2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Concept the same as production, 500HP an option.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 04:43 PM

a high output V6 != V8

if that happens then i'll just skip it and buy a corvette instead.

I hope they release the final details soon, i'm already saving up .
Old 01-11-2007, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by DvBoard
a high output V6 != V8

if that happens then i'll just skip it and buy a corvette instead.

I hope they release the final details soon, i'm already saving up .

why not just get the v8 camaro. wanting a base v8 and jumping to a vette bc it doesnt exist so kind of a big leap imo.

im reading it as there will be 2 v6's and a v8 the first year and then a year later another v8 will come out.

im going to say 230-240 hp base, 265-285hp hi po v6, (im guessing the engines in the aura but with a bit of a power boost) then 425hp v8 (LS3) first year. then the next year a 500 hp SC LS3
Old 01-11-2007, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by DrewSG
I don't think they're dumb enough to skip a base V8.
Last time Camaro had a "base" V8 was in 1991 with the 305.

Want to rethink your comment Drew??

As for the V6s, a middle V6 isn't news.

The mid V6 will probally be the most popular Camaro by far. It's going to be the "High Content" version with LT1-like horsepower, so unless one is truly compensating for a certain....er... deficientcy (or has a warped sense of what quick really is) the V6 is going to be enough to make a huge impression on 90% of even performance buyers. With Holden doing the IRS work, there shouldn't be any power loss (and praying no "GM-Sigma wheelhop"), and it should put the power down well enough to keep a Mustang GT from running away from it.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Chris 96 WS6
Promising that it appears the "Corvette rule" isn't in effect. I think a cost rule is however (which makes the LS7 out of the question before anybody asks).

I'm expecting LS3 in the SS and some as-yet unidentified higher HP LSx when the Z28 comes out in another year or two.
the ls7 and ls2 life cycle is over 07/08 model year.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
the V6 is going to be enough to make a huge impression on 90% of even performance buyers. With Holden doing the IRS work, there shouldn't be any power loss (and praying no "GM-Sigma wheelhop"), and it should put the power down well enough to keep a Mustang GT from running away from it.
I'm afraid that at some point, we are going to have to let go of the V8 or die mentality. To Guy's point, V6s are reaching 300HP with ease these days, and we shouldn't think that GM can't make a kick butt Camaro with a hi-po V6. Killing a Mudstain with 6 would just be tooooo sweet.

Remeber that BMW has a TT 6 in the 3 series coup now and it's a 13 second car.......
Old 01-11-2007, 09:08 PM
Prominent Member

Shouldn't 6 cylinders also be cheaper to insure?
Old 01-11-2007, 09:23 PM

So basically we have it in stone that there will be at least 4 engine options in the 5th gens.( base V6, premium V6, V8, and blown V8) I consider that to be really strange news. I did not anticipate GM putting two different V6's into the car.

This is a questionable move IMO, simply because there is going to be a new Camaro that is devoted ENTIRELY to being economical. This could lead to basically a new "Iron duke" situation all over again.

I mean, this is a muscle car! Sure we want it get semi-decent gas mileage, but if we wanted low power/low budget/low displacement vehicles, we would buy a Kia!!!!
Old 01-11-2007, 10:16 PM

I don't think that the blown V8 is a done deal. At least I hope not.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:37 PM

Its all good news to me. I think first of all he was probably referring to the exterior when he said they are almost identical. Of the interior or exterior its plain to see that the interior has a lot more features that the production may not be able to have. I would think they will do some tweaks to interior based on a number of issues. Either way I like the interior too.

As for power we all know the V8 will be a hit. What I like is that GM is thinking about a V6 for those with insurance, cost or economy issues that will give them a choice of a V6 with more power and one with more economy but still in the same hot coupe. I had mentioned in the past that a hybrid wouldn't be a bad choice and hey if its offered I think there are those who'd go for it.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:05 AM

