General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Touchy About Access Hole for Fuel Pump Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 06:22 PM

Wink Touchy About Access Hole for Fuel Pump Replacement

OK, I have to replace my fuel pump. Have a few issues.

Is there a good aftermarket unit, and does it do anything for performance? Or just for life of the unit?

I know the GM Service Manual says to remove the rear end, exhaust, and gas tank. If I go this route, I would go ahead and do an SLP cat-back and probably gut my CAT while I'm messing with it. Rear brakes need done too so may as well do that while I have the brake line disconnected.

However, I know a lot of guys are cutting an access hole in the floor above the pump. I like the simplicity of this, and normally and/or on any of my other vehicles I'd be all over this shortcut. However, I worked my **** off to buy exactly what I wanted and in nearly Mint Condition. I'd like to keep it that way.

Don't get me wrong, I drive it like I stole it. But I keep the body and interior in excellent condition, and I maintain the mechanics of it religiously. So I'm a bit apprehensive about cutting a big hole in my floor...

How big is the hole required to get the pump out?

Anybody got pictures of an access hole and the cover you put over it? Is it noticeable under the carpet?

And yes, I'll take harrassment gracefully for being a wuss and not wanting to cut a hole in the floor of my car!

Paul 'X'
Old 05-12-2004, 07:22 PM

Re: Touchy About Access Hole for Fuel Pump Replacement

Originally posted by 350350
OK, I have to replace my fuel pump. Have a few issues.

Is there a good aftermarket unit, and does it do anything for performance? Or just for life of the unit?

I know the GM Service Manual says to remove the rear end, exhaust, and gas tank. If I go this route, I would go ahead and do an SLP cat-back and probably gut my CAT while I'm messing with it. Rear brakes need done too so may as well do that while I have the brake line disconnected.

However, I know a lot of guys are cutting an access hole in the floor above the pump. I like the simplicity of this, and normally and/or on any of my other vehicles I'd be all over this shortcut. However, I worked my **** off to buy exactly what I wanted and in nearly Mint Condition. I'd like to keep it that way.

Don't get me wrong, I drive it like I stole it. But I keep the body and interior in excellent condition, and I maintain the mechanics of it religiously. So I'm a bit apprehensive about cutting a big hole in my floor...

How big is the hole required to get the pump out?

Anybody got pictures of an access hole and the cover you put over it? Is it noticeable under the carpet?

And yes, I'll take harrassment gracefully for being a wuss and not wanting to cut a hole in the floor of my car!

Paul 'X'
Here's a concept. Cut the hole, but cut it clean, and weld a hinge/latch on the piece you cut out. Just an idea.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:44 PM

I was thinking along those lines. I did some searching and found a couple pictures of the holes other people have cut, and I think I could make a nice enough hatch with hinges or even just with nice perimeter bolts to keep the **** part of me happy.

Still a little squeemish about the size of the freakin' hole! It's nearly a structural issue!

Of course, then I wouldn't have an excuse to do the cat-back exhaust...

Paul 'X'
Old 05-12-2004, 10:17 PM

It's not like you're going to see it after you put the carpet back down.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:32 PM

I've seen a couple of sets of photos of that procedure. Hopefully someone can direct you to them. Maybe a search would locate them.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:47 PM

A guy on Fbody.com did that method of installing a RaceTronix fuel pump, Joe Spena is his name. I don't know where pictures would be though.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:51 PM

I know what you mean about not wanting to mess with the structural integrity of the car but I don't think it affects it really.

I just did mine last week and here are some pics of the hole and the plate I put on.

I decided against using a dremel just in case and used some good aviation snips after I drilled some holes to get started. It's a lot faster and you don't waste all these cutting wheels and of course......no sparks and metal dust all over.

My sending unit was rusting a bit (Canada) and I sprayed some anti rust stuff on it. I applied some primer around where I made the cut.

I used weldable sheet metal which I primed and painted silver and put some silicon caulk before screwing everything back together. Half inch screws will be best.

Here are some pics. Lemme know what you think.

http://members.rogers.com/lt1pwrd/hole.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/lt1pwrd/plate.jpg

Last edited by LT1 PWRD; 05-12-2004 at 11:53 PM.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:11 AM

Couldnt you weld it back in?
Old 05-13-2004, 08:02 AM

Originally posted by LT1 PWRD
I know what you mean about not wanting to mess with the structural integrity of the car but I don't think it affects it really.

