Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

Tips I found out over the past week-erratic idle/O2's/Running lean.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 03:42 PM

Tips I found out over the past week-erratic idle/O2's/Running lean.

I have the solutions applied but I thought I'd add this post in case you guys encounter the behaviors. You can check these items.

Issue: Car was running okay, but progressively more and more rough. Runs 'okay' at WOT but the rest of the time, it just feels off.

Cause: I thought I'd check my plugs that I installed before this past winter (it's now 5/30/2014). First plug I grabbed, #6 because it's the easiest with my turbo hotside, I found it to be backed out a few threads. Ugh...

Fix: put in new set of plugs and runs fantastic again.
==========================================
Issue: Car got into boost alright but never felt all that much better than the old turbo (went from a TC76 to a PT76GTS). This impression was made last Fall. When I got the car out of storage this Spring, I took her out and gave her a good bit of throttle. Car made a truly weird fluttery sound then kind of whistled. I let off and went back to the driveway.

Cause: Throttle body bolts, installed in 2009, had became loose. The throttle body could literally be rocked back and forth. This meant that below boost, it probably sealed okay because of the vacuum of the motor. But under boost, it would have pushed the throttle body away from the manifold, letting pressure out around the entire perimeter of the throttle body.

Fix: Had a brand new TB gasket handy and installed it TIGHTLY this time. Result: Wooooww... I was thinking of going twin turbo(already bought them. They are here in the box beside my desk) because I was so under-impressed with the PT76. Now, It flies and is bad assed aggressive. I'm holding off till next winter to do the twins.
================================================== ==
Issue: Engine would periodically run VERY lean but only at idle. It would hunt up and down, about 100 RPM over and over every second. It would go from 800 rpm(the target idle in the tune) to 900 and back. Meanwhile, the wide band would show 18:1 afr to just literally the word LEAN on my pod gauge. I scanned/logged the engine with data master to find the IAC counts were going up and down. I assumed dirty IAC since I haven't cleaned it in 5 years.

Cause: You've already guessed. Took the TB off and rotated it over to take off the IAC motor, only to find one bolt gone, the other not tight. The Motor, as attached was flexing every time the pintle pushed against the seat.

Fix: Cleaned the IAC motor, pintle and seat. Found a replacement bolt/screw and put it in TIGHTLY.

Result: smoooooth idle
Old 05-30-2014, 05:50 PM

Re: Tips I found out over the past week-erratic idle/O2's/Running lean.

Dave, Do I need to send you a torque wrench and a bottle of Locktite 242?
Old 05-30-2014, 09:38 PM

Re: Tips I found out over the past week-erratic idle/O2's/Running lean.

Hahaha... I knew that was coming.

I blame it on the process. I only get little bits of time to work on the car with all the honey do's and everything else. I'll get half way into something when the wife calls me to go to the store or pick up our step daughter, etc. Then, when I get back to the car, I've forgotten what I had done and what level of complete/incomplete I'd stopped upon.

Never the less, borderline incompetent. Fortunately, the car/engine has been very forgiving. It runs like a raped ape and is so dependable on these weekly commutes to/from Rochester/Albany every week. Love it, love it, love it....

BTW, I had a late model Camaro pull up beside me at a stoplight and rev his exhaust like he wanted to race. This was in front of a Mall. I wasn't biting that at all. Next, (same night) a Challenger R/T did the same thing but near a Sheriff's depot. Nooo Thanks. Lol...

Originally Posted by Kevin Blown 95 TA
Dave, Do I need to send you a torque wrench and a bottle of Locktite 242?