2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering Chevy's Current Model Designations Will We See Z28 Again?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 10:50 PM

Considering Chevy's Current Model Designations Will We See Z28 Again?

When the 5th gen comes rolling off the assembly line do you think Z28 will be in the pkg. Current and past Chevy trends have me worried for instance none of the other Z designations are currently being used except Z06, though none of the others attained legendary status like Z28. During the final years of the 4th gen it seemed the Z28 got looked over, while the SS kept getting minor revisions. None of the options filtered down to the Z28 not even a 35th Anniversary pkg.

Is this what we might see in trim levels given Chevys current use of LS, LT, etc. designations?

Camaro (base or LS)
Camaro LT
Camaro LTZ
Camaro SS

Someone posted that the Z28 will return as the top dog Camaro, if that is true then we should see it later, if sales are strong enough to warrant a more powerful model. I hope this is true, though waiting even longer for the Z28 will be really hard.

This is what I would like to see:

Camaro (base) 3.9L 240hp
Camaro RS 3.9L S/C 285hp, (optional 5.3L bargin V8 model)
Camaro SS 5.3L 350hp
Camaro Z28 6.2L 450hp

Last edited by 30thZ286speed; 11-28-2005 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:52 PM

Re: Considering Chevy's Current Model Designations Will We See Z28 Again?

I don't think it will use all of the same trim level designations as other cars in the lineup. As far as I know, the Z28 will be the top level Camaro...but what do I know.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:31 PM

It's been said by quite a few people smarter than me that Z28 is one of the most recognizable automotive term the general public knows. For GM to ignore that would be a big mistake, not only with traditional Camaro enthusiasts but with possible other buyers.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:38 PM

Do a search; I feel like already answered this question 3 times today alone.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by CamaroRSguy
It's been said by quite a few people smarter than me that Z28 is one of the most recognizable automotive term the general public knows. For GM to ignore that would be a big mistake, not only with traditional Camaro enthusiasts but with possible other buyers.
True, "Z28" always registers as strictly Camaro with most people. When people hear "SS", they think "Impala? *****? Chevelle? What?"
Old 11-29-2005, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by stars1010
Do a search; I feel like already answered this question 3 times today alone.

It may have been touched on here and there in misc threads, so I decided to start a thread on it, even though I know most if not all here feel the Z28 name/RPO should come back, but does GM see it that way?
Old 11-29-2005, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by 30thZ286speed
It may have been touched on here and there in misc threads, so I decided to start a thread on it, even though I know most if not all here feel the Z28 name/RPO should come back, but does GM see it that way?
I'm sorry, I came off rude, I'm tired.

From everything I've heard, yes the Z28 is coming back as the top V8 model about two years after 5th gen is launched.

The SS will be the mid level V8 but will be introduced the first year of production along with the base v6.

We should have convertibles the second year of production.

The only real debate and speculation is over what two V8s will be used in the SS and Z28. I have no clue to be honest on this topicand I think most people here are in the same boat with me.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:21 AM

I too want to see the base/RS/SS/Z28 line up. Will have to wait and see! Posting to get rid of the heading requesting me to do so!
Old 11-29-2005, 01:49 AM

Not only will you see, but you'll hear it too IMO. (hopefully it'll sound a little better than the regular high powered LSx's)
Old 11-29-2005, 02:15 AM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Look at it this way......

When people say "I drive a Z28...."...a lot (and I do mean a lot) of people right away know it's a Camaro. When they say "I drive an SS"....you really have no idea of what the car or truck is...other than a Chevy.

Another thought.....

....the SS went away for quite a few years ....then returned.

(am I making you crazy yet???)
Old 11-29-2005, 06:49 AM

Is it me, or does it really matter what designation the top Camaro gets? (Doesn't to me)

I really don't think there will be 2 v8 options, I think you guys are setting yourself up for a HUGE disappointment.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:49 AM

Will the REAL SS please stand up?

To expand on the model distinction through appropriate badging theme, I'd like to see GM take this a step further and follow along with the same formula they used with the C6 in reference to how much the body panels differ from the base model to the Z06.

If we're to assume that it's going to be a retro offering, I think it would be ultra cool to see them make the base models look like the 67'-68' Camaro, and the top model look like the 69'. Since the 69's look was pretty much immortalized because it was only seen for one model year, I think utilizing these visual cues would add significantly to it's "must have" status.

A side benefit of going this route would be that if this time around it took more than just bolting on cheap aftermarket badges, hood, rear spoiler and wheels to make a V6 look like an SS, I think it would go pretty far in preventing the SS's marqui value from getting watered down in the public's eye and help make the additional $10K premium to get that model seem more justifiable.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:14 AM

In other words...base car V6, possible V8 option. SS has either small V8 standard w/ optional big V8, Or one or the other as the only engine. Then Z/28 comes out in a few years w/ top V8 and high end handling/performance options.

We have the current practice of Chevrolet making the SS as the top model of all their cars except the Corvette, which gets a Z model. The question is, is the top performing Camaro more closely related to a Corvette, or a Cobalt/Malibu/Impala/Trailblazer/HHR. I think the former .

edit: upon further review of Reds post, it could go the other way too. If more people associate Z28 with Camaro, then it might be wise to stick w/ what people know until the new car is established. If that happens, I just hope that it's not just a base looking car w/ a V8 like last time.

Last edited by CLEAN; 11-29-2005 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Red Planet
(am I making you crazy yet???)
Umm...yes.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:46 AM

hasnt the SS always been better then The Z... so why make in the 5th gen the Z top dog?

but Z28 is definatly a must, i often say to people Nice Z or nice Z28, if its a V6 i generally just say nice car...

Quick Reply: Considering Chevy's Current Model Designations Will We See Z28 Again?