LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Knocking noise when gears change

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 11:19 PM

Question Knocking noise when gears change

Hey everyone ! back on here. So my camaro is a Automatic, and i have this tendency of playing with the Shifting, i shift back to 1 , step on it , and move the shifter to 2 and so forth. Which i already is a bad idea for the transmission. My question is this, today i was doing that and all of a sudden i heard a really loud knocking noise, sounded like someone hitting the car from underneath with a hammer (under the middle compartment below the shifter). and i search on google, and found a thread where someone said it might be the "transmisiion mount". My boy who was riding with me, said something about the transmission trying to grab on or make the gears switch or something like that. It an easy fix apparently. But the other thing is that i should probably add oil to the differential, and get a alignment. Would probably help right? Thanks for your input, and yes, im an immature wannabee stick shift driver I wont do it again, lol.promise
Old 09-13-2011, 05:18 AM
Administrator

Re: Knocking noise when gears change

Check the transmission mount first.

Very difficult to understand what would lead someone to suggest that a hammering noise under the shifter might be due to a wheel alignment problem or low fluid level in the rear axle assembly.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:15 PM

lol........You broke the trans mount. Not sure I would take any advice from your boy and whoever told you to get an alignment ect.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:48 PM

Hey guys!! i ordered the part and got it around mid day.. sure enough i got under and lifted the transmission with the jack and the Transmission mount was parted in half. I was like woow. only took me half hour becayse i couldnt get the right tools. But yes , no its alignment time and differential fluid, Thank you guys! super easy fix .Thankss for the support!
Old 09-14-2011, 05:23 AM
Administrator

Just curious.... why did you order a new part BEFORE inspecting the old one for damage?
Old 09-16-2011, 08:21 PM

hmm.. good question. I went with my Gut feeling.? Somebody asked that question when i did a google search and someone replied to it saying it was the transmission mount. This is when i posted the question on here to get a little more Of a push to get the part. Ive been lucky so far.? Buying a part, replacing it and actually fixed it. . it does have 150k , its that time to start replacing little things so it wouldnt be money wasted. Thats how i look at it