2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Considering Chevy's Current Model Designations Will We See Z28 Again?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 12:18 PM

Re: Considering Chevy's Current Model Designations Will We See Z28 Again?

Originally Posted by km9v
They should keep it simple, a base V6 & Z28 V8.

NO!

Old 11-29-2005, 12:40 PM

How about Iroc-Z's?
Old 11-29-2005, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by NewbieWar
hasnt the SS always been better then The Z... so why make in the 5th gen the Z top dog?

but Z28 is definatly a must, i often say to people Nice Z or nice Z28, if its a V6 i generally just say nice car...
the only time the SS has been better than the Z28 was the 4th gen
Old 11-29-2005, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by stars1010
NO!

Why not? For marketing simplicity, I think they should just have 2 models. It should help keep costs down.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Close. Super Sport has always meant the top of the line trim package for each Chevy model line in terms of performance and luxury. RPO-Z28 was created so Chevrolet could go road racing.
Super Sport was never the top pure performance package in first gen Camaros, that's Z28. SS started out more as a luxury package with a little straight line performance. When the Z/28 option package first came about, you could only order it with a base model Camaro, then you got the 4 speed, 302, disc brakes, and suspension. The Z/28 was originally about pure performance, the SS was a mixture. Just because the SS could come with a big block doesn't mean it was a better performance car.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:10 PM
Prominent Member

This poor old horse ain't even got a small pile of hair left to to beat on....let it go guys, we'll see what Chevy does in January or shortly there-after...this decision has already been made....

Just for giggles though..I think me & Charlie (and many others) are going to be pleased...
Old 11-29-2005, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by km9v
Why not? For marketing simplicity, I think they should just have 2 models. It should help keep costs down.
Because that worked SO well in the 4th gen right?
Old 11-29-2005, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Doug Harden

Just for giggles though..I think me & Charlie (and many others) are going to be pleased...
And me!
Old 11-29-2005, 02:07 PM

This poor old horse ain't even got a small pile of hair left to to beat on....let it go guys, we'll see what Chevy does in January or shortly there-after...this decision has already been made....

Old 11-29-2005, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by stangitr
When the Z/28 option package first came about, you could only order it with a base model Camaro, then you got the 4 speed, 302, disc brakes, and suspension.
Actually that's not true. RPOZ28 could be ordered combined with Rally Sport (RPOZ22) and also the deluxe interior package. While, 4-speed, 302 and no A/C was std; it was never a base model Camaro only package. While it could not be ordered with SS, had GM been able to get 350 to qualify for Trans Am, the Z28 may have never exisited.
Originally Posted by stangitr
The Z/28 was originally about pure performance, the SS was a mixture. Just because the SS could come with a big block doesn't mean it was a better performance car.
The Z28 was a Trans Am racer car dressed up as a street car. It was never about pure performance. It was about road racing.

Also, I never said the SS was better. Read and comprehend my whole post next time will you? You're preaching to the choir my friend. I am a charter member of the Z28 is top dog club.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by CLEAN
That may be a bit harsh, but I agree with you that I wish the Z28 was more than a base car with a V8 in it and a black roof.
1LE
Old 11-29-2005, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Red Planet
Look at it this way......

When people say "I drive a Z28...."...a lot (and I do mean a lot) of people right away know it's a Camaro. When they say "I drive an SS"....you really have no idea of what the car or truck is...other than a Chevy.

Another thought.....

....the SS went away for quite a few years ....then returned.

(am I making you crazy yet???)

hmmmm....by reading between the lines it seems that the Z28 moniker will be the "top" camaro.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:40 PM

If GM is going to bring the Camaro back and with it the Z28, there are several here that say the new Z28 must be a road racing based version much like the Corvette Z06, including down to the Z06 LS7 power plant. This is what the Z28 was originally, a racecar thinly disguised for the street. I fall into that camp. I want a no nonsense brute of a Camaro for a weekend toy on the street and at the track. It has to be the best handling coupe in the marketplace with enough horsepower and torque to back it up. In all honesty, the 4th gen Z28 was just too vanilla to carry the Z28 name honorably.
...I think the Z/28 should come back as the "hardcore" performance model, (with an optional 1LE package to take to things even further). The "SS" should be more of the "softcore" performance model, ie: more luxury appointments, softer suspension tuning...Something that's is really fast and handles really well, w/o being too extreme for most people for everyday use. The Z/28 and Z/28 1LE should be absolutely brutal in every aspect of performance. Acceleration, braking, handling...No compromises should be made to try to "soften" them up. As much as I love my Z/28 I always get in it and feel like alot more could have been done performance wise...It shouldn't be that way with the new model
Old 11-29-2005, 04:25 PM

Actually that's not true. RPOZ28 could be ordered combined with Rally Sport (RPOZ22) and also the deluxe interior package. While, 4-speed, 302 and no A/C was std; it was never a base model Camaro only package. While it could not be ordered with SS, had GM been able to get 350 to qualify for Trans Am, the Z28 may have never exisited.
The Z28 was a Trans Am racer car dressed up as a street car. It was never about pure performance. It was about road racing.

Also, I never said the SS was better. Read and comprehend my whole post next time will you? You're preaching to the choir my friend. I am a charter member of the Z28 is top dog club.
The RS was the base V8 Camaro.

And if the trans am C.I. limit back then was 350c.i....there would still be a Z28, just with a 350 cubic inch engine.

If the Z28 was about road racing, how could it not be about pure performance? It was a homologated race car, it was about performance and really nothing else. I never said straight line performance.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:37 PM

Quick Reply: Considering Chevy's Current Model Designations Will We See Z28 Again?