2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Myth BMW buyer wont consider anything else
Confirmed
9.80%
Plausable
39.22%
Effectively Busted
31.37%
Only with their enthusiasts
19.61%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Once BMW buyer always BMW buyer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 02:31 AM

Once BMW buyer always BMW buyer?

There seems to be a preconceived notion that once a BMW buyer, always a BMW buyer. The car wins damned near all of the car magazines comparisons, and after all it is the “Ultimate driving machine.” It has even been mentioned more than once here that a BMW driver wouldn’t even consider another vehicle. I can not help but notice that it seems that the perception of BMW owners are people who own several cars and may even light their cigars with $20 bills at the end of the day… The kind of people I’ve certainly never met.

In contrast I have worked with several coworkers who have bought BMW’s. The first was the person who trained me for my job who drove a late 90’s 3 series. He later got elected as a local Politian but at the time was a colleague. One was a female who worked the night shift. She still lived at home and bought a brand new 330i two years ago. Her previous car was a Civic Si, and traded the BMW after about 6 short months for a Acura TSX because it “just offered more” Another a while back, was a male coworker on my shift that bought a 99 13 sec M3 Of course that was after he removed the back seat. He was constantly sending out pictures and videos of new cars including when he was impressed with a video of a new Ford GT weaving through traffic. Yet another guy in a different department had a new 3 series BMW. This got sold and replaced with a late 80’s early 90’s Toyota pick up, an early 90s Civic and a Town home. Also there was a guy from our Support who bought a brand new 3 series that he showed off proudly with pleather. I guess that’s fake leather but it’s gone now. I see the guy once in a blue moon but no sign of the flashy status symbol. All of these coworkers had one thing in common. They were living beyond their means. They stretched their paycheck incredibly thin, most were living at home, and all just wanted a taste of the best.

A friend before 2000 bought a 3 series. His other vehicles included an early 90s V6 full size Chevy pick up, and a Tahoe he bought after the BMW. My cousin currently owns a 3 series. I believe it’s a 330i. Her previous cars are a CR-V, and a Prelude. She’s not really into cars. Her next car could be anything as long as it’s nice. My brother’s girlfriend’s dad probably fits the myth a little closer. He has owned a Z3, and currently owns an X5 and a 3 series for his daughter. In order for the myth to hold true all of his vehicles have to be BMW. He just purchased a Lexus RX I believe it is and a Boxter. You can argue that’s upscale but its still not a BMW.

I worked with a BMW mechanic. I believe he ran the shop. He said that the BMW's are toys. Foot ball players buy them all the time. They are expensive to buy, expensive to maintain. He thought about one but of course it was too expensive, so he stuck with his Grand Am.

The 300C effectively offers a Mercedes Chassis with a Hemi motor. It has been dubbed by some as the baby Bently. Offering Bently looks, Mercedes Chassis, and the Hemi motor. Would Bently buyers ever consider the 300? Maybe not, but the Average Joe who drools over that Bently is certainly more than likely to consider that 300 and would be wise to do it.

I count 5 coworkers who would have been more within their means with a Z28 Camaro. Granted they are mostly import fans but as the car proves itself perceptions will change the way Chrysler has. BMW enthusiasts will stay true just like any brand.

Do I think BMW's will pile up on GM lots? No, but I certainly think some who own them will take a look. More importantly, those who read about BMW M3 and cant afford would give a Z28 hopefully within their budget with some styling from the 69 Camaro, Caddys, and Stingray, that rivals the Bimmers styling at a more reasonable price some serious consideration...

Your thoughts?

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 05-18-2006 at 02:37 AM.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:56 AM

Re: Once BMW buyer always BMW buyer?

If they like the way it looks and sounds, they will definitely take it for a test drive....but how it goes from their I don't know. They could test drive anything and just say that a BMW is 10X better, then again, another BMW could end up on the Chevy dealers' lot.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:54 AM

Buying a BMW is about image more so than performance. Besides, they are fun to drive.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:16 AM

I think that assuming someone who has a BMW only buys BMWs is way too much of a generalization to make, although people seem to do it all of the time. I am with you 5thgen, I have met people who have/had BMWs and have had other cars, and have bought different cars after their BMW ownership.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:21 AM

Well I've got an '06 Audi A4 which by most people's measures is the closest thing to the BMW driving experience without actually owning a BMW. And I've got to say I enjoy the way the car 'feels' - very integrated man/machine feel and all... but the car is a lease, and the only reason I'd get another Audi or BMW next time around is if they continue to offer the most competetive lease offer out there.

