General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Power steering pump leaking from reservoir help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 07:23 AM

Power steering pump leaking from reservoir help!!!!

Hey guys i been struggling lately in fixing my power steering pump reservoir because its been leaking and messes up my alternator. I have a 2002 z28 camaro so the alternator is right under the pump. I've put in a new pump but it still leaks from the cap. I had added power steering fluid but it fills up with water instead?. How does that happen!?. Please if somebody can help me out on this, i would appreciate it.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Re: Power steering pump leaking from reservoir help!!!!

Is your car equipped with the power steering cooler - RPO code "V12"? Is it actually "water" in the reservoir, or could it possibly be coolant?
Old 10-24-2015, 12:02 AM

Im not sure what that is??. But it must be coolant. And when i drive, the steering wheel gets hard and my voltage meter goes nuts since the fluid starts leaking out messing up my alternator :/.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:06 AM
Administrator

Sounds like the coolant/PS fluid dripping on the serpentine belt is causing it to slip.

The LS1 cars had an optional power steering fluid cooler. Look at the service parts tag in your glove box for the RPO code "V12". That would confirm the car is equipped with the PS cooler. That is the only way I can think of that coolant could get into the power steering system.

If coolant is getting into the PS system, it's likely that PS fluid is getting into the cooling system as well. Check the radiator and the coolant reservoir for signs of power steering fluid. Is the cooling system running low on coolant?

First time I've ever heard of this. Are you sure their isn't just a radiator or heater hose leaking from a pinhole and spraying coolant onto the PS reservoir/front of engine?
Old 10-24-2015, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Cooler is right behind the radiator. Looks like this:

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0ce912d5.jpg

Apparently this is not an unusual problem with these units.
Old 10-24-2015, 12:08 PM

Oh yes my camaro is equipped with the cooler. It is weird cuz i had changed the power steering pump and reservoir and changed the return hose too and checked for leaks on the hoses but nothing. The reservoir fills up with coolant and no my temperature gauge stays good it doesnt heat up or nothing. Or could it be one of the pressure hoses that isnt working properly?
Old 10-24-2015, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by chevyalltheway
Oh yes my camaro is equipped with the cooler. It is weird cuz i had changed the power steering pump and reservoir and changed the return hose too and checked for leaks on the hoses but nothing. The reservoir fills up with coolant and no my temperature gauge stays good it doesnt heat up or nothing. Or could it be one of the pressure hoses that isnt working properly?
You can't tell if the cooling system is losing coolant by looking at the temperature gauge. You have to check the level dipstick in the reservoir, and you have to open the radiator cap (when system is cool) to see if the radiator is full.

Not sure what you mean by "Or could it be one of the pressure hoses that isnt working properly?" A power steering system pressure hose..... a coolant pressure hose?

There is only one way that coolant can mix with the PS fluid - this is in the cooler.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:29 PM

Okay so this morning i checked the radiator and the coolant was full. Then i checked the power stwering reservoir and it was really low?. I went to autozone to see if they had the cooler but they didnt and told me that it could be my radiator that is messed up?. WOuld i have to drain both radiator and power steering pump and hoses?. Then add coolant an fluid again to see if it helps by any chance?
Old 10-26-2015, 09:03 PM
Administrator

There is no part of the power steering cooler that is part of the radiator. They simply took one of the large, existing coolant hoses, and wrapped a metal cylinder around it. It is a conventional liquid-liquid heat exchanger.

If you feel AutoZone has given you the best advice, follow it, and ignore what I have told you.

Good luck!
Old 10-26-2015, 09:24 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

Dude, Fred here knows about 1000 times more information about these cars than any AZone clerk. Listen to him.

If you can't find a replacement cooler, you can remove it and replace it with a standard radiator hose. You would then have to remove the hose from the cooler to the pump, and move the other hose to the reservoir inlet. That might require a new standard length hose. My 98 TA doesn't even have that cooler option installed.