Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Turbo or Supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 08:02 AM

Turbo or Supercharger?

I'm considering building a forced induction motor for my 1996 WS6. Going to build a forged 355 bottom end and maybe go with AFR 210 heads. I'm presently running Lingenfelter LT4 heads that flow 280cfm@0.600" lift. I'd like to do a turbo or twin turbo, but it seems like supercharges are more proven and more readily available for LT1's. Any input appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 01-12-2016, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

Re: Turbo or Supercharger?

There are made-to-fit bolt-on supercharger kits available for LT1, so it's definitely the more accessible and popular option.

If you want to go turbocharged, you'll need to work harder to get all of the right parts together, and drivability tuning (non-WOT) is a bit trickier. It'll end up taking more time, and depending on your approach, possibly costing more. There might be parts you need that are simply not available for purchase, so you'll need to fabricate them yourself.

There are "universal" turbo kits that can be really helpful, but you can save money by sourcing the individual parts yourself. Here's one:
TurboKits.com | TurboKits.com Universal Twin Turbo Kits for 2.8L - 6.0L Motors | Price: $2,695.00

Some people like to mount the exhaust manifolds backwards and mount the turbo in front of the motor, right after the collector. This simplifies some aspects and complicates others.

Turbo cars are sweet. If you think you're up for it, do it!
Old 01-12-2016, 09:38 AM
Administrator

I'm sort of surprised you can get away with 24 #/HR (stock) injectors with those heads and the cam. Going to need much larger injectors for a forced induction app.

[EDIT] Duplicate thread on "General 67-02 F-Body Tech" closed.

Last edited by Injuneer; 01-12-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:04 AM

Fred, You are correct. I didn't get away with stock injectors. I'm using 30# SVO's. I must have brain-farted when I composed my sig. Sig is now corrected. Thank's for the heads-up!
Old 01-12-2016, 03:03 PM

Turbo vs S/C depends on what you want to do with the car.

I wouldnt say superchargers are more prove, but there are more s/c kits ready to go off the shelf for LT1's then there are turbo kits.

IMO, I’d do a turbo if you are up to it as there are many benefits: Boost change is as easy as a **** or a setting on a controller, utilize wasted exhaust, and no issues with belt slip.

There are also some cons: under hood temps can be high if not properly addressed, more complex system, typically have to fab your own or find someone to build it for you, and is typically more expensive due to more parts in a kit.

I have built quite a few turbo LT1 kits (as many longtime members on here know), and there are many ways to build a good kit for the car, you just need to know what you want out of the car. You want A/C or are you willing to delete it? Those are the types of things you need to figure out.

I have been trying to support the LT1 community by fabbing turbo kits since 2007. I do this as a hobby, and enjoy seeing customers make big power (or meet their desired goals). My kits havent been perfect, but I do what I can to make sure the customer is happy. Let me know if I can help in any way, even just offering advice on design or turbo sizing if you want to build it yourself.

Jon