I'm not opposed to getting, say the new '08 Cadillac CTS or a Lexus IS or Acura TL or whatever else - they're all good cars in their own ways. If I were purchasing I'd only go Lexus just because I'm very **** and nit-picky about cars I own, but with a lease my #1 concern becomes cost of ownership, and, at least last go around, I was able to get this A4 w/ 15k miles a year for only a 24 month lease including all taxes and free maintenance, absolutely nothing down for $389/month. They were bar-none the best deal out there.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:28 AM

my boss has a 1999 3 series, his next car will not be a bmw
Old 05-18-2006, 03:03 PM

In my mind most BMW owners are either the hardcore enthusiasts (but that is a very small fraction), or the much more common yuppy-ish demographic that are in them in order to display their status and not so much because they read Car and Driver or Consumer Reports.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:20 PM

one of my first cars was a BMW 1600. Nice car. Never owned another one.

My daughter has a 318is, nice car. My son owned (had it impouneded) a 535i, nice car.

Nice handling, pretty responsive, decent power, overpriced by thousands. I'd buy a used Mercedes before a new BMW anyday.

In my mind most BMW owners are either the hardcore enthusiasts (but that is a very small fraction), or the much more common yuppy-ish demographic that are in them in order to display their status and not so much because they read Car and Driver or Consumer Reports.

Also, trying to infer some category of driver by the car they drive is asinine. Just think of how many types of drivers there are of Camaros... This board itself has a couple dozen of squabblers and yet they are mostly men with souped-up rides.

Last edited by Ultra_Dog; 05-18-2006 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:09 PM

Since I'm so poor, I don't even know any BMW owners, it's hard for me to add any real insight! However, I'm going to play devil's advocate for a moment, even though you're, for the most part, right.
To most people, especially in the good ole United States, cars are a personal thing, a symbol. Maybe to some a status symbol, but a lot of times a reflection of our personality, or what we wished our personality to be. This is probably one reason some people spend beyond their means, as has been stated.
I'm sure that there are a lot of smart people out there that drive bmw's and when they get ready to get another one, will consider all their options. But I have a feeling that some of them bought a bmw because it WAS a status symbol, and wouldn't really consider driving a Camaro. At least up till now.
The new Camaro is going to be pretty high-tech, sounds like to me. The prices will be a bit higher than initially figured because the technology is better and more expensive than what the 'trusty ole mustang' is using. (A quote I read somewhere.)
So hopefully people will realize this, and see that this new Camaro is definetely a step 'up', in more ways than one.
Old 05-18-2006, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ultra_Dog
Also, trying to infer some category of driver by the car they drive is asinine.
Probably, but this thread is about preconceived notions
Old 05-18-2006, 06:13 PM

Reminds me of the difference between roses and BMWs....

Roses have the ****** on the outside.

Allen
Old 05-18-2006, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by RussStang
I think that assuming someone who has a BMW only buys BMWs is way too much of a generalization to make, although people seem to do it all of the time. I am with you 5thgen, I have met people who have/had BMWs and have had other cars, and have bought different cars after their BMW ownership.
I think its one of a few. All worded differently, but seem to boil down to BMW is just that good that for the most part rich people who arent worried about money buy them up and dont care about costs. While it is true about sports stars, I believe that is the minority of at least 3 Series cars. LL Cool J was interviewed one time saying "As soon as I got big, I said I gotta get a Benz gotta get a Benz!!! Then the dealers who had money in their eyes were saying "Were going to get you that Benz!" Then he said "I quickly realized, that if you have a Million dollars and you spend a Million dollars, you are not a Millionaire..."

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
Probably, but this thread is about preconceived notions
that is true. Preconcieved notions, as well as to get a real world idea of friends, family that may have bought BMW's. Did they buy them and not buy any other brand after? Is the Bimmer as bullet proof as the myth's would have you believe where BMW's customer base continually expands never loosing a customer, or is it possible for other brands to have a crack stealing some of the Bimmers 2 dr 4 seater sport car road racer segment. Even if it BMW were bulletproof could the segment of buyers who go beyond their means be tapped into ala Camaro Z28 road racer... All the real world examples given by everybody seem to back up that BMW buyers will consider other cars so far.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:10 PM

True, that is why I voted option 4.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:33 PM

In 1984 I bought a new Omni GLH. I was considering a 1975 BMW 2002. I could have gotten the 2002 for abit less money than the GLH, but it had 70,000 miles on it and I was concerned about the cost of maintenance.

If I had bought that 2002, I believe I'd still own it today.

Afew months ago, I seriously considered a new 3 series.

BMW's are cool cars. They're way fun to drive.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
BMW's are cool cars. They're way fun to drive.
Gotta agree with this. As much as they may be a shallow status figure to some people, BMW does build a very nice machine.

Quick Reply: Once BMW buyer always BMW buyer?