2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally seen a 5th Gen at an autox and.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 10:20 PM

The Camaro was out again last weekend. This time he was up against an FS 05 GTO on street tires. The GTO got him by about 7 tenths. I can tell he is still trying to figure the car out and he was much smoother this weekend. The car is a rocket ship out of the hole. One part of the course we had a small straight away and everyone said he was way quicker out of the whole than my ESP 4th gen. In my defense I do have a blown T2R and will hopefully be getting it changed next week.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

What is a T2R?
Old 07-31-2009, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
What is a T2R?
The high bias version of Torsen's T2 limited slip diff.

At one time it was the diff to have because they were supposed to last a long time, if not forever. They also had a heavier case (at one time).

Problem is that Torsen got bought out by somebody around 2004 IIRC (right about the time I bought mine ). As Brian, myself and many others have discovered, it seems that the diffs made from that point on don't last as long. Additionally they've even recently reverted back to using the lighter OEM style case.

The fried T2R in my car is also getting replaced. In my case it will be replaced by a carbon clutched Eaton next month. Because the last swap was so much fun....

Last edited by Chewbacca; 07-31-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Chewbacca
In my case it will be replaced by a carbon clutched Eaton next month. Because the last swap was so much fun....
I am going the same route. My buddy just put an Eaton in his 99 1LE and so far he loves it.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:44 PM

Thought I'd bump this one back from the dead and see if the OP ever got a chance to drive the 5th gen. I've been waiting for a 5th gen to show up locally, but haven't had the pleasure yet.

Originally Posted by TOO Z MAXX
The car is a rocket ship out of the hole. One part of the course we had a small straight away and everyone said he was way quicker out of the whole than my ESP 4th gen. In my defense I do have a blown T2R and will hopefully be getting it changed next week.
That doesn't surprise me. My car is in SM and I recently put a cammed LS3 in it. I've spent most of the season trying to figure out how to make the most of the damned things power (I'm still on the OEM Torsen with about 75K miles on it) without spinning or hitting things.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:58 PM

I still havent got my hands on the 5th gen yet, but when I do I will right up a report on my autox experience with it. Onm a side note I got TTOD last weekend at the local SFR SCCA event. Who says Camaros cant handle?
Old 09-30-2009, 08:44 PM

I still havent got my hands on the 5th gen yet, but when I do I will right up a report on my autox experience with it. Onm a side note I got TTOD last weekend at the local SFR SCCA event. Who says Camaros cant handle?
Looking forward to it.

Your opinion definitely would carry weight as you race your cars unlike a lot of ... err, commentators.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:36 AM

Congrats! Yeah fbodies do all right in the curves.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by SSbaby
Looking forward to it.

Your opinion definitely would carry weight as you race your cars unlike a lot of ... err, commentators.
Funny stuff considering you recently posted this garbage with regard to the very same issue of racing one's personal car versus not (ie. putting your money where your mouth is).

*OFF TOPIC EDIT* BTW Brian, what do you think of the Eaton so far? I'm really liking it in my car.

Last edited by Chewbacca; 10-01-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:19 PM

Funny stuff considering you recently posted this garbage with regard to the very same issue of racing one's personal car versus not (ie. putting your money where your mouth is).
You don't understand, it is only the racers' opinions of the 5th Gen that he likes that are "weight-carrying" ones.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by JasonD
Put the same driver in both cars, and then there is a good comparison.
We'll be able to compare it to his LS1 when he gets the chance to drive it, but I have a feeling it won't change the times much.

The f-body isn't a great auto-x platform. When you add ~500lbs to the curb weight, that isn't going to help.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:29 PM

You mean, as opposed to those who complained loudly about the car before they 'claimed to have' driven it?

At least,

1) that guy is interested to drive the car first.
2) interested in giving his opinions on the car around an environment which most people would only read about... and then invariably complain.

There is a tangible difference between taking gospel and sampling.

Btw, that garbage you refer to was you taking my comments out of context. Others were looking at some photos of Camaros and Mustangs and then generalizing the relative performance of those cars from the pictures. How stupid does that sound? That was the gist of my comments there, not what you misinterpreted.

Last edited by SSbaby; 10-01-2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:19 PM

You mean, as opposed to those who complained loudly about the car before they 'claimed to have' driven it?

At least,

1) that guy is interested to drive the car first.
2) interested in giving his opinions on the car around an environment which most people would only read about... and then invariably complain.
Interesting.....

I know for a fact someone can't hop into a C-5 and scare F-22 pilots with its aerobatic superiority. Hmmm... maybe what I know is wrong is because I have never flown either plane.

To make matters worse for your viewpoint, I know first hand what it takes to make a car handle. Unlike you, I live it / experience it every possible weekend.

There is a tangible difference between taking gospel and sampling.
Just as there is between personal experience and cold hard results versus blind fanboy worship and corporate marketing spin.

Last edited by Chewbacca; 10-01-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:53 AM

I will admit to being a skeptic about the new car's performance due to its extra weight and its tire and wheel package - you can only do so much to try and cheat physics.

However, the cars are to new and underdeveloped at this point to draw conclusions.

I was at a pro touring autocross two weeks ago when DSE brought there 5th gen test car out, but sadly they didn't run it.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:10 AM

Interesting.....

I know for a fact someone can't hop into a C-5 and scare F-22 pilots with its aerobatic superiority. Hmmm... maybe what I know is wrong is because I have never flown either plane.

To make matters worse for your viewpoint, I know first hand what it takes to make a car handle. Unlike you, I live it / experience it every possible weekend.

Just as there is between personal experience and cold hard results versus blind fanboy worship and corporate marketing spin.
What is interesting is your low self esteem. Maybe the cone-crunching gets the better of you each time you race... but I would have thought that somebody who races would be far more enthusiastic to car craft than you show.

A new Camaro should be exactly the thing you should be racing on the weekend... and developing it to be a fine racer. You say, you know what makes a car work, the Camaro is well balanced and the suspension is completely tunable... don't let the weight figures sap your enthusiasm.

It's not winning that matters, it's having fun and getting rewards for your efforts. You don't need me to tell you that, and the Camaro's weight shouldn't be an impediment to an amateur racer, like you. You're not racing for sheep stations...

Quick Reply: Finally seen a 5th Gen at an autox and.....