2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Concept the same as production, 500HP an option.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 10:12 AM

I thought that I saw on here or another site that the Base V8 was the best selling V8 in the second and third Gen. I can't find where I read that now.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Sixer-Bird
Why would you "hope not"? Wouldn't that be the engine slated for the rumored Z28?

Because I'm not really sure that's where I want the Z/28 to go. In normally aspirated form - near 500 hp will be available in a smaller, lighter, cheaper, more responsive, less complex package. I just don't see the need or desire for a heavier, expensive, less fun to drive, supercharged motor.

I don't especially want the Z/28 to become the Camaro GT500. We shouldn't lose our focus on what the spiritual essence of the Z/28 is. GT500? It's cool alright. But I just see it as a Mustang GT with big brakes, 200 more horsepower, $15,000 more cost and 400 lbs more heft. Not my ideal formula for a Z/28.

I'd rather have a lighter weight, less expensive, more fun to drive, 450-485 hp normally aspirated Z/28. And I wouldn't be surprised if it put the hurt on the big bad GT500 either.

Last edited by Z284ever; 01-12-2007 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:38 AM
Prominent Member

Preach it Charlie...
Old 01-12-2007, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by 1badLS1M6
I'm pretty disturbed about the part where he said you won't be able to tell the difference between the concept interior and the production interior. The interior is what I haven't worried about up to this point because I mean, it it just so horrible....HORRIBLE....that I just assumed it would be completely redone.

That said, I already plan to buy this car, but I won't buy it with that interior.
I agree completely. I am absolutely in love with the exterior of this car, but I loathe the interior. If they leave the interior unchanged it is going to be hard for me to pull the trigger. I hope the interior either gets a face-lift or it grows on me between now and then.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:12 AM

I'm glad the production version is going to be very close to the concept. I wasn't sure about the concept interior, but it's really grown on me and now seeing the concept vert with the white instead of that ugly orange I like it even more. My big concern is the steering wheel, I hope it stays like it is. The huge airbags they liked to use on the older Camaros made the steering wheels look ugly and feel clunky.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
I don't especially want the Z/28 to become the Camaro GT500. We shouldn't lose our focus on what the spiritual essence of the Z/28 is. GT500? It's cool alright. But I just see it as a Mustang GT with big brakes, 200 more horsepower, $15,000 more cost and 400 lbs more heft. Not my ideal formula for a Z/28.

I'd rather have a lighter weight, less expensive, more fun to drive, 450-485 hp normally aspirated Z/28. And I wouldn't be surprised if it put the hurt on the big bad GT500 either.
Me either. The Corvette with 100 less HP than the GT500 outperforms it in almost all (if not all) aspects IIRC.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:33 AM

Because I'm not really sure that's where I want the Z/28 to go. In normally aspirated form - near 500 hp will be available in a smaller, lighter, cheaper, more responsive, less complex package. I just don't see the need or desire for a heavier, expensive, less fun to drive, supercharged motor.

