2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My take on the next Camaro...Concept Rendering

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005, 11:24 PM

Re: My take on the next Camaro...Concept Rendering

I went to http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/ and registered and read the thread that awesome pic is posted in (look for the posting in there by Tapin) ......BOO YAH!!! Im there!! I hope my wife wont mind me selling her Volvo next year. My 2000SS will have some company in the garage and she can ride the bus- cause she wont be allowed to drive my sweet sweet 2007 Camaro!!
Old 11-21-2005, 11:41 PM

awesome concept

i think it could use some foglights in the lower grille IMO
Old 11-22-2005, 01:55 AM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

very nice!
Old 11-22-2005, 05:13 AM

I don't consider myself a big retro fan, but WOW! Out of all the concepts I've seen this one knocks my socks off! Awesome job.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:10 AM

Thanks guys. I don't know what happened to the rendering but it should be red not blue. I didn't do the blue. My red version is on Lateral-g.net and pro-touring.com. Here's some of my thoughts on the design....

For this concept, I did a lot of sketch exercises before I got it to this point. While sketching, things like the belt line, cowl height, and wheel base where the things that I kept in mind while working out my design. On the final concept design that you see here – the belt line was raised up a little higher which gave the car a more dramatic look by reducing the greenhouse height. This also allowed for the cowl height to be up higher which in turn lets me angle the hood down more and still maintain enough clearance for the engine. The raised cowl bulge also gives me approximately another 1-1.5” of hood clearance over the engine. Look at the C5 and C6, there’s room for the engine without major issues. The raised belt line also allows me to get the rear CD reduced for less aerodynamic drag. These were the couple things that were integrated into my design that helped me to get the look I wanted.
The front grill – This is my favorite part of the whole car. I always thought that the ’69 Camaro grill was really aggressive lookin’ and very modern at the same time. It’s really clean, so what I did was leaned it back , and gave it an even more modern edge or look so that it could be retro yet fresh at the same time. Although it’s probably not the most aerodynamic solution, it looks great and helps to get ample cool air into the radiator.
Now we can have a whole other debate and wheel sizes and what’s too big or not but as a designer I have to think ahead. And what happens to the wheel sizes on OEM cars every couple years – they get bigger. Also since this is a concept and used to gauge reactions I took a little bit of liberty with the wheel sizes. Think of it this way – look at the C6 ZO6 – 18” and 19” wheels??!!!! Holy Cow they’re huge – and beautiful. Why couldn’t the Camaro come with wheels this size, maybe 18s for the Z/28 but man wouldn’t it be killer to see staggered diameter wheel sizes on let’s say an SS version? Heck yeah!
Anyways, I have just about finished up the rear ¾ view rendering and have a side view worked out. I hope to get these up soon. Scott’s hopefully still gonna help me with a web site soon that will show the rest of my 5th Gen “what if” sketches along with a lot of other examples of my designs and renderings.

I apologize if the image doesn't attach correctly. Can't seem to make this work. If it works great.

Thanks,
John
Old 11-22-2005, 07:18 AM

It is nice but I'm just feeling it.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:26 AM

What impresses me most is the way both 1st and 3rd gen's can easily be seen where the front fenders and hood meet. This is truly a beautiful design. It's my new desktop!!!
Old 11-22-2005, 07:39 AM
Prominent Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyGMachine1
Thanks guys. I don't know what happened to the rendering but it should be red not blue. I didn't do the blue. My red version is on Lateral-g.net and pro-touring.com. ...........Thanks,
John

I did that John....sorry, I'm a hard-core blue guy
Old 11-22-2005, 07:52 AM

Doug,

Before I looked @ the color change you made, I really liked the car, but seeing it in the blue Really like! The blue version is now my desktop.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:07 AM

Something about the grill just doesn't look right...too wide??...angles???
I like the Autoshark fornt end on the other thread...the rest looks good.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:16 AM

No problem Doug, it's up there for you guys to check out and have fun with. Please just nobody photochop it. It's my original design and I spent a lot of my own spare time developing it.

As far as the look of the car - read or re-read a comment by Trapin back on the Lateral-g board - really read it and think about it. That's all I can say.

John
Old 11-22-2005, 08:23 AM

That is very nice! I knew that as we got closer to January we'd start having new developements start to come up and I believe this is one of them. Even seeing Red Planet post up a comment like his tells me that this is on to something. Very encouraging!
Old 11-22-2005, 08:57 AM
Prominent Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyGMachine1
No problem Doug, it's up there for you guys to check out and have fun with. Please just nobody photochop it. It's my original design and I spent a lot of my own spare time developing it.

As far as the look of the car - read or re-read a comment by Trapin back on the Lateral-g board - really read it and think about it. That's all I can say.

John
You also got a thumbs up from Scott a few posts up....
Old 11-22-2005, 09:12 AM

Ok, I read what Trapin said, but I'm confused. This car has SOOO many elements of all the other retro designs that have floated around here, that to be honest, to me, it doesn't look any different than half a dozen other designs that have been posted here and shot down. What is so special about this one? Don't get me wrong, it's nice looking, but frankly, It is so close to ChrisH's, I don't see what's so different about this one. It looks like a '69 w/ a grille and headlights that are too small for the rest of it's proportions. Not like we haven't seen any of those before. I'm not meaning to dis this thing, but what's the big deal?
Old 11-22-2005, 09:15 AM
Prominent Member

I think it's the porportions are closer to reality than most...and a few small details....BUT, no-one's calling this "it" yet....just a "nice" "surprise".....

Quick Reply: My take on the next Camaro...Concept Rendering