Wheels and Tires For all wheel and tire and related discussion - Sponsored by Nitto Tire

Hoosier DOT drag radials

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 04:24 PM

Hoosier DOT drag radials

Any body have experience with the hoosiers drag radials.

I was looking to get new tires but trying to decide which route I want to take.

Hoosier carries 17s in my stock size and in the size I would look for if I wanted to go 16 inch rims for the track.
Only thing is this car is my cruiser for maybe 4 or 5 days a week depending on weather and I do some highway driving. These Tires I hear aren't recommended for that and can be dangerous.

Right now on my stock 17s I have the mickey thompson et street s/s which I like for daily use.

I was looking into the MT ET street R Tires but don't seem to find any in my size. Closest ive seen where the 245/45r17 which are the same diameter as mine but not sure of that would work.

So I'm thinking of just keeping the tires I have now and using them for driving and some 16 inch with the hoosiers for track.

Opinions?
Old 05-08-2016, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Hoosier DOT drag radials

IMO: get a high performance, non-slick summer tire for the street. Use your ET Streets up at the track, and when it's time to replace them, try the Hoosiers.

A 245-series tire is probably way too narrow for your 9" wheel. Don't do that. (The stickler point of view is that every tire has a range of recommended wheel widths, and you should look up what the specific tire you have in mind requires.)
Old 05-08-2016, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
IMO: get a high performance, non-slick summer tire for the street. Use your ET Streets up at the track, and when it's time to replace them, try the Hoosiers.

A 245-series tire is probably way too narrow for your 9" wheel. Don't do that. (The stickler point of view is that every tire has a range of recommended wheel widths, and you should look up what the specific tire you have in mind requires.)
thanks for the response I forgot about this thread lol. Well I ended up actually buying some older z28 wheels and put the hoosiers on them just for when I go to the track. Good idea bad idea it's already done haha. I still have the ets on my 17s I'll eventually need new ones
Old 06-08-2016, 01:17 PM

Alright so I'm really thinking in now utilizing my 16 inch rims for some nice slicks.. drag radials are cool and all but could do better.
I know 15inch is optimal but I don't want to mess with the rear calipers and I already have 16 inch rims.
Hoosier quick time pro have 16 inch tire combinations where as mickey thompson does not.
Should I run the 26 inch 9.5 inch wide tire or a 28 inch 10 or 11.5 inch wide tire?
Mods are in sig. I currently run a 125 dry shot but I'm getting my wet kit Friday capable of 250 tho I plan on maxing at 200 right now. 3.73 gears and a 4l80e
What is my best option
Anyone I know says they use a bias ply slick and never look back