2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5th Generation retread

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 12:24 PM

5th Generation retread

Owned a 68 SS, 70 SS, 94 and now 02 SS. The 5th gen is a ho hum, let's watch C-Span reruns, half baked attempt by GM to try and prop up the corps. flagging Pension program at the expense of wild eyed, Reality TV generation young pups.

For those of us that not only lived, but drove through the original muscle car period this 5 Generation has the follow:

Cadillac STS front end
Chevrolet Impala rear end
Roof line of a 2005 Mustang

Wake me up when GM shows some real ***** instead of the BB sized ones they are carefully carrying around in their hands.

Put the R&T version from 2004 on the show room floor, put minimum 425 hp, bring out an SS version that plants an old mans *** to the back of the seat and maybe, just maybe this old school, old timer will saunter to the dealer for a look see and rip *** test run.

Piece, out my 55 year old brothers of the tire shredding era.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:28 PM

Re: 5th Generation retread

I agree with you whole heartedly even though I'm 21 years behind you.

You do realize you may have stirred up a hornets' nest tho, aren't you?
Old 02-05-2006, 12:57 PM

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, might I recommend this for you....

http://www.aarp.org/

Sorry you don't like it. Perhaps seeing it in person will leave you with a different impression, as has happened w/ several folks here. Also, to put this as delicately as possible, it may be that the car isn't being styled to appeal to your age bracket, someone who was around when the originals were out, and can't forgive the heritage cues. I think you'll find it got a tremendous response from the age groups that generally constitute the majority of Camaro buyers.

Last edited by CLEAN; 02-05-2006 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by CLEAN
Everyone's entitled to an opinion, might I recommend this for you....

http://www.aarp.org/
thats funny.........

but...

Sorry old-timer....I couldent disagree with you more
Old 02-05-2006, 01:54 PM

Hey, I think the guy is entitled to his opinion.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:28 PM

Somebody said 5th Gen got a tremendous response from the age group of the majority of Camaro buyers. Hmmmmmm, seems like the majority of Camaro buyers let the damn thing die in 2002 so the majority may not be major enough. Besides, what age group? If it is the younger generation they are the ones that feel FRONT WHEEL drive is the way to go. Just slap a big ole baffler on the muffler, rap it to 5000 rpms and leave the '87 Buick in its dust.....

Just remember the younger generation is comprised mostly of
1) Kids out of college strapped with huge debt.
or
2) Still living with Mommy and I doubt the allowance will make a new car payment.
or
3) Out on their "own" at $14.00 an hour of which a piece of that goes to nightly bar crawls.

Us "Baby Boomers" have $3 trillion worth of spendable investments and pensions and have plenty of time to spend it. Somebody better start payin' attention to us. Cause Money, yes in deed, Money talks.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:32 PM

HEY!! Watch out I belong to the AARP!! And I like the New 5th Gen just the way they showed it!! I'm just waiting for Berger Chevrolet to post what options they plan to add.

Proud owner of a 2000 SS Twin Turbo and a just ordered Daytona Sunset Orange C6
Old 02-05-2006, 02:34 PM

Sure he does, he stated it quite eloquently....

Flagging Pension program at the expense of wild eyed, reality TV generation young pups.

Wake me up when GM shows some real ***** instead of the BB sized ones they are carefully carrying around in their hands.

Has he even seen the concept in person?
Old 02-05-2006, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by rgenzmer
Somebody said 5th Gen got a tremendous response from the age group of the majority of Camaro buyers. Hmmmmmm, seems like the majority of Camaro buyers let the damn thing die in 2002 so the majority may not be major enough. Besides, what age group? If it is the younger generation they are the ones that feel FRONT WHEEL drive is the way to go. Just slap a big ole baffler on the muffler, rap it to 5000 rpms and leave the '87 Buick in its dust.....
Kids to you are late 30's/early 40's? You ARE old!
Old 02-05-2006, 02:57 PM

I have not seen the Concept in person. Just like I haven't seen Elvis in person or a Superbowl in person or the President in person. But I have an opinion on all of those regardless.

Being there in person allows you to say you were there in person, allows you to buy a bad fitting hat from GM and say you saw the car presented by a show girl with a $7000 chest......
Old 02-05-2006, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by fredl11
HEY!! Watch out I belong to the AARP!! And I like the New 5th Gen just the way they showed it!! I'm just waiting for Berger Chevrolet to post what options they plan to add.

Proud owner of a 2000 SS Twin Turbo and a just ordered Daytona Sunset Orange C6
Hey, never said I didn't like them, for all you know, I might be a member myself! He just ran on about being old, so I thought I would help .
Old 02-05-2006, 03:00 PM

Relax, I'm just yanking your "young kids" chain. I like the younger generation. Who else am I going to get to wipe the drivel from my chin as I gaze out the Old Peoples Home at my rusting, unused 5th generation Camaro 25 years from now.....
Old 02-05-2006, 03:01 PM

I have not seen the Concept in person. Just like I haven't seen Elvis in person or a Superbowl in person or the President in person. But I have an opinion on all of those regardless.

Being there in person allows you to say you were there in person, allows you to buy a bad fitting hat from GM and say you saw the car presented by a show girl with a $7000 chest......
How can you have an opinion of how something looks if you haven't SEEN it? Ask ANYONE here who HAS, and they will tell you it is vastly better in person. I freely say that from certain angles, it's not very photogenic, but it is stunning in person.

I'm done, you stubborn old coot .
Old 02-05-2006, 03:07 PM
Admin Emeritus

Your opinion is 100% as good as anyone else's opinion, and that needs to be respected. Not everyone is going to lile one particualr thing, and someone shouldn't be ripped on because their opinion differs.

However, one thing that I have said from the very start is that you simply have to see the car in person. There are lines and dynamics to the car that cannot be captured on the web, on a TV screen or in print.

But if I may put it into perspecitve...

Seeing Elvis, a Superbowl or the President on TV is nothing compared to seeing something like that in person. You just cannot compare it.

Even better example...watching fireworks on TV is pretty bland, I think everyone can agree. Seeing fireworks in person adds a whole new dimension to the experience. Again, they just cannot be compared.

That's fine if the new design is not your cup of tea, it doesn't have to be. However, many have confirmed that they didn't think much of the car until they got to see it in person, and in many cases, their opinion changed drastically. Yours might too.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:09 PM

It's Mr. Coot to you, whipper snapper. Hey, I'd be a happy guy if they just got rid of:

1) Front Wheel drive
2) Automatic Trans
3) Anything less than a V8
4) Everyone in politics under the age of 40
5) Reality TV
6) UnReality TV
7) TV (except for Speed Channel and the show "Pinks")

Quick Reply: 5th Generation retread