2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally seen a 5th Gen at an autox and.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 02:12 AM

Finally seen a 5th Gen at an autox and.....

it was interesting. First off the car looked great. It was a silver SS. Car was fairly flat and didnt nose dive all that bad, but the car pushed liked crazy. He ran right after an LT1 4th gen and the difference was night and day, but the LT1 was about a second faster. Both cars were totally stock and running street tires. Both drivers have about the same amount of autox experience too. I was in my ESP 4th gen and I was about 7 seconds faster than the 5th gen, but that is not really a fair comparison. The guy driving the 5th gen is going to let me drive it at an upcoming event, so I will let you all know what I think after driving it myself.
The owner of the 5th gen took me for a ride and I was impressed with the car. Feels way more nimble then I thought for a 3900 pound car, plus it hauls *** in a straight line.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by too z maxx
ihe ran right after an lt1 4th gen and the difference was night and day, but the lt1 was about a second faster. Both cars were totally stock and running street tires. Both drivers have about the same amount of autox experience too.
ouch!!
Old 07-20-2009, 01:13 PM
Admin Emeritus

Put the same driver in both cars, and then there is a good comparison.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:17 PM

Those pesky Laws of Physics, always getting in the way of a good time!
Old 07-21-2009, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
Those pesky Laws of Physics, always getting in the way of a good time!

I always found it interesting that there were so many on boards like these, who felt that those laws would never apply to this car.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:28 AM
2010 Camaro Moderator/Disciple

Originally Posted by Z284ever
I always found it interesting that there were so many on boards like these, who felt that those laws would never apply to this car.
I believe I was the first one to say "physics is physics"......
Old 07-21-2009, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisL
I believe I was the first one to say "physics is physics"......
I believe you are correct.....
Old 07-21-2009, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

What class do the 2010s run in? If not FStock, what else is in that class?

Originally Posted by JasonD
Put the same driver in both cars, and then there is a good comparison.
I wouldn't assume that someone who is good at piloting a relatively lightweight 4th gen would be equally good at piloting a 5th gen.

I'd prefer to wait and let people get used to their 5th gens, and compare their performance against that of people who are used to their 4th gens.

I don't recall anyone saying they felt that way. On the contrary, I remember people like you ranting at people because you thought they felt that way.

I do recall many people saying that a lot of things can be done with modern technology to combat/counteract the implications of those laws. You know as well as I do that weight is not the only difference between a 4th gen and a 5th gen.

IMO, only one second behind is pretty darn good considering the extra 500 pounds. I'd say GM did a great job.

Also, do you think anyone with a 5th gen has had so much seat time that it's unlikely they'd be able to shave off another second from their autocross lap time?
Old 07-21-2009, 11:08 AM

The Laws of Physics apply to all cars and every other moving object, except the Nissan GT-R.
Science is fun!
Old 07-21-2009, 11:12 AM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
I wouldn't assume that someone who is good at piloting a relatively lightweight 4th gen would be equally good at piloting a 5th gen.
I was thinking it would be better to use the same driver for both cars than two different drivers with similar levels of experience. I suppose an even better comparison would be to have both drivers drive both cars.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:19 PM

I don't recall anyone saying they felt that way. On the contrary, I remember people like you ranting at people because you thought they felt that way.

I do recall many people saying that a lot of things can be done with modern technology to combat/counteract the implications of those laws. You know as well as I do that weight is not the only difference between a 4th gen and a 5th gen.

What a contradictory post.

As you usually do, you're going off on a weird tangent, which has more to do with your personal vendetta against me, than the subject at hand.

Get over it already, it's getting boring.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:51 PM
Admin Emeritus

Weird tangent? I thought this was about autox and not criticizing the hopes of site members? Perhaps we should all get back to that.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by TOO Z MAXX
The owner of the 5th gen took me for a ride and I was impressed with the car. Feels way more nimble then I thought for a 3900 pound car, plus it hauls *** in a straight line.
I gotta give you credit here as I remember you weren't entirely happy with the 5G's specs given your love for racing...

I can't wait for your review of the Camaro around the track and your overall impressions on the car's 'fun factor'!
Old 07-21-2009, 08:51 PM

IMO, only one second behind is pretty darn good considering the extra 500 pounds. I'd say GM did a great job.
You don't autocross much do you?

"Only" one second is a pretty good thrashing in Solo competition. At the last national event I participated in earlier this month, there were six drivers within one second of each other.... after two days of competition. The full spread between first to eighth (of 11) was just two seconds, again after two full days of competition. That was me in eighth and though you would say that it was "only" one second per day, I have no problem saying that I got demolished. Really.

Don't believe me? Go out and find a equal driver to yourself driving an equal car. Then try to put a full second on him.

When you consider that the faster car in this situation was chock full of late '80s tech and carried something near a 150 hp deficit..... well, the boasts made by some on this board regarding the new car's handling performance seem downright silly and childish, don'tcha think?

I'd love to gloat about being right but this honestly gives me no joy.

And yes. It is all but official that the new car will be classed in F Stock and E Street Prepared.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Chewbacca
You don't autocross much do you?
Not as much as I'd like, but I think you missed the part where I said "considering the extra 500 pounds". It takes more than horsepower to make up that much weight on a typical low-speed autocross course.

I still think that 5th gen autocross drivers need more time to get used to their cars before we start making comparisons.

Quick Reply: Finally seen a 5th Gen at an autox and.....