Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Any of you FI guys using the High Impendance 1000cc and above injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 07:35 AM

Re: Any of you FI guys using the High Impendance 1000cc and above injectors?

__I took out my mototron 60# and installed these 127# over the weekend in my boosted LT1. I still have the LT1 OBDI computer and the stock 3 bar Fuel Pressure regulator.

__Since I'm running a 2 bar Speed Density tune, for a baseline injector setting, I took my 60# tunes setting (60 x 41% = 24.9) and applied the 41% against the 3 bar poundage (109#) to get 45#. I also took the data sheets injector offsets and took an average of the 3 cells per row in the columns of of 20,25,30 KPA and applied them to the single column of offsets that LT1 computers have defined. I crossed my fingers and fired it up, and to my freakin' delight, the wide band immediately displayed 14.7. I realized that if it displayed that on a cold start, that would actually probably turn out lean once it was at operating temperature.

__Sure enough, after a moderate test drive, it was displaying "LEAN" on the wide band (20:1 or above). I pulled out the laptop, set the injector down two digits to 43 and loaded that.

__I had to drive from Albany to Rochester (249 miles one way) at that time so I loaded up the car and got on the freeway. Sweet lord,... at 75mph and 2,000 rpm it was usually at -14 to -15, depending of the levelness of the highway. At that specific KPA (27 typically) the wide band showed 14.7. At KPA above that, where the gauge would show -13 to -9, depending on load, the A/F ratio would trend a tad lean at 15.x and 16.x. I'll have to fatten up those VE cells.

__When I pulled off the freeway and went to idle at the toll plaza, the engine was once again going in and out of 'LEAN' and the idle was 'hunting'. It idled like some of those ProMods, where the idle escalates about 300 rpm, the drops back, repeating the cycle every second. This morning, I dropped my injector constant (thus fattening up the entire range) by 1 so it's now set to 41.997. This has nailed the hot idle issue and it's now 14.x, but attendantly, the rest of the KPA range is now a tad richer too. My -14/27kpa ratio is now 13.5 instead of 14.7 so I'll have to pull some numbers off those VE cells and get everything that is rich, where it belongs and everything that is a tad lean back to 14.x.

All and all, I'm over the moon about these injectors. When I get all the lean/rich details addressed, I'll start working on the WOT. I took a brief plunge to 12.5 psi this morning and she felt as strong as ever, maybe a tad more at that particular PSI. Since the rear of the car was trying to pass the front, my eyes were glued to the road, not the Wideband so I can't say what that portrayed just yet.