Wheels and Tires For all wheel and tire and related discussion - Sponsored by Nitto Tire

ARP Wheel Studs 100-7708 - Will closed lugs work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 06:41 PM

ARP Wheel Studs 100-7708 - Will closed lugs work?

When I pugraded to Z06 wheels I noticed that with the stock rear studs I could only get around 3 turns on them. Becasue of this, I decided to upgrade my studs to the ARP 100-7708 studs.

My question is this. Will I be able to use closed end lug nuts or are these studs going to be so long that I need open lug nuts?
Old 06-21-2006, 09:25 AM
Administrator

Re: ARP Wheel Studs 100-7708 - Will closed lugs work?

Are you sure the wheels were fully seated on the hubs? There's no reason the front and rears should be different.... the stud lengths are the same. Possibly the inner diameter of the wheels needs to be sanded lightly to clear the hubs? See the FAQ.

What's the length on the ARP studs?
Old 06-21-2006, 01:52 PM

Re: ARP Wheel Studs 100-7708 - Will closed lugs work?

Thanks for replying Fred. Let me give you a little more of my info, as I’ve been reading about this wheel stud thing on the board for a couple of weeks now and have been scratching my head.

First, to the stock rear studs….

Prior to obtaining a micrometer, I checked the length of stud extending from the outside of the brake disk and determined that the rear studs were approximately 3/8 of an inch shorter than the front, measuring from the same area, i.e. the outside surface of the brake rotor..

I had also previously checked to make sure that the rear wheel was clearing the hub and it looked OK. I could clearly see that the mounting surface on the wheels was flush with the rotor hat and that the hub did extend into the center of the wheel without difficulty.

FYI, the wheels are actually cheap Z06 knock offs from an outfit down in Florida that sells on EBay. They appear to fit the hub of my 95 car OK. These wheels are stamped 54mm, even though their auctions always list a 56mm offset. I don’t know if this is a factor in the length of stud extending from the wheel, but I thought I’d mention it. Here’s a link to one of their auctions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/17-9-...1272QQtcZphoto

I have taken my micrometer and measured the ARP stud at 2.670 inches. The studs that I removed from the rear axles are 1.840 inches, of which 1.510 inches is threaded.

So, what do you think Fred. Will the studs be too long for my lug nuts? I’d simply try and bolt everything back up to see, but until I figure out how to solve my other problem and get my spider gears back in alignment to insert the pin it’s a mute point anyway.