2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM to keep Camaro buzz going....and a new book....

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 11:30 AM

Now that we know that the production version will be almost exactly the same (Thank you Ed Peper), and that Mr. Peper has SEEN it, the Camaro must be further along then we are led to believe. Is there really no way for GM to get this to market any earlier to help avoid this over-exporsure/disappointment???
Old 01-19-2007, 11:31 AM

Isn't this one (of many) of the things that hurt the SSR?
Old 01-19-2007, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck!
Isn't this one (of many) of the things that hurt the SSR?
That and the price tag!

and the lack of power vs. weight of the car..er...truck...er...roadster...
Old 01-19-2007, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by posaune
Now that we know that the production version will be almost exactly the same (Thank you Ed Peper), and that Mr. Peper has SEEN it, the Camaro must be further along then we are led to believe. Is there really no way for GM to get this to market any earlier to help avoid this over-exporsure/disappointment???
Whatever happened to the alledged testing that is supposed to go down down-under? I am still fairly confident that the Camaro will not be released until late 08, but it does certainly seem as though everything is already in place for the possibility of a late 07-mid 08 production.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:51 AM

I hope GM isn't making the launch date too solid just to keep in flow with their hefty advertising to launch schedule. Although different sources say "early 2009, or late 2008 as a 2009 model" (the wording is key and keeps camaro enthusiasts on their toes), I'm hoping that they aren't planning to hold the car back just so they can build the car up in excitement to what GM sees as the perfect time to launch the car. I don't see a problem with it coming out ahead of schedule during their advertising, but if GM keeps saying "it's coming out this date xxxx", it may not be able to come out any earlier.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by posaune
What's going to happen to the average consumer that views all of the advertising and tries to order one only to be told that the car can not be ordered for another 1 1/2 years??? They are not going to wait like we (the enthusiast) will.
Camaro isn't meant for the "average" consumer. Camaro buyers make their decisions based upon emotions. Even the V6 Camaro buyer cannot be considered "average".

I find it hard to believe that there exists any majority that bought their last Camaro after looking at all the other similar vehicles in the same category and made their final buying decision based upon economics, safety, reliability or availablity. Camaro buyers are a different breed and cannot simply be put in the same mold as someone that might by either a Civic or Camry based on similar criteria. Mustang buyers fall into a similar mold.

While GM may need to sell a ton of V6 Camaros to justify bringing the car back to life, that doesn't mean that anyone who buys anything other than the high performance V8 or the convertible is "average". Afterall, its still a Camaro.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:03 PM

Keep in mind folks, the plant needs to be setup for this desired "early release" . As of yet, no action inside . That's ultimately going to be the deciding factor.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:41 PM

There will be Challengers on dealer lots (or at least on trucks) before next spring, unless the program hits a snag. We're hearing that the production model will debut at this year's Woodward and the first cars will go down the line in November. The timing is a little vague because of the nature of the project -- this is a big step forward in Chrysler's flex manufacturing capabilities -- but they've said that the first Challengers would be 2008 models.

Given that GM isn't starting the re-do of Oshawa until November, it seems a safe bet that Challenger will beat Camaro to market. The question is, by how much?
Old 01-19-2007, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
There are a lot of people out there that still don't know GM stopped building Camaros in 2002. Actually of those folks its probably a 50/50 split that some thought Camaro was killed off before that, and some that thought they were still being built.

fixed
Old 01-19-2007, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Klypto
fixed
Good catch. It was still early here and I hadn't finished my first cup of Joe. I'm not a morning person.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
The Camaro coupe goes on sale in early 2009, followed several months later by the convertible.
Assuming this is correct, there will be some disappointed folks around here, per a thread or two from several months ago.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
Assuming this is correct, there will be some disappointed folks around here, per a thread or two from several months ago.
I wont be disappointed at all. My current one will be paid off in early 08, gives me plenty of time to save up without a car payment for a down payment

Hopefully it doesnt get over exposed. But like jg said, there are still quite a bit of people out there that dont even know about the new Camaro, even a full year after its big debut. So to them (the average non car nut joe) they will be getting their first glimpses of the car and then it will be out while all of us have been waiting painfully.

Plus a good couple of commercials, each highlighting different aspects of the car would a good way to roll it out without overdoing it. One could show the powertrain with the power figures and fuel efficiency, then one of the interior quality, etc.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:14 PM

I'm personally VERY impressed with how much money they are already committed to spending on a car that:
1: isn't out yet
2: Won't be out for 1-2years.

+1 for the book.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:40 PM

Nice, can't wait
Old 01-19-2007, 06:43 PM

Orders will be accepted once prices are announced, sometime near the production of the first model.
When will this happen? I'd like to see what the price is. I hope not too high, I'd like one mysel

Quick Reply: GM to keep Camaro buzz going....and a new book....