General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 09:32 AM

Good morning all! I've been searching for a Camaro (either a z28 or SS f body) and am now a new owner to a 94 Camaro Z28! I'm new to the f body scene as my daily driver is a Charger R/T. I wanted to know what kind of mods can I look into as far as performance to make this thing a bit faster. Also when I got the car it said that the service engine soon light was on and also the brake light on. It also makes a squealing noise when I turn the car on. Overall it is drive ready and I am loving it so far.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:46 PM

Re: New member

Originally Posted by Z28Coop
Good morning all! I've been searching for a Camaro (either a z28 or SS f body) and am now a new owner to a 94 Camaro Z28! I'm new to the f body scene as my daily driver is a Charger R/T. I wanted to know what kind of mods can I look into as far as performance to make this thing a bit faster. Also when I got the car it said that the service engine soon light was on and also the brake light on. It also makes a squealing noise when I turn the car on. Overall it is drive ready and I am loving it so far.
Ok so is the engine light on as of now.....If so u can get an obd1 scanner not sure which one,I prefer to get the codes from my laptop I downloaded the software for it from this site.

As for the brake light which light is it? Bcuz there are two lights the abs which comes on the dash yellow color,the other one is the emergency brake light which is red?

The squelling noise when turning where are you hearing it from? Could be a number of things. Yea these cars are fun but frustrating too 😃
Old 02-16-2016, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Z28Coop
....... I wanted to know what kind of mods can I look into as far as performance to make this thing a bit faster.
A good question to post on LT1 Based Engine Tech. When you post there:

-Include a "Signature":

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1...nature-879835/

-Give us some idea of your goals, and your budget. The LT1 can gain decent HP through moderate cost bolt-ons, or they can produce in excess of 1,000 HP at the flywheel with a big investment. And of course, the larger the HP, the larger the need for an improved drivetrain and suspension.

-Tell us the intended use of the car - street racer, 1/4-mile racer, auto-x or road racing.

Also when I got the car it said that the service engine soon light was on
As noted in the first response, you need to scan it. You can't flash the codes on the SES light in 94. 93 was the last year for that. The older Auto-Xray OBD-1 scanners can pull codes, a newer model like the Actron 9185 can pull them. Avoid Innova scanners, some have a corrupt database for LT1 codes. Or use software - free download, you supply the cable - specifically for your 94:

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/com...95-lt1-874306/

After you get the codes, go here:

http://shbox.com/1/Dtcs.htm

and also the brake light on.
The "BRAKE" light serves two purposes. One is to indicate the e-brake is on, the other is to indicate that the pressure switch on the side of the ABS motor pack has detected an unequal pressure distribution between the front and rear braking system hydraulic circuits.

It also makes a squealing noise when I turn the car on. Overall it is drive ready and I am loving it so far.
Is your car an auto trans? Is the serpentine belt slipping? Or, there is an electric driven AIR pump that supplies air to the exhaust manifolds on cold start, to help the cats heat up faster. The pumps are notorious for rust, causing bad bearings and blown fuses. How long does the noise last? The AIR pump only runs for about 3 minutes at startup. And very cold weather can cause problems with the fluid in the power steering pump.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
A good question to post on LT1 Based Engine Tech. When you post there:

-Include a "Signature":

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1...nature-879835/

-Give us some idea of your goals, and your budget. The LT1 can gain decent HP through moderate cost bolt-ons, or they can produce in excess of 1,000 HP at the flywheel with a big investment. And of course, the larger the HP, the larger the need for an improved drivetrain and suspension.

-Tell us the intended use of the car - street racer, 1/4-mile racer, auto-x or road racing.

As noted in the first response, you need to scan it. You can't flash the codes on the SES light in 94. 93 was the last year for that. The older Auto-Xray OBD-1 scanners can pull codes, a newer model like the Actron 9185 can pull them. Avoid Innova scanners, some have a corrupt database for LT1 codes. Or use software - free download, you supply the cable - specifically for your 94:

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/com...95-lt1-874306/

After you get the codes, go here:

http://shbox.com/1/Dtcs.htm

The "BRAKE" light serves two purposes. One is to indicate the e-brake is on, the other is to indicate that the pressure switch on the side of the ABS motor pack has detected an unequal pressure distribution between the front and rear braking system hydraulic circuits.

Is your car an auto trans? Is the serpentine belt slipping? Or, there is an electric driven AIR pump that supplies air to the exhaust manifolds on cold start, to help the cats heat up faster. The pumps are notorious for rust, causing bad bearings and blown fuses. How long does the noise last? The AIR pump only runs for about 3 minutes at startup. And very cold weather can cause problems with the fluid in the power steering pump.

Sorry about that. I'm at work so I had to rush my post but it is an automatic. The brake light is red it says "brake" but the e brake isn't engaged at all so idk what that problem is. I'm going to work on my signature. It's been a long time since I posted in a forum (member of the charger forum and the ls1 tech forum. I had a 2006 Impala SS with the LS4). I intend it to be a nice weekend car but would also like to drag race it at the track and beat up on some imports from time to time on the highway.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by 94Z28LS1toLT1
Ok so is the engine light on as of now.....If so u can get an obd1 scanner not sure which one,I prefer to get the codes from my laptop I downloaded the software for it from this site.

As for the brake light which light is it? Bcuz there are two lights the abs which comes on the dash yellow color,the other one is the emergency brake light which is red?

The squelling noise when turning where are you hearing it from? Could be a number of things. Yea these cars are fun but frustrating too 😃
Yeah this car is very frustrating but I'm going to have my mechanic look at it soon. As of right now it's sitting in my garage until it gets a little warmer out. These things suck in the snow. It makes my charger look like a 4x4 in the snow lol oh yeah the brake light is red on the dash.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:49 PM
Administrator

As I indicated, the red "BRAKE" light serves two purposes.

First is to indicate the E-Brake is on. It could be a problem with a stuck switch on the E-Brake handle assembly, keeping the light on even though the handle is in the down position.

Second, it indicates unequal pressure distribution between the front and rear brake hydraulic systems. That could be the result of a leak in one of the brake systems (front or rear), air in one of them, or a restriction in the brake line for front or rear brakes. Have you checked the brake fluid level? There is no switch on the reservoir, but low brake fluid could put air in the lines.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
As I indicated, the red "BRAKE" light serves two purposes.

First is to indicate the E-Brake is on. It could be a problem with a stuck switch on the E-Brake handle assembly, keeping the light on even though the handle is in the down position.

Second, it indicates unequal pressure distribution between the front and rear brake hydraulic systems. That could be the result of a leak in one of the brake systems (front or rear), air in one of them, or a restriction in the brake line for front or rear brakes. Have you checked the brake fluid level? There is no switch on the reservoir, but low brake fluid could put air in the lines.
Yeah I'm going to check the brake fluid level tomorrow when i get off work. Hopefully it's something that I can fix. Other than that she runs pretty good and shifts good. She sounds amazing too
Old 02-16-2016, 09:55 PM

This is my exhaust. Let me know what you all think.