Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

window motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 07:05 PM

window motor

hey everybody my driver side window doesnt roll down basically doesnt work but my passenger side does work,but when i push the window button up on the driverside im hearing a clicking sound coming from the seat belt sensor for the light,my seat belt light is NOT on the dash when i start the car up, ever since i havent seen the light come on when i dont put on my belt my window hasnt been working.This mechanic told me its my window motor if thats the issue can i get a location of the motor please
Old 04-05-2011, 09:05 PM

Re: window motor

The power window motor is inside the door. It's fairly easy to replace. If it's been replaced before, it won't be as hard, as the rivets will already be drilled out. You can find a how to on shoebox's site.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by 94Z28LS1toLT1
hey everybody my driver side window doesnt roll down basically doesnt work but my passenger side does work,but when i push the window button up on the driverside im hearing a clicking sound coming from the seat belt sensor for the light,my seat belt light is NOT on the dash when i start the car up, ever since i havent seen the light come on when i dont put on my belt my window hasnt been working.This mechanic told me its my window motor if thats the issue can i get a location of the motor please
It's probably the motor, and the dealer quoted me $475 parts and labor to get mine replaced.
HAH.
Since I just got the car, and the motor was included, and I'm a cheap ***, I decided to do it myself. It was easy, just take your time. Easy for me to do as I have another car to transport me while working on this one. Use this guide: http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html - it is awesome! Goes through the complete thing, with pics, for both sides. I can say be careful removing the door PANEL, that is the only part I really took time on to make sure I didn't break any clips. Everything else seemed fairly simple, only part I didn't feel comfortable with was drilling in the door...but since I couldn't see it anyways, once I did it I figured it was no big deal. Like I said, take your time, and you'll save a lot of money!

Last edited by Guitar; 04-24-2011 at 10:51 AM. Reason: L.dookie!
Old 04-24-2011, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Guitar
I can say be careful removing the door, that is the only part I really took time on to make sure I didn't break any clips.
I'm sure you meant Door PANEL. it'd be a bit ridiculous to take off the door just to replace the motor
Old 04-25-2011, 01:41 PM

I've replaced both motors in my car and both in my mom's 94 Firebird. They are so prone to failure that I used the drill method. I mean the plastic sheeting and door panel are there so you can't see it, it doesn't affect the integrity of the door or anything, add in that it takes longer to pull the door panel than to actually change out the motor on any subsequent replacements. So unless you are uber-**** about your car it's not a big deal. Similar to the fuel pump trap door method of replacing a fuel pump. To each his own.