Wheels and Tires For all wheel and tire and related discussion - Sponsored by Nitto Tire

Lug nuts for my welds? Will these work?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 02:54 PM

Lug nuts for my welds? Will these work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LUG-N...spagenameZWDVW

Do I really need spacers for the front wheels on my 96 Z? I have ProStars.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:49 PM
Administrator

The specs for the Weld Pro-Star lugs are in the FAQ stickied at the top of the "Wheels and Tires" forum topic listing.

Part # 601-1422
X-TRA LONG MAG SHANK
1.380" Shank Length X .687 Diameter
12MM x 1.5 RH Open End Nuts with Centered Washers

The lugs you linked to are not the correct thread diameter - they are 1/2", not the 12mm threads required on a 4th Gen.

The need for spacers is also covered in the FAQ. I've heard of people grinding the end off the horizontal bar on the steering knuckle, and hammering down the springs on the brake pads in an attemt to clear the wheels without a spacer, and some have managed to make it work, others have not. A buddy of mine was convinced he had the answer, and one day while he was driving the car, the brake pad spring caught on the wheel spoke, screwed up the wheel pretty bad and ripped the brake pad right out of the rotor.

The FAQ tells you what definitely works. The other methods of correcting the interference seem to be hit or miss.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:55 PM

Ya I saw the sticky thread and just wanted to know if it was REALLY necessary to get those spacers. I'll get them. Anyone carry those spacers for our car at a decent price?
Old 11-10-2006, 10:25 AM
Administrator

I just run some cheap ones I picked up at a local auto parts store. They work fine, but tecnically are not NHRA legal. NHRA requires that the spacer be firmly centered on the hub, either by a "hub-centric" fit on the hub itself, or using the lugs to center it (lug-centric). The ones I have are a "universal" 5-bolt spacer, so rather than a simple circular stud hole that matches the 4.75" bolt circle studs, they have slotted holes so they can fit anywhere from 4.5-5.0" bolt circles.

When I mount my wheels, I make sure I hold the spacer very carefully centered on the hub, as I tighten the wheels. I also have the spacer and the brake hats painted flat black, so the spacers aren't as noticable. That seems to have kept me out of trouble with tech.

Skulte will make the hub-centric spacers to your exact requirements, but you are looking at maybe $100 a pair.

Also read the part about the stud thread engagement in the hex portion of the lug. I've been nailed on that one in tech, and had to install longer studs.