2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

My take on the next Camaro...Concept Rendering

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 01:23 PM

Re: My take on the next Camaro...Concept Rendering

This captures the sleekness and sexyness that the retro concepts were lacking.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by XcYZ

As for the concept, retro is in.
I just hope it still is in 3 years. Big SUV's were popular 3 years ago too.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:55 PM

Very nice! Actually looks feasible.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:15 PM

Very cool looking...It may be retro but it looks very aggressive and I like how wide and low it looks. It definitely looks like a Camaro. The overall profile of the car is great and I really appreciate the fact that the front end doesn't look like a brick, lol So, when you gonna' show us the rear?
Old 11-22-2005, 02:41 PM

Well, I'm seeing cues from all gen's in it. 1st gen is rather obvious. Headlights ala 2nd gen. The downward slope of the hood brings to mind the 4th gen. 3rd gen is a little more difficult, but I believe it's in there.

It looks similar to the rendering, but brings out the ideas in a much more unified design. It also looks like it could be a production car with a few tweaks and not end up looking ridiculous.

Very good job! A+! I especially like the A-pillars and rear quarter window. This is my new wallpaper for now!
Old 11-22-2005, 05:41 PM

Also, how many times have we heard it won't be retro? How many times have we heard it will have queues from ALL the generations? This one, as nice as it is, is pure retro, I see no 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or forward thinking design. Just a very well executed '69 retro design. It almost looks like a '69 Camaro thats been OVERHAULED!
I have to agree, looks similar to many retro's that have been shot down. I see a little 3rd gen in the flat hood/ windshield area, but no 4th or 2nd at all...
The Autoshark version has 4th and 1st blended seemlessly in the front end and hood lines, and long hood and windshield of the 3rd gen, and a not so great attempt at 2nd gen tail...not so retro with its smooth flow...man, with a little work, it could be "the One"...(IMHO...)
Old 11-22-2005, 05:54 PM

Other than the stripes and front fender skirts, what part looks like an overhauled 69 Camaro?
  • The front fenders are different. (Looks more like the first Nomad concept)
  • The roofline is different. (69 Camaro wasn't a fastback, which this appears to be.)
  • The grill area while similar is different.
  • The hood bulge looks more like a 69 Chevelle hood bulge.
  • The rear fender skirts were never on the 69 Camaro.
  • The 69 Camaro didn't have integrated safety bumpers.
  • The 69 Camaro had a longer nose and shorter deck compared to this.
I think too many people are trying to see "retro" where it doesn't exist. "Heritage styling"? Yes... but "retro"? Far from it IMHO.
Old 11-22-2005, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by 90rocz
I see a little 3rd gen in the flat hood/ windshield area, but no 4th or 2nd at all...

Compare the headlights with this 75 Camaro.

Old 11-22-2005, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Other than the stripes and front fender skirts, what part looks like an overhauled 69 Camaro?
  • The front fenders are different. (Looks more like the first Nomad concept)
  • The roofline is different. (69 Camaro wasn't a fastback, which this appears to be.)
  • The grill area while similar is different.
  • The hood bulge looks more like a 69 Chevelle hood bulge.
  • The rear fender skirts were never on the 69 Camaro.
  • The 69 Camaro didn't have integrated safety bumpers.
  • The 69 Camaro had a longer nose and shorter deck compared to this.
I think too many people are trying to see "retro" where it doesn't exist. "Heritage styling"? Yes... but "retro"? Far from it IMHO.
Well, I don't know if we're looking at the same car....
-The fenders aren't chopped on the new one, but they both have that body line that swoops rearward. Obvious copy of a '69

-The car doesn't appear to be a fastback to me, maybe we can tell when he releases his rear 3/4

-The designer himself says it's a retro copy of the '69 grille, albiet leaned back.

-It's a little lower in profile, but it's a dead copy of a '69 cowl induction Camaro

-The rear fender skirts are indeed on the '69's, though hard to see in the pic. Assuming we're talking about the swooping body line

-No car had integrated bumper covers in '69 except the GTO.

-The wheelbases and overhang are different, sure. It's a modern layout.

The similarities? The designer said he used the '69 grille, but leaned it back. The front fenders both have the swoops, but the new one isn't chopped level. Both hoods have a cowl induction look. Both cars have rear 1/4 windows, of the same shape. Both cars have what appears to me to be the same roofline. Both cars have the rear fender that humps over the back wheel, begining at the end of the door, and defining the bottom edge of the rear 1/4 window as it rolls over the top. Both cars have lip spoilers on the back. I'm sorry, but every element is there, granted the concept is a modern interpretation, but it's a direct copy nonetheless. Keep in mind, I never said it looked bad, just that it doesn't go w/ what we've heard about no retro, heritage from all models, ect.