The mid V6 will probally be the most popular Camaro by far. It's going to be the "High Content" version with LT1-like horsepower, so unless one is truly compensating for a certain....er... deficientcy (or has a warped sense of what quick really is) the V6 is going to be enough to make a huge impression on 90% of even performance buyers. With Holden doing the IRS work, there shouldn't be any power loss (and praying no "GM-Sigma wheelhop"), and it should put the power down well enough to keep a Mustang GT from running away from it.
I highly doubt a mid level v-6 will make a huge impression on 90% of even performance drivers. This is a CAMARO, not a 350z,S2000 or Supra. A v-6 in the 350z with 300 h.p. works, why? It's smaller, lighter and has two less seats to deal with. The Camaro is a Musclecar the existense of Camaro/Mustang is based on the base models, but a mid level v-6 won't cut it. I agree with the lower h.p. v-6 for highschool kids,girls and the driver just starting out. These buyers want a good looking, fun and economical buy for the money. Thats what the lower v-6 offers. I really think there should only be one v-6, and 3 v-8s. A v-6 economical 18k, a 5.3 RS say 25k, a 6.2 Z28 28k, and a 7.0 or 6.2 supercharged SS model for the baby boomer thats wants the fastest Camaro knowing he/she can afford the insurance without a problem.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
I don't think that the blown V8 is a done deal. At least I hope not.
Why would you "hope not"? Wouldn't that be the engine slated for the rumored Z28?
Old 01-12-2007, 03:56 AM

Guy, it seems GM is winding back the hands of time a little further than 1991 with the 5th-gen . When's the last time they offered 2 V6's in the Camaro?? From everything we've seen so far with this car, they are pretty much pulling all the stops, and re-writing the rules it seems! Heck, they're even letting go of the "Camaro < Corvette" attitude! They're finally realizing that it's ok to build a "great" Camaro, and market it to a broader audience than the small "niche" who always have and always will continue to buy Corvettes for their specific purpose.

The mid V6 will probally be the most popular Camaro by far. It's going to be the "High Content" version with LT1-like horsepower, so unless one is truly compensating for a certain....er... deficientcy (or has a warped sense of what quick really is) the V6 is going to be enough to make a huge impression on 90% of even performance buyers.
While the majority of people on the board would probably disagree (V8's > all ), in reality, that's probably true .
Old 01-12-2007, 08:55 AM
Disciple

Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada (20 min. down the road from the "Shwa"!)
Originally Posted by LandonElf
So basically we have it in stone that there will be at least 4 engine options in the 5th gens.( base V6, premium V6, V8, and blown V8) I consider that to be really strange news. I did not anticipate GM putting two different V6's into the car.

This is a questionable move IMO, simply because there is going to be a new Camaro that is devoted ENTIRELY to being economical. This could lead to basically a new "Iron duke" situation all over again.

I mean, this is a muscle car! Sure we want it get semi-decent gas mileage, but if we wanted low power/low budget/low displacement vehicles, we would buy a Kia!!!!
I'd suggest that in order for this car to be viable in terms of profitability, there must be an "economical" Camaro. This is the car that will be the "bread and butter" of the line. It will appeal to the part of the market that Camaro is attempting to (and needs to) recapture , i.e. many of the under 30 crowd and female buyers.
Affordability and economical operation (including insurance) are the "performance" priorities of this market. They will be drawn to the car because of its looks, style and image. High performance in this market segment is a non-issue.
However, without the volume of sales produced in this segment by this V6, you can probably kiss the V8/Top Dawg Camaro good-bye, as there is no way there would be enough sales of that vehicle to support a business case for the car.
We "performance crazies" are in the minority. This has already been borne out with the low sales volume of the 4th gen cars.
I'm guessin' the GM would be jumpin' for joy (and so would we!) if the 5th Gen produced more V6 sales than the Mustang!

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 01-12-2007, 09:17 AM

I don't mind the idea of two V6's, as long as there is still a somewhat affordable V8. My concern after reading this is that the one V8 might be pretty exclusive and expensive if it's the only one...for all we know it might be the super duper version for the Z/28 only. Myself, I've owned several of the fastest and most powerful small displacement cars ever sold in their time (Esprit Turbo SE 2.2L Turbo, SVO 2.3L Turbo, M3 3.2L, S4 2.7L Bi(twin) Turbo) etc. While they were loads of fun and the handling was top rate, they were all sold because of my love of the V8 rumble. If it doesn't remind me personally of my past F-bodies and 1st gen's, then I don't see the point in owning one...and that's a pretty big gamble for Chevrolet. I'm not the only nostalgic buyer out there, and if they eliminate us, they alienate a lot of their core buyers. I understand that they want to break new ground and attract new buyers....but the groundwork is there for them already if they cater to those of us that have bought them in the past for what they were, and what they should be, a fun and economical V8 sport coupe.

If there isn't a Camaro with a V8 at a price that I'm willing to spend, I'll have to pass. If I want a sporty V6, I'll go for a svelte one that is built entirely around exceeding with a small motor, like my M3 was...not a 3800lb sledgehammer of a car.

Last edited by 2lane69; 01-12-2007 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
When's the last time they offered 2 V6's in the Camaro??
1996?

Quick Reply: Concept the same as production, 500HP an option.