My family likes the "prestige" that goes along with the car. Everyone just likes the roundel (ornament). I guess they feel it commands respect. I'm personally not attached to the cars so I will be ditching mine soon for a z28 and a japanes winter car. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:45 PM

I think I can offer some insight into the mind of the BMW buyer. See signature for details

Sure, there are a few hardcore Bimmerphiles who will consider no other make. But there are a lot of people, even BMW enthusiasts, who will venture elswhere if the product is good enough. For example, when the current crop of BMWs came out with radically different interior and exterior styling (2002 7 series and 2004 5 series in particular) many of the previously hardcore BMW enthusiasts defected to other makes, because while the cars are still great to drive, they don't look like the BMWs before them. Others don't like how they get "softer" and more comfortable with each generation, and proclaim that their particular vintage of BMW is the pinnacle, and the cars have gone downhill since then. And then you have the more casual BMW owners who will buy whatever they see as the best product out there for a reasonable price(or a good lease deal) when they go to replace their BMWs.

Put me in the camp who thinks the new BMWs lost something when the styling changed - I like how my 2001 740 has many of the same styling cues inside and out as a 1994 740, a 1989 535, and a 1984 325. I'll certainly consider cars other than BMWs when it comes time to replace the 740 in 5 or 6 years - I've got my eye on 2003-2006 Mercedes sedans with the supercharged V8 or the twin turbo V12, which should be cheap enough by 2011. But an STS-V or a 300C SRT8 would certainly be an option as well