2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Concept the same as production, 500HP an option.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 02:35 PM

Concept the same as production, 500HP an option.

This is a interview from Ed Peper (General Manager of Chevrolet) and autoblog.

Autoblog: Let's change gears and talk performance. Obviously, there's Corvette, but let's stay away from that for the moment and focus on the Camaro. You've already mentioned the convertible concept which obviously telegraphs your intent to do a production version.

Ed Peper: Yes.

Autoblog: The styling's been a hit for both the coupe and the convertible. How closely are you looking to match the concept's styling -- especially the interior -- on the production version of the Camaro.

Ed Peper: It's going to be very, very close. I have seen the production coupe, and if you saw the two of them side by side -- the production coupe and the concept coupe we introduced last year -- you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. It is very minute. I mean, obviously you have to make some exceptions when translating a concept to production, but it's going to be very, very close. This is not like a wild concept that we come back and can't realistically build the same sort of vehicle for production. No, it is going to be very close.

Autoblog: Have you guys arrived at a final decision for the top powertrain?

Ed Peper: No, not yet. We will have a V8, a couple of V6s -- you know, we'll have a fuel efficient V6 and we'll have a high performing V6 and we will have a high performing V8 but we haven't settled on the engine in that yet.

Autoblog: 500 horsepower appears to be the magic number with the musclecars that the other manufacturers are coming out with, so is that your target?

Ed Peper: Certainly we haven't made a decision yet, but it's in our scheme – it's in our scheme of thoughts, yes.

Autoblog: Is there concern about stepping on the Corvette, power-wise?

Ed Peper: No. Because again, the capabilities of a Corvette are world class. I mean, we are talking about a vehicle that competes in the American Le Mans Series with Aston Martins and all –no, there is no concern because what the Camaro is going to be is what it has always been, which is a really great looking vehicle that will have a muscle car or muscle car set of derivatives with it, but that will also have a fuel efficient version. It's a vehicle that you really, really can drive every single day -- a four seater and so forth, while Corvette is in a class all by itself. It's one of our ultimate brands at the company that just continues to do well. We try to keep the production, you know, in line and not build too many so it keeps a very strong demand. The Z06s are some of the fastest turning vehicles that we have.
<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
<!--[endif]-->The dealers just can't get enough of them and, you know, we intentionally in some ways want to keep it that way because we want to make them very, very tight and hard to get and that is what builds a really strong brand.

Autoblog: The Viper has 600 horsepower now, so what's the plan for Corvette?

Ed Peper: We're looking at some things going forward. I can't talk about them right now, though.

Last edited by jbres79; 01-11-2007 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:59 PM

I'm pretty disturbed about the part where he said you won't be able to tell the difference between the concept interior and the production interior. The interior is what I haven't worried about up to this point because I mean, it it just so horrible....HORRIBLE....that I just assumed it would be completely redone.

That said, I already plan to buy this car, but I won't buy it with that interior.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:03 PM

Promising that it appears the "Corvette rule" isn't in effect. I think a cost rule is however (which makes the LS7 out of the question before anybody asks).

I'm expecting LS3 in the SS and some as-yet unidentified higher HP LSx when the Z28 comes out in another year or two.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:04 PM

Great find!
Old 01-11-2007, 03:12 PM

Interesting, I thought they were only going with 1 V6 and that the 2 V6 plan was dropped......
Old 01-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Admin Emeritus

Originally Posted by 1badLS1M6
I'm pretty disturbed about the part where he said you won't be able to tell the difference between the concept interior and the production interior. The interior is what I haven't worried about up to this point because I mean, it it just so horrible....HORRIBLE....that I just assumed it would be completely redone.
I wouldn't worry much, I don't think that he was referring to the interior but the exterior. I would bet that the interior will be similar, but not identical.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by 1badLS1M6

That said, I already plan to buy this car, but I won't buy it with that interior.
im with you on this one, they better nail the interior or im buying something else
Old 01-11-2007, 03:39 PM

Even though I dislike the instrument cluster, the rest of the interior is great and the exterior is awesome. I'm glad to hear the whole car will be very close because I love the concept and I would hate a watered down version. The bad instrument cluster would not be a deal breaker for me, the rest of the car is too good to pass up.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:45 PM

Good to hear!
Old 01-11-2007, 03:45 PM

so, who is willing to risk everything they got(including their life) for the good of all, and sneak in to get a few shots of the production version?? I vote Jason
Old 01-11-2007, 03:49 PM

Very good article, definitely opens the door to a few possibilities.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:13 PM

He says they will have 2 v6's and A V8. I want an affordable V8 Camaro. If they have a single V8 option, thats near 500hp, it wont be affordable. While I dont think that will happen, thats what I just read.

Maybe he is not including a motor above the affordable V8.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:17 PM
2010 Camaro Moderator/Disciple

Originally Posted by L.A. Z
He says they will have 2 v6's and A V8. I want an affordable V8 Camaro. If they have a single V8 option, thats near 500hp, it wont be affordable. While I dont think that will happen, thats what I just read.

the base V8 will be affordable, and will be competetively priced vs Mustang, and will run circles around it to boot.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:34 PM

I don't think they're dumb enough to skip a base V8.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:34 PM
Disciple

Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada (20 min. down the road from the "Shwa"!)
Originally Posted by L.A. Z

Autoblog: Have you guys arrived at a final decision for the top powertrain?

Ed Peper: No, not yet. We will have a V8, a couple of V6s -- you know, we'll have a fuel efficient V6 and we'll have a high performing V6 and we will have a high performing V8 but we haven't settled on the engine in that yet.
From what I take this to mean... there will be a V8 and 2 V6s... that have already been decided upon.
Peper says specifically that there will be a "high performing" (as opposed to just a V8), but the final decision for what that engine will be, has not been made yet.

Best regardSS,

Elie

Last edited by sselie; 01-11-2007 at 04:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Concept the same as production, 500HP an option.