V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

Some insight into the 3.4L OHV RWD motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 08:26 AM

Re: Some insight into the 3.4L OHV RWD motor

Hey 94Camaro,
I've had my 3.4L for 2 years now and I feel as though it's around time to get a little more out of her. I was just wondering if you'd be able to help me out with the best way to go about doing it, and i'd be really interested in hearing about anything new that you've done to your car, I watched that video and your car sounds sick! I'd love for my v6 to sound that good :P. I'm no expert when it comes to engines or anything but I know my way around mine pretty good since i've had the whole thing out and apart haha. But if you wouldn't mind Pm me with a list of everything I'd need or even just posting it here and maybe the best way to go about doing a project like this I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Johnny.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:39 PM

I found a GA GT to get all the parts from do I need to change any part of the harness or do all the existing electrical plugs connect into the new GA GT sensors? I am rebuilding mine now. Also do you know if the super charger off the Grand prix will fit? I have a wrecked Grand prix that is supercharged and wanted to know if any of that stuff will work because it had awesome power. I thank you for all the info it helps alot. Been looking to pull out as much power as possible wanna spank those mustang boys. Real men drive chevy.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:24 PM

Just so we are clear on this:

To everyone - doing anything suggested in this thread is "at your own risk". I take no responsibility for anything you do with your vehicle and I am not liable for any actions or consequences arising from the actions you take with your personal property or injuries you may sustain while performing said modifications (my car bit me a few times).

DOING ANY OF THE MODS MENTIONED IN ANY THREAD MADE BY ME WILL ENDANGER YOUR ABILITY TO DRIVE YOUR VEHICLE ON PUBLIC STREETS OR REGISTER IN ANY STATE WITH AN ACTIVE EMISSIONS QUALITY TESTING PROGRAM.

Check with your local Air Quality Board / local Highway Patrol or State Patrol Office to determine legality of said modifications for on-highway use.

I don't know everyone's level of mechanical skill and I am a bit hesitant to tell you to customize anything considering the litigious nature of our society here in America. I myself am not an expert and everything I did took hours of trying and testing and just figuring things out.

This is not a simple bolt-n-go project.
After getting the motor back from the engine rebuild shop it still took me the better part of a month to get everything working properly and I currently (as of Nov 8, 2012) don't have Cruise Control available in my car due to the modification of the throttle body.

the 3x00 motor != 3800 series engines.

The 2.8/3.1/3.4/3100/3400/3500 series of engines are a 60* design and therefore things fit and line up, but there are differences in bore and displacement and obvious other parts.

the 3800 series of motors (3.8/3800/3800II/etc etc) are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from the aforementioned engines, being a 90* design similar to most V8 engines and I don't recommend trying to modify anything to fit from these engines as nothing will line up and the parts will probably be too big.

I unfortunately don't remember all of the parts and stuff required, but there are a couple of gentlemen that specialize in putting 3400 parts on top of the 3.4 OHV in the 1993-1995 Camaro, you can contact them @ wot-tech (Google it, if I provide a link they'll blank it)

Talk to John. He can help you get on the right path. Also look up full throttle v6 and it will give you a lot of info on many people that have gone down the path I did.

Good luck!
Old 11-12-2012, 11:53 PM

Thanks for the info. I didnt think the 3.8L would work but had to ask. I have the motor built and ready to go in just had a few last min questions before i dig in waist deep.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:25 PM

i am happy i joined here i always find my self redirected here on Camaro related questions i have a 78 RS type LT & 94 3.4, 5spd and enjoy the 32-33 mpg on the highway i have been getting after a tune up on 94 i would love to hear the mpg you got after all the work to improve performance? I have 226k miles and i am thinking at 400-500k rebuilding motor with improvements for power also and think finding factory parts from junkyard is the most economical way to do it my self and not spend too much.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:25 PM

Ha ha. MPG. Funny you should ask that.

I never tuned the car. It ran with a stock tune, and the paramters of the cam and heads were so extreme, I probably got around 15mph on the highway if i was lucky. I think I cleared around 250 miles a tank on the highway if that's all I drove (When the car was new I would get 300 miles per tank).

If the engine was put together and the tune was adjusted to work properly with the engine, probably closer to the 1999 Grand Am GT :
20 city / 28 highway According to Edmunds.com

the 1994 3.4L Camaro got:
17 city / 26 Highway According to Edmunds.com

So basically if you tuned it to work properly with the parts, you would see a bit of a gain in MPG -- but it's all subjective. You might not, it all depends on how well you can tune the ECM to work with the parts bolted on.

The car is awesome to drive with the mods, but fuel econ isn't spectacular. That being said, the car would still drive with mid-level or even premium (91 for California) fuel in it. 87 was a bit rough but that was because of the stock tune.

If you can tune it - it would be good fuel savings. There was a guy back in the day, he had a bunch of work done, the car tuned, cam put in, valves opened up, LT1 throttle body put on the 3.4 Y shaped intake, running MSD DIS-4 for better spark delivery (name was James Montigny) - he was getting 32mpg highway, and like 24mpg city or something to that effect.

This was back in the beginning before any of these kinds of mods had a thought in anyone's brain.

The 60* motor has a lot of potential. It's why GM switched back from the 90* 3800 to the 60* 3.6L DOHC 60* engine (The current Camaro motor). It's getting 305+ hp from DOHC and DFI.

The 3.4 was a fun motor, but GM has left it in the dust with the current offering and perhaps instead of trying to mod the motor, moving up to the newer technology would be best - of course either path is academic due to the fact that more and more states are adopting a emissions checking program and those same states forbid modifying internal engine components.

If you are as unlucky as I am to live in California, the state that hates cars, you can't even change the air intake (illegal in CA) path due to emissions requirements. Seriously. New laws this year - look it up.

So, just have to live with what we have here, I guess.