So what is the difference in weight between the top dog Camaro whether its NA or FI? About 100 to 150 pounds worth of blower and assorted hardware. Where is this 400 pounds coming from? And we arent talking about the Mustang, we're talking about a car which hasnt even been produced yet. If you build a car to handle a 450-485 hp NA motor, the weight should be pretty much identical to one built for a 500 hp FI motor (plus the weight of the blower). There shoudlnt be a huge different in weight. I would also gladly pay a little more for a forged (if built right) blower motor that I could just change the pulley on and get instant power gains. Chevy [I]can[I/] build a fun-to-drive, FI, 500hp Camaro that is lighter and cheaper than the GT500. And hopefully they will, cause I want it.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by 91 Camaro RS
Me either. The Corvette with 100 less HP than the GT500 outperforms it in almost all (if not all) aspects IIRC.
Excuse my ignorance, but what does IIRC mean?
Old 01-12-2007, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
When's the last time they offered 2 V6's in the Camaro??
Originally Posted by CLEAN
1996?
Ok, so there was a cross-over year!! That doesn't count though!
Old 01-12-2007, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Chocolate Apocalypse
So what is the difference in weight between the top dog Camaro whether its NA or FI? About 100 to 150 pounds worth of blower and assorted hardware. Where is this 400 pounds coming from? And we arent talking about the Mustang, we're talking about a car which hasnt even been produced yet. If you build a car to handle a 450-485 hp NA motor, the weight should be pretty much identical to one built for a 500 hp FI motor (plus the weight of the blower). There shoudlnt be a huge different in weight. I would also gladly pay a little more for a forged (if built right) blower motor that I could just change the pulley on and get instant power gains. Chevy [I]can[I/] build a fun-to-drive, FI, 500hp Camaro that is lighter and cheaper than the GT500. And hopefully they will, cause I want it.
I said 400 lbs because I WAS talking about the Mustang. Even at an additional 100-150 lbs - you don't think having that over the nose is a big deal for a pony car? Cause I do. And what if GM realizes that people will be doing just what you're saying - pulley changes - and decide to go with an iron block instead of aluminum to protect against crazy boost? And what if GM adds another 100 lbs to the drivetrain as well, as insurance against pulley swappers? You see, unintended consequences. Next thing you know, we've got a Camaro GT500.

As far as your willingness to pay "alittle more"? Wishful thinking. You'd pay several THOUSAND more.

Last edited by Z284ever; 01-12-2007 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:04 PM

I think what he said still leaves it open for a SC version. If the "base" V8 and "HO" V8 is the same engine itself with the addition of a blower I would refer to it as 2 V6's and a V8. But then agian maybe I am still holding on the the hope of a 500hp SS and 400hp Z28.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by 1badLS1M6
I'm pretty disturbed about the part where he said you won't be able to tell the difference between the concept interior and the production interior. The interior is what I haven't worried about up to this point because I mean, it it just so horrible....HORRIBLE....that I just assumed it would be completely redone.

That said, I already plan to buy this car, but I won't buy it with that interior.
I kind of like the interior...... Lot better than whats in my 1998 TA.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:34 PM

A few thousand would be a good deal considering what you would be getting.
It just seems quite a few are "glass half empty" people when it comes to the NA/FI debate. Yes, the potential is there to create a high hp barge like the GT500 but since GM is starting with a blank slate there is the opportinuty to create something great. A hell of a lot better all around performer than the bloated GT500. Even though it will probably be at least a year possibly two before we know anything concrete about the top Camaro, I'm staying optimistic.
So many "what ifs", so little time.

I said 400 lbs because I WAS talking about the Mustang. Even at an additional 100-150 lbs - you don't think having that over the nose is a big deal for a pony car? Cause I do. And what if GM realizes that people will be doing just what you're saying - pulley changes - and decide to go with an iron block instead of aluminum to protect against crazy boost? And what if GM adds another 100 lbs to the drivetrain as well, as insurance against pulley swappers? You see, unintended consequences. Next thing you know, we've got a Camaro GT500.

As far as your willingness to pay "alittle more"? Doubt it. You'd pay afew THOUSAND more.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:34 PM

I don't especially want the Z/28 to become the Camaro GT500. We shouldn't lose our focus on what the spiritual essence of the Z/28 is. GT500? It's cool alright.
Personally I would like to see a return to the 60's line up where there was an SS that was the super horsepower drag race car (Like the Shelby GT500), and a light high-rev racer with great handling (Z/28)..... but I know the market today doesn't work that way, since now when you buy the top of the line you want and expect both.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:59 PM

I am happy with the news. The concept looks awesome. The only thing that I hope changes is the main two gauges, which I'm sure have been fixed. I also hope against a sc V8. I do not want one, and won't pay for it. I guess I will just have to buy the NA version, but I wish that the NA version is the high end V8.

Quick Reply: Concept the same as production, 500HP an option.