Suspension, Chassis, and Brakes Shocks, springs, cages, brakes, sub-frame connectors, etc.

Brembo Brakes on a 4th gen

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 04:50 PM

Brembo Brakes on a 4th gen

I was looking at switching to brembo brakes for my 95 z28, i was told drilled and slotted calipers were a good idea. Is this possible? Has anyone done this? What would be the steps in doing so?

Im not familiar with brakes at all, so any help is awesome. Thanks

Last edited by IDriveA95Z28; 01-31-2016 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Brembo Brakes on a 4th gen

Looking at brembo.com, they do not offer an upgrade kit for 4th gens.

I am planning on installing Baer's Track4 kit this spring.
https://baer.com/13-Front-Track4-Bra...m-4301396.html

To put this on your LT1 car, you'll first need to upgrade to a set of 98+ spindles.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
Looking at brembo.com, they do not offer an upgrade kit for 4th gens.

I am planning on installing Baer's Track4 kit this spring.
https://baer.com/13-Front-Track4-Bra...m-4301396.html

To put this on your LT1 car, you'll first need to upgrade to a set of 98+ spindles.

BREMBO Silver Plating Cross Drilled & Slotted Rotors at Brakeworld

i did find these....i donno if im looking for the right thing but, it looks like these are drilled and slotted....
Old 02-01-2016, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Your original request was unclear. You asked about "drilled and slotted calipers". No such thing, so the logical interpretation was that you were looking for drilled and slotted ROTORS and replacement calipers (the thing that squeezes the rotor to stop the car).

Typically, when people ask about Brembo brakes, they are looking for a significant upgrade in performance, which involves not only "drilled and slotted" rotors, but a much larger diameter rotor, and an upgraded caliper with more hydraulic pistons - 2, 4 or 6.

If you want upgraded braking, drilled and slotted isn't going to do much for you, all by itself. Note also that we are only talking front brakes here. The front brakes do maybe 65-75% of the stopping. Not as much for the rears.

Your best and most economical approach would be to upgrade your 95 brakes to the larger, more powerful brakes used in the 98-02 LS1 F-Body cars. This requires going to a junk yard and buying the complete LS1 front steering knuckles, with calipers, mounting hardware, and rotors. Then replace the stock rotors with the correct diameter Brembo rotors and you would see improved braking. And the Brembo rotors are not mandatory. There are other upgrades out there for less $$$.

Would probably cost you less that 1/2 of the Baer kit described above. And as I recall, the Baer brake kit that I was going to install (but never did because of wanting to run 15" "skinnies" up front) required that you cut the stock brake support arm off the LT1 front steering knuckles, in order to install the Baer calipers.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:31 PM

Alright thanks fred
Old 02-04-2016, 05:21 AM
Former Vendor

Totally agree about the brakes from 98-02 LS1 models.
But it's right it depends on what kind of braking performance do you expect from new brakes.

There are really affordable drilled and slotted sport brake kits for 95 models by EBC and powerstop. They are many times cheaper than a complete kit from Baer, but they do perform much better than your stock brakes.

Another option is a performance brake kit by Wilwood, which is also few times cheaper than high end BAER.

Take a look at the list of performance brake options for 94 Camaro on our site to see the drilled and slotted options by EBC, powerstop, Wilwood and Baer:
1995 Chevy Camaro Performance Brake Kits at CARiD
Let me know if you have any questions, I'll be glad to help!

There is another useful tech write up about EBC brake kits that should answer many of your questions on which kit to choose: EBC Brakes - Product Line
(hit the tab Brake kits and scroll for performance options)
Old 02-09-2016, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Your best and most economical approach would be to upgrade your 95 brakes to the larger, more powerful brakes used in the 98-02 LS1 F-Body cars. This requires going to a junk yard and buying the complete LS1 front steering knuckles, with calipers, mounting hardware, and rotors. Then replace the stock rotors with the correct diameter Brembo rotors and you would see improved braking. And the Brembo rotors are not mandatory. There are other upgrades out there for less the Baer calipers.
Got my eye on the left and right side of a 2002 camaro ss spindles ,hubs ,rotors,calipers,upper A-arms and lower ,the whole setup from craigs list for $200.They look pretty rusty,but my question is that if I drag all this stuff down to my mechanic,will these be a direct installation or will he have to do some modifying?Also would stock rotors (2002) be ok or should I just get better brake pads for my existing stock brakes and call it a day.I had a slight problem stopping the other day from a short run on a almost deserted road.Many thanks.

Last edited by JakeRobb; 02-10-2016 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:19 AM

Sorry Injuneer .I messed up your quote location paragraph.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:18 AM

The LS1 brakes are a direct bolt on. Get the steering knuckle and every thing that bolts to it. You will need new brake hoses. You can use C5 Corvette hoses or some people bend the body bracket and reuse the LT1 hoses. You will probably need to have the front end aligned.

The LS1 brakes are an improvement but if I had it to do again I would just get something like the Powerstop rotors and pads. You would have new rotors and pads for less than an LS1 swap.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:26 AM

Great information.Thanks.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Fatdog2
Sorry Injuneer .I messed up your quote location paragraph.
No worries -- I fixed it.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:23 PM

Brembo Brakes on a 4th gen-nowheel.jpg

Brembo Brakes on a 4th gen-driveway.jpg