I just did mine last week and here are some pics of the hole and the plate I put on.

I decided against using a dremel just in case and used some good aviation snips after I drilled some holes to get started. It's a lot faster and you don't waste all these cutting wheels and of course......no sparks and metal dust all over.

My sending unit was rusting a bit (Canada) and I sprayed some anti rust stuff on it. I applied some primer around where I made the cut.

I used weldable sheet metal which I primed and painted silver and put some silicon caulk before screwing everything back together. Half inch screws will be best.

Here are some pics. Lemme know what you think.

http://members.rogers.com/lt1pwrd/hole.jpg
http://members.rogers.com/lt1pwrd/plate.jpg
That looks really good, dude! I could probably live with something like that.

I was mostly joking about the structural integrity thing. By the time that part of the floor becomes a structural issue, you're probably making some serious power!

Thanks for the pics. Now I have to check into the RaceTronix fuel pump...

As for welding, I'd actually like that better... However, I'd be a little worried about welding that close to the tank. Not that I've never done it before.

I don't have a good enough welder to use inside a car interior though. I have a 100volt wire feed weld that uses flux core wire. It's great for making brackets and exhaust and stuff, but it makes really crappy looking welds and splatters like hell. If I had a nice MIG I'd probably try it.

Paul 'X'
Old 05-13-2004, 08:49 AM
Administrator

Here's some pic's of cutting the opening, on a site belonging to a friend of mine:

http://camaroz28.cardomain.com/memberpage/348183/9

I thought he used to have pics of the cover too, but I don't see them.

You can get "prefabricated" access doors from Moroso, Alston Chassisworks, etc. They have a flange that rivets to the car sheetmetal, a hinged access door, a Dzus fastener for a latch and a "seal" around the door so it won't leak fuel in the event of a rollover. I would also be very careful to apply some body seam sealer between the access door (or your own screw-in panel) to prevent fuel entry in a roll over. And, to prevent stress risers, avoid "square" corners in the cutout.... use a radiused corner to eliminate the riser.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by Injuneer
Here's some pic's of cutting the opening, on a site belonging to a friend of mine:

http://camaroz28.cardomain.com/memberpage/348183/9

I thought he used to have pics of the cover too, but I don't see them.

You can get "prefabricated" access doors from Moroso, Alston Chassisworks, etc. They have a flange that rivets to the car sheetmetal, a hinged access door, a Dzus fastener for a latch and a "seal" around the door so it won't leak fuel in the event of a rollover. I would also be very careful to apply some body seam sealer between the access door (or your own screw-in panel) to prevent fuel entry in a roll over. And, to prevent stress risers, avoid "square" corners in the cutout.... use a radiused corner to eliminate the riser.
Sweeet! I couldn't get to the link from here at work, some sites are blocked seemingly at random, but I'll check it out at home.

I will look into the pre-fab access doors. I like the sound of that.

On a side note, I've rolled a lot of vehicles. Rolling the Camaro makes me sick on two levels: 1) I Love it and it's too Nice to Roll, and 2) It's way too Low and Wide to Roll Peacefully.

The best types of vehicles to roll are those which are about the same height as width, like a van. Much easier on the occupants of the vehicle. When you get something like a G-Body barrel-rolling, it's gonna leave a mark. I've heard that the F-Bodies more "Skip like a Rock on a Lake" than roll. Although it would be the first car I'd ever wrecked that had 3 feet of plastic and foam in the nose and airbags. Airbags aren't much good in a rollover though. And Ttops aren't your friend either. I still have glass in my skull from the last Ttop car I rolled...

But anyway, I'll check out the pre-fab stuff and see what it looks like...

Thanks!
Paul 'X'
Old 05-13-2004, 12:14 PM

I believe the access hole is the best way to do this. The hole is not obvious at all when covered by all the matting and carpet, and I like the idea of knowing if I ever need to get to my fuel pump for whatever reason, its right there. Also, be sure to cut the hold as it was in the cardomain page above - mine is smaller, rectangular shaped.....but cutting towards the front of the car more, and towards the drivers side will prevent cuts from messing w/ fuel line connections.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Moroso access panel:

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...52&prmenbr=361

Alston - see lower right:

http://www.cachassisworks.com/accessories.htm