Wheels and Tires For all wheel and tire and related discussion - Sponsored by Nitto Tire

I like the black ZO6 wheels on Discount Tires Direct but are they the right size?????

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 01:00 AM

Question I like the black ZO6 wheels on Discount Tires Direct but are they the right size?????

http://discounttire.com/dtc/findWhee...INT&vid=004486

They are 18"x9.5"

These are the ones I like but I'm not sure if the 56mm offset is the right one. These were listed for Corvettes but not for the fbodies.

The Fbody ones only came in 17" but with a 54mm offset. I want the 18". Is the 2mm difference at all significant?

Does anyone else sell a different offset in the black ZO6's?

I want my wheels to fit just like the stock ws6 rims did.
Old 10-17-2004, 04:55 PM

Re: I like the black ZO6 wheels on Discount Tires Direct but are they the right size?????

You will have to look at the width of the wheels along with the offset. Injuneer posted this a few weeks ago. This will help.

The wheel width (example: 17 x 11) is the distance between the points where the tire bead seats on the rim. Essentially, an 11" wide wheel is 11" wide INSIDE the flanges that hold the tire on the rim. The overall width would be 11" plus the width of the two flanges.... so an 11" wide wheel will actually measure closer to 12" wide, when you measure from the front to the rear.

Offset is the distance that the hub mounting face of the wheel is "offset" from the centerline of the wheel. Let's stick with our 17x11 wheel, that actually measures about 12" wide. If the offset is 50mm (let's round that off to 2"), the centerline of the wheel is 2 inches deeper in the wheel well than the mounting face of the axle flange. This wheel would have a 8" backspace (12"/2 centerline + 2 offset) = (6 + 2) = 8".

If you want to measure backspace, you put a straight-edge flat across the back of the wheel, and measure at the center of the wheel the distance from the straight-edge to the flat surface of the wheel that mounts against the axle flange.

Tire Rack has some decent diagrams showing all this.

If you make the rear axle wider, the offset has to increase. Make the axle 1" wider on each end, and you need a wheel with 1" offset to keep it in the same spot under the fender line.

In the old days.... (= 3rd Gen F-Body), the front suspension and the rear axle width was designed so that the wheel would pretty much have "0" offset.... that is, the mounting surface of the axle flange would be right over the centerline of the wheel. An 8" wide wheel (measures 9" on the outside) would have a backspace of 4.5" (9 / 2). But there was a problem fitting the drivetrain behind the wheel on front wheel drive cars, so they started pushing the mounting surface of the wheel out-ward to make more room for the CV joints and such, resulting in a large offset, a large backspace, and very little in the way of "dish" to the wheels. Not sure why GM felt obligated to adapt the front wheel drive strategy to the 4th Gen, but they've done it on the Corvette and other rear wheel drive cars, resulting in wheels that look "flat", and lack the deep dish look of the older muscle cars.

You can't do anything with your Moser 9-inch, other than have it "narrowed".... or you could have just bought it with 3rd Gen dimensions. Narrowing a rear might get pricey.... I'm sure Moser could quote you a figure.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Re: I like the black ZO6 wheels on Discount Tires Direct but are they the right size?????

18 x 9.5" will work with any offset in the range of 45 - 56mm. The 56mm dimension will add 0.20" to the outside of the wheel/tire, and 0.30" to the backspace, compared to your 17x9 WS6 wheels. A 54mm offset would add 0.30" to the outside of the wheel/tire, and only 0.20" to the backspace, compared to the WS6 wheels. I don't think you will notice 1/10th of an inch one way or the other.