West South Central Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Texas

93 firebird formula LT1 cooling problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by TUNDRKYS

Let me ask you guys this. If the car is sitting in my driveway, should I be able to leave the radiator cap off, start the car, and watch the coolant flow through the system??

What happens, is after the thermostat opens, and the coolant starts flowing through the system, it will start violently blow out of the radiator. I've always thought it was trapped air inside the system, coming to the radiator, and finally finding a place to exit the system. But if that were the case, you would expect it to stop, after the system has been fully inventoried with coolant.
Yes, you should be able too see coolant flow in the radiator. No it should not "violentlly blow out of the radiator." You sir seem to have a blown head gasket.

To the OP, the heater core has nothing to do with engine cooling performance. If you replaced everything you said you did, and everything is working like you say (fans and such), you may have a blown head gasket as well.

Both of you guys need to get a cooling system pressure tester. Pump the system up to spec, it should hold the pressure. If it does then run the engine and get it hot then perform the test again (be carefull taking the cap off hot). If it dont hold pressure you need to find the leak. If you cant find a leak its probably in the engine. If there is no coolant in your oil its probably in your cylinder and that explains everything.

Also you can take the vent hose off the radiator (the top one), and run a different hose into a can of water. If you get bubbles out of it you're in trouble as well.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:13 PM

Blown head gasket is a good possibility, but I don't think it could be that since he says he can still drive the car down the highway just fine, and it only gets hot in the city.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:22 AM

Thanks to both of you.

I've heard the blown headgasket theory before, but as 69 says, I would have thought other symptoms would have made it evident. I'll look for a pressure tester, and try that though.

Again, thanks.