Wheels and Tires For all wheel and tire and related discussion - Sponsored by Nitto Tire

Looking for tires that don't have sidewalls that are narrower than the rim

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 03:15 PM

Looking for tires that don't have sidewalls that are narrower than the rim

I'm looking to buy some brand name 275/35 R18 tires but don't know which ones to go with because a lot of tires I see these days seem to have sidewalls that are narrower than the rim. I'm not going to change tire widths either.

The last set of Bridgestone Potenza's I bought 10 years ago looked great and the sidewalk stuck out from the rim just enough that it looked perfect.

The only tire I can come up with at this point is the bfgoodrich sport comp 2. I've heard that it has a "regular" look and not a skinny look when installed.

Hopefully I'm explains this ok. I don't have pics at the moment.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:59 PM

Re: Looking for tires that don't have sidewalls that are narrower than the rim

I have firestone wide-ovals and they look pretty good.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:21 PM
Administrator

What is the width of the wheel you are putting that size tire on? If it isn't within the tire manufacturer's recommended maximum wheel width, the tire is going to look "stretched" on the wheel, and the sidewall will not project beyond the edges of the wheel.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:30 PM

the wheel is 18x9.5.
275/35 R18 is the correct size

The bridgestones I have on there from 10 years ago look great, but like I said, it seems like new tires I've seeb on other cars don't quite fit/look the same.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:38 AM
Administrator

A 9.5" wheel (the 9.5 is measured at the tire beads) is actually 10.5" wide when you include the flanges that retain the tire beads. The nominal width of a 275mm tire is 10.83". That is the "section width", or the widest part of the sidewalls.

Go to Tire Rack, click on "tires", click on "shop by size". When you get the list of 275/35-18 tires, click in "specs" for each tire. When you get the table of measurements, look for "section width". That is the actual measure width of that specific tire model, when mounted on the "measured rim width" wheel. Typically a 275 is measured on a 9.5" wide wheel.

For example, the Bridgestone Potenza RE050 Pole Position RFT is 10.9" wide, when mounted on a 9.5" wide rim.

The Michelin Pilot Super Sport is only 10.7" wide on a 9.5" wide rim.

Go through all the tires you find interesting, and pick the widest one.

I don't think manufacturers are suddenly making the sidewalls narrower. If it's a 275 tire, it has to be close to 275mm wide at the sidewalls. I do see cars with tires that are obviously too narrow for the wheel, and agree they look bad, and don't protect the wheels from curb rash. But that's not the manufacturer downsizing the sidewalls, that someone (usually a ricer) putting the wrong size tires on the wheel.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:20 PM

Thanks a lot, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I'm going to check the measurements out

Originally Posted by Injuneer
A 9.5" wheel (the 9.5 is measured at the tire beads) is actually 10.5" wide when you include the flanges that retain the tire beads. The nominal width of a 275mm tire is 10.83". That is the "section width", or the widest part of the sidewalls.

Go to Tire Rack, click on "tires", click on "shop by size". When you get the list of 275/35-18 tires, click in "specs" for each tire. When you get the table of measurements, look for "section width". That is the actual measure width of that specific tire model, when mounted on the "measured rim width" wheel. Typically a 275 is measured on a 9.5" wide wheel.

For example, the Bridgestone Potenza RE050 Pole Position RFT is 10.9" wide, when mounted on a 9.5" wide rim.

The Michelin Pilot Super Sport is only 10.7" wide on a 9.5" wide rim.

Go through all the tires you find interesting, and pick the widest one.

I don't think manufacturers are suddenly making the sidewalls narrower. If it's a 275 tire, it has to be close to 275mm wide at the sidewalls. I do see cars with tires that are obviously too narrow for the wheel, and agree they look bad, and don't protect the wheels from curb rash. But that's not the manufacturer downsizing the sidewalls, that someone (usually a ricer) putting the wrong size tires on the wheel.