But to be honest, I don't want to rain on this guys parade anymore. It's a fine job, and a good looking car. His concept isn't what got me thinking, it was the reaction from the choosen ones to the concept.

Last edited by CLEAN; 11-22-2005 at 07:04 PM.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:46 PM

Awesome looking. If thats what a 5th gen turns out to be, sign me up, I'd be sold in a heartbeat.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:38 AM

Hmm, the 'Stang and the Challenger are retro, this concept drawing, IMO, is very far from retro. Yes, it is inspired by the 69, but the grille reminds me more of the 78/79. The rear quarters scream late third gen to me, as does the basic shape of the hood (though somewhat exagerated into a small cowl) and the roof line is a pleasing blend of 1st, 3rd and 4th gen styling cues (obviously talking about the roof and a to b pillar greenhouse, since this one does not have a hatchback, thank God). I have no clue how close, or how far away this it to the actual prototype, but I am hopeful that this is closer than not. Now which do I buy first, the SS or the SRT-8 Challenger?
Old 11-23-2005, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by CLEAN
Well, I don't know if we're looking at the same car....
-The fenders aren't chopped on the new one, but they both have that body line that swoops rearward. Obvious copy of a '69
On John's design its a continuous line merging with the rear fender line. On the 67-69 Camaros it was more curved over the front wheel opening but then died part way into the doors, then picked up again at the rear quarters with a differen arch, not the same continuous line.
-The car doesn't appear to be a fastback to me, maybe we can tell when he releases his rear 3/4
That's possible however John's design still has a much shorter nose than the original design.
-The designer himself says it's a retro copy of the '69 grille, albiet leaned back.
The 69 grill was more of an "egg crate" design, this appears to just have horizontal bars, just like most other Chevy currently in production.
-It's a little lower in profile, but it's a dead copy of a '69 cowl induction Camaro
Sorry but I disagree, the center ridge is missing as is the rear tail. Its much closer to the lower profile 2nd gen scoop or the Chevelle cowl induction minus the rear flap.
-The rear fender skirts are indeed on the '69's, though hard to see in the pic. Assuming we're talking about the swooping body line
Yeah, I totally dropped the ball on that one. (I'm more of a 67-68 enthusiast anyway. ) However, where are the grills in front of the rear wheels if this in fact is just a overhauled 69 Camaro?
-No car had integrated bumper covers in '69 except the GTO.
Which was my point.
-The wheelbases and overhang are different, sure. It's a modern layout.
Again. My point.
The similarities? The designer said he used the '69 grille, but leaned it back. The front fenders both have the swoops, but the new one isn't chopped level. Both hoods have a cowl induction look. Both cars have rear 1/4 windows, of the same shape. Both cars have what appears to me to be the same roofline. Both cars have the rear fender that humps over the back wheel, begining at the end of the door, and defining the bottom edge of the rear 1/4 window as it rolls over the top. Both cars have lip spoilers on the back. I'm sorry, but every element is there, granted the concept is a modern interpretation, but it's a direct copy nonetheless. Keep in mind, I never said it looked bad, just that it doesn't go w/ what we've heard about no retro, heritage from all models, ect.
Actually Dynacorn is making the direct copies.
But to be honest, I don't want to rain on this guys parade anymore. It's a fine job, and a good looking car. His concept isn't what got me thinking, it was the reaction from the choosen ones to the concept.
It's an awesome job. However go back and look at the photoshop I did on the original Nomad concept. Look at Sharpshooter's concept and look at Chris Pawels' concept. All have strong similarities to what John drew up because they were based on suggestions first made at Cheers and Gears by evok. Had it been suggested that it (the new Camaro) looked more like a 2nd gen Camaro, things would have been different.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:03 AM

I think it is a great modern interpretation of a classic Camaro. From a practicality standpoint though, I would like less fornt overhang.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:09 AM

After looking again, I'd have to say that the front Fascia is more of a meld of late 2nd gen and 69 Camaro.

Old 11-23-2005, 10:24 AM

From this angle you won't really be able to see it but the nose comes to a point if you see it from a top view. It's not too pointy or it'd be a little too Pontiac but think of the first year for the 4th gen Camaros and how they pointed - similar to that. I always liked the front ends of the first couple years of the 4th gens. Sharp, edgy, and aggressive - nice in my opinion.

I'll be working on the rear 3/4 view over the thanksgiving holiday and when I post it I'll make it a new post and also add the front 3/4 below it to compare.

Keep the input coming, the whole point of posting this is to hear what you guys think and I'd like to go back and revisit the design and tweak it further.

John

Quick Reply: My take on the next Camaro...Concept Rendering