N2O Tech Discussion for the use of Nitrous Oxide

Fastest "bolt-on only" LT1 hitting the sauce!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 12:02 PM

Fastest "bolt-on only" LT1 hitting the sauce!

Since the good air is all but gone until the fall I'm going to re-new my nitrous tuning skills by placing a small 175hp kit (NOS super powershot for 4150 carb)on my car to play with until the fall weather returns.

I have my Mallory 618-1 retard on the way and the kit is already bolted up all I'm left with doing is plumbing the system and flowing the fuel pressure for the jet I'm starting at.

I'm starting at 100hp and going no further than 150hp.

Does anybody here run a return style regulator for the nitrous or are you deadheading it? I'm running a dedicated cell, pump, regulator for the set-up running VP nos fuel in the small tank and Amoco 93 ultra in the big tank.

What plugs would anyone recommend? looking for heat range not brand.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:00 PM
West South Central Moderator

NGK TR6 plugs will work
Old 07-07-2008, 02:07 PM

Tom,
When I was reading up and asking questions about the fuel return on a setup like yours alot of guys ran a tee before the fuel noid. They put a small nitrous jet in the line coming from the tee so it would act as a restriction/bleeder so there would not be any air bubble's before the fuel noid. This was mostly coming from guys that ran directport kits and standalones fuel cells where running lean on a big shot = but should work on the low pressure fuel system like you have. On the fuel setups that were deadheading the noid they pretty much said to have the bottle off and purge/bleed your fuel side by hitting your arming switch while in the middle of a burnout or whatnot. I have a buddy running a plate kit on a big cube windsor fox bod 6.10's@110mph on a 225shot that I could hook you up with to pick his brain. His other buddy runs 5.9's, I have been watching them since I was knee high so they have both been around the bottle before I was born. PM me if you want his number and I will dig it up for you as he is very open book as your self.

Josh
Old 07-07-2008, 04:13 PM

Josh, I've ran them both ways in the past and I will most likely run this set-up dead headed since my car still launches off the pump shot still. The AFR gets a little rich at launch so I should be Okay. However if somebody gives me a reason to return the fuel on this small system (remember we are talking a small hit).
Old 07-07-2008, 04:38 PM

For a dead head style fuel system I suggest purgeing the air from the feed line before using the kit for the first time of the day....I am running a dedicated on my 94...it uses a return regulator but dead heads to the solenoid. all I do is turn the pump on and crack the feed line. Takes less than 30 seconds and removes the chance of any lean spike that might occur.

For the plug heat rang I would start with a 6, but reading the plugs will tell you if you need to change. This is unlikely up to a 150 shot.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:44 PM

Right on Ray, I check my flowing fuel pressure before the first pass and after any changes I make.

Ray, do you make your own lines? I'm looking at replacing the hard lines on this set-up with some braided dillys.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:53 AM

yes we can make just about any line you would need
Old 07-23-2008, 10:15 PM

what's the 411 on the sauce Cowle? I'm anxious to see how it performs.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:52 PM

Andy, its pretty much ready to go except I'm re-routing where I thought the pump should be and now that I've seen a few of the ramair set-ups I'm going to make one up. Hopefully I get to try it all out Aug 2/3rd.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:29 PM

I'm going to the track right now to spray a 150 shot. I'll let you know how it goes. I just verified my spark plug heat range.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:10 AM

Well, the best laid plans often don't come to pass and this is one of them...

I finished up my nitrous plumbing late saturday night but I didn't have any good fuel for it so I could flow it so I figured I do that at the track the next morning. Got to the track, ran one pass on motor then filled the 1 gal cell with 114, turned the pump on and it greeted me with 3 psi. These are all new parts so I figured the factory had them set low, so I twisted the regulator set point and NOTHING...the regulator was defective out of the box. No fuel pressure, means no nitrous!!

It was the local ford versus chevy charity race and there has been alot of local smack talk between me and a local mustang owner for a heads up race. The race happened but not in my favor, his 11.84 to my terrible 12.00 slipping and sliding. My earlier passes were 11.91 and 11.81, however the track was decent for those passes. I don't feel to bad about losing to him because my car is essentially stock where as his sports 393" dart block, ported high port heads and his car is lighter than mine.

Oh well next time the nitrous will work.