West South Central Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Texas

Got one of those smog letters in the mail today

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 02:44 PM

Post it dude.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:59 PM

On the southeast side of town near clear lake there is one that is always setup. I normally pass by him daily. Most of the time I see the guy standing outside it just watching everybody drive by.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:56 PM

From the Texas Natural Resource conservation Commision:

"The van-installed on-road testing equipment is strategically placed to capture auto emissions from single-lane traffic in an acceleration mode and is utilized in densely populated areas."

Acceleration mode??

And what about the fact that durring acceleration the PCM has a fuel table that ADDS EXTRA FUEL BY DESIGN FROM GENERAL MOTORS?

So now the burden is for you to educate the judge about fueling tables so you can prove yourself innocent.

Last edited by quicksilver97ta; 07-14-2004 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:39 PM

This is crap... they had the same thing at I-10 and Eldridge (obe exit away). I had to get a running start so I could coast by it!

Next time I see one I'm going to let my 77 sit next to it for a while, that oughtta choke that bi**h out! It practically drips gas out the tailpipe!
Old 07-14-2004, 10:12 PM

They had one on the I-10 west bound entrance ramp from HWY 6.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:19 PM

I know they are trying to make Texas cleaner but this way? It is totally dumb and unfounded.
If it happened to me, I would fight them and make them prove that it was my car first. I won't cough up some dough whenever some dumba** barks. Put my car on a dyno and show me that it does not pass.

Lou
Old 07-15-2004, 05:17 AM

I don't think a stock car will register high enough to get a letter. Maybe I am wrong. RedRider, is your car stock? Does it have cats?

If your car is modded, it long tubes, no cats. cam, etc, go past the machine at idle or 1500 in neutral. Car typically put out more ppm of hydrocarbons at idle, but the total volume is much lower.

If it happened to me, I would fight them and make them prove that it was my car first.
Unfortunately, driving on public roads is a privilege, not a right.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by chuck
I don't think a stock car will register high enough to get a letter. Maybe I am wrong.

Who wants to find out this way?? The current Vehicle emmissions testing done durring inspection does not test the car under these conditions -this is a first time test, and its a pop test. I would fight it for the reasons I mentioned, they're good reasons. It's the vehicle engineers that designed a fuel enrichment mode OVER the stoich 14.7:1 air/fuel ratio. Will it make the car a "high emitter"? There's a good chance. On many cars including an LT1 car the PCM doesn't even use the O2's at times, the computer just blindly adds gas, -all stock. Look how black the inside of the exhasut is.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:31 AM

They test on the on ramps in the DFW area too.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by chuck
I don't think a stock car will register high enough to get a letter. Maybe I am wrong. RedRider, is your car stock? Does it have cats?

If your car is modded, it long tubes, no cats. cam, etc, go past the machine at idle or 1500 in neutral. Car typically put out more ppm of hydrocarbons at idle, but the total volume is much lower.

Unfortunately, driving on public roads is a privilege, not a right.
First of all, my car is completely stock. The testing happed May 21st, and just two weeks before that happened, I did a total tune-up including plugs, wires, and O2's. That is why I think it is such bull****.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:56 PM

so what's the deal with this stuff. i live in baytown and go to Texas A&M. i live up here enough that i get my car inspected without emissions in Brazos county. i hafta pass through houston all the time, will it matter for passers through who don't have emissions??

BTW- that sux man
Old 07-15-2004, 07:35 PM

I found this....If you are idling for more than five minute, subject to citation.... There are exceptions....

No person shall cause, suffer, allow, or permit the primary propulsion engine of a motor vehicle to idle for more than five consecutive minutes in the counties listed in §114.509 of this title (relating to Affected Counties and Compliance Dates) when the vehicle is not in motion during the period of April 1 through October 31 of each calendar year.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by Camaro37
Can't you just shut the car off and coast by one of the those? Or can they see that you are emitting no exhaust?
I have went through two of these in DFW this way. I know my car would fail since I don't have cats, smog, egr etc also a big cam.
If I see them I just speed up until I get close then kill the car. I figure my car that has been turned off for 2 seconds or so puts out as much emmisions as a honda does all the time lol!!!!
Old 07-16-2004, 03:45 PM

Emision LAWS apply to ALL, not just those who get tested. So if
you come to town be prepared.

Originally posted by roadrage912
so what's the deal with this stuff. i live in baytown and go to Texas A&M. i live up here enough that i get my car inspected without emissions in Brazos county. i hafta pass through houston all the time, will it matter for passers through who don't have emissions??

BTW- that sux man
Old 07-17-2004, 01:54 AM

Stupid environmental bullsht, by the time anything happens we'll be long gone...so who cares is what i say

Quick Reply: Got one of those smog letters in the mail today