Wheels and Tires For all wheel and tire and related discussion - Sponsored by Nitto Tire

Tire question

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 03:23 PM

Tire question

the 555R's will last around 10k right?

what about these?:
http://www.americastire.com/dtcs/fin...p=&rd=18&ar=30

also are the previous tires street legal? It says DOT approved....so...
how long will those last? Are they for autoX or Drag?

I'm looking for a set of streetable DR's in 315/30/18 for a new set of wheels i may get.

They say that the tires get better traction when they are heat cycled...but recommend that its done professionally...what does that mean? Also, how and why would you shave them from 6/32 to 4/32?

how do this compare to the other 2 listed?
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=3

Remember, i'm looking for drag radials that will serve use on the street as well, on an 18" wheel
Old 01-28-2006, 05:09 PM

Re: Tire question

How long they last depends on many factors. Most of which is how you drive.

The Nitto NT-01 is DOT legal. It says that right on the page you gave the link to. Again, this is right off the page you put the link for: "deliver extreme cornering power for fast and consistent track times." Cornering...does that sound like drags? They are soft, so they would be better than a street radial for drags, but wouldn't be optimum like a drag tire. Sidewalls would be stiffer. How long will it last? See the beginning of this post.

Tire #3 is the BFG DR. DRAG radial. Thay're softer than the Nitto 555R so it won't last as long but you'll hook better. Again how long? See above.

When you're really serious you'll ditch the 18's.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:12 PM

Those Nittos are a road race tire designed for autocross not a drag radial. If you are set on going with 18s, the best choice for a drag radial would be the BFG G-Force Drag Radial in whatever 18" size will fit your wheels. Generally, you'll get 5000 miles out of any good DR. As far as drag racing traction, 18s will give you very little sidewall and they wont hook nearly as well as a 16" tire of the same height. In drag racing your front to back contact patch is more important than how wide your tire is (side to side contact patch). I used to run 17s until I tried the 16s and shaved almost .2 off my 60' consistently...using a tire that was 20mm narrower...

--Alan

Last edited by ABA383; 01-28-2006 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:18 PM

those nittos wont last for **** with daily use

4/32nds of of tread is the point you wanna replace tires at. 3 is legally bald

thing about that
Old 01-28-2006, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
How long they last depends on many factors. Most of which is how you drive.

The Nitto NT-01 is DOT legal. It says that right on the page you gave the link to. Again, this is right off the page you put the link for: "deliver extreme cornering power for fast and consistent track times." Cornering...does that sound like drags? They are soft, so they would be better than a street radial for drags, but wouldn't be optimum like a drag tire. Sidewalls would be stiffer. How long will it last? See the beginning of this post.

Tire #3 is the BFG DR. DRAG radial. Thay're softer than the Nitto 555R so it won't last as long but you'll hook better. Again how long? See above.

When you're really serious you'll ditch the 18's.
ok, well i didn't know if DOT meant street legal or not. they could have been dual purpose track tires...i didn't know...so i asked.

I want to race at the track with the wheels i drive on everyday....don't want to have to have another set to go faster. I want to do the best on what i drive daily so i know what it can do. I go to the track occasionally and do not abuse them on the street....so i was looking for a ballpark # of miles.

How are the BFG's softer than the 555R's i thought they were about the same, just Nitto doesn't have an 18.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:29 AM

Softer compound on the BFGs. Road texture and other things also play a role in how long they'll last. Nitto and BFG can't even give you a treadlife.

DOT = Department of Transportation. So if they approve something its street legal.

DR's are not really for daily use. Please don't try to drive on them in the rain. I don't care what they say in advertising. 5/32 isn't very deep grooves for high speed water channelling. Like Zack said 3/32 is legally bald. 2/32 difference will still mean you can hydroplane relatively easily. Since its a daily driver, you'll probably be better off running a more street oriented tire like the BFG KD, Kumho MX, or GY GSD3
Old 01-29-2006, 01:20 PM
Administrator

"DOT" does not necessarily mean street legal. It means that the manufacturer simply designed it to meet the DOT as interpreted by a particular racing authority. It may have so little tread that it is not recommended for actual street use.

Hoosier's take on "DOT" labeled tires that it sells:
WARNING

NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE: All Hoosier Racing Tires including DOT labeled Hoosier Racing Tires are designed for racing purposes only on specified racing surfaces and are not to be operated on public roadways. DOT labeled Hoosier Racing Tires meet Department Of Transportation requirements for marking and performance only and are NOT INTENDED FOR HIGHWAY USE. It is unsafe to operate any Hoosier Racing Tire including DOT tires on public roads. The prohibited use of Hoosier Racing Tires on public roadways may result in loss of traction, unexpected loss of vehicle control, or sudden loss of tire pressure, resulting in a vehicle crash and possible injury or death.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:15 PM

ok, that makes more sense now.

**edit....i would NOT be running these in wet weather...or just winter time period**
Old 01-29-2006, 05:48 PM

FWIW..the NT01 nittos have on the sidewalls the words 'recommended competition use only'