2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM had BETTER NOT...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 09:07 AM

PacerX

I gather you would also be totally against the LS7 being fitted to the Z/28 for a similar reason (hypereutectic pistons)?

The only alternative for big power is the LS9.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by PacerX
The only reason that the CTS-V should get cast is NVH. ...
Duh....what's NVH?
Old 09-29-2009, 09:39 AM

Noise, Vibration, Harshness.

This is especially critical in a luxury car.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:49 AM

they will be stupid to not put forged pistons it the z28.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
PacerX

I gather you would also be totally against the LS7 being fitted to the Z/28 for a similar reason (hypereutectic pistons)?

LS7 would be a different ball of wax.

To make more power on a NA motor, 9 times out of 10 you're going to cam it or work the heads (or both), meaning the motor is going to spin faster - this stresses the rods more than the pistons. The LS7 has magnificent con rods. Still, most modding of NA motors is aimed squarely there.

The LSA does apparently have forged rods... which makes the cast pistons all the more nonsensical, at least in a Z28 (I'll let the Cadillac ride... it's a Cadillac, make it quiet, I get it... sorta...).

With a blown motor, you're going after boost and higher cylinder pressures - which emphasizes the need for tough pistons. I could see them getting cammed also, but nowhere near as radical as the N/A motor would be, with the motor spinning far fewer rpm to make power.

Last edited by PacerX; 09-29-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen
like i said. there is no need to get so worked up over a car that you know 100% of NOTHING about.
I think you need to learn a bit more about that fellow before you completely brush him off 5thgen.

Originally Posted by SSbaby
PacerX

Agree. The LS7 is more expensive than the LSA.

However, I share PacerX's outrage regarding this. THERE IS NO REASON WHATSOEVER WHY GM CAN NOT USE FORGED INTERNALS ON THE LSA!

If you need any inspiration (beyon the fact that Ford's GT500 engine is superior and can be built up), please pick up a copy of "Iron Fist, Lead Foot by Frank Moriarty & John Coletti" and read about how with far less resources than GM, one year development time, next to no budget, and nothing more than a *****, and a determination to stick to a goal and make the most amazing engine possible, SVT created the supercharged Cobra engine... which with stock internals is capable of producing at least 1000 horsepower.

Again, I agree with PacerX.... It would be utter stupidiy of a monumental scale to create an engine THAT PEOPLE WILL MODIFY (let alone, has to stand up to abuse over the years) with internal components that are already at or near capacity.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:54 AM

I'd much rather see the Z/28 get a detuned version of the LS9 (minus the dry-sump) instead of the LSA (as it sits)... but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by guionM
I think you need to learn a bit more about that fellow before you completely brush him off 5thgen.

However, I share PacerX's outrage regarding this. THERE IS NO REASON WHATSOEVER WHY GM CAN NOT USE FORGED INTERNALS ON THE LSA!

If you need any inspiration (beyon the fact that Ford's GT500 engine is superior and can be built up), please pick up a copy of "Iron Fist, Lead Foot by Frank Moriarty & John Coletti" and read about how with far less resources than GM, one year development time, next to no budget, and nothing more than a *****, and a determination to stick to a goal and make the most amazing engine possible, SVT created the supercharged Cobra engine... which with stock internals is capable of producing at least 1000 horsepower.

Again, I agree with PacerX.... It would be utter stupidiy of a monumental scale to create an engine THAT PEOPLE WILL MODIFY (let alone, has to stand up to abuse over the years) with internal components that are already at or near capacity.
Guy,
I kind of agree with your statement and I kind of don't. SVT didn't create the Terminator or the GT motors themselves. They had help, a lot of help.

As it pertains to this thread, they did a superb job none the less. Putting their necks out there to do what was best for the vehicle was very important. Seems to be common sense, but it isn't always that easy. Having the 2001 debacle gave them quite a bit of firepower to push it all through.

Let's hope GM doesn't need a similar debacle to get the firepower they need...
Old 09-29-2009, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
I'd much rather see the Z/28 get a detuned version of the LS9 (minus the dry-sump) instead of the LSA (as it sits)... but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Absolutely, PacerX is dead on about this.

We should start another email campaign.

Cast Piston LSA = 7.5" 10-bolt rear end
Old 09-29-2009, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by guionM

im not brushing him off. all im saying is everyone is really getting worked up about "specualtions" of a z28. no one knows anything about this unicorn of a car.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:30 PM

all im saying is everyone is really getting worked up about "specualtions" of a z28. no one knows anything about this unicorn of a car.
But we do know GM's history.

All he is saying is that GM better not underengineer the motor, if this is really the direction they're taking.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:41 PM

well, instead of getting all stressed out and worked up over it, wait and see what they are going to do.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:46 PM

well, instead of getting all stressed out and worked up over it, wait and see what they are going to do.
If you sit on your hands and say nothing waiting to see what GM does, you get stuff like.....cast pistons in a supercharged motor.

Lot of people seem to have a problem with passion on display around here.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson

Only when certain passions are displayed time and nauseating time again. This is a new topic and a welcome breath of fresh air.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
If you sit on your hands and say nothing waiting to see what GM does, you get stuff like.....cast pistons in a supercharged motor.

there has been no hard core evidence that a z28 is going to even be built. you shouldnt stone GM for something that isnt even confirmed or denied.

Quick Reply: GM had BETTER NOT...