V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

vibrations while braking

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 04:25 PM

vibrations while braking

my 98 vibrates under moderate braking, not too bad though
i just got it back from the colision shop and i cant seam to recall if it just started doing it(mabey im being to criticle) i know its not a lexus, a little vibration in the wheel is normal right?
Old 03-31-2003, 04:33 PM

Your rotors could be warped. Time for a brake job.
Old 03-31-2003, 04:41 PM

Turning the rotors is six bucks a rotor. Buying new ones is about $38.99 to $93.99 a rotor!

Turning rotors and buying new pads is the most cost effective way. Safety is not compromised.
Old 03-31-2003, 04:43 PM

Thumbs up

Now would be the time to get the set of brakes you always wanted (i.e Baer's or whatever you choose - that's if you can afford them! )

Replacement rotors are reasonably priced, but I'd go for a good aftermarket (and BIGGER) rotor and caliper set, that will fit inside your wheels.
Old 03-31-2003, 05:46 PM

Everyone is saying rotors, but don't forget it can also be your tires.
Old 03-31-2003, 06:24 PM

Don't get the rotors turned. Even though it is cheap you will just be wasting your money. Stock GM rotors on our cars are notoriously known for their bad quality and will just warp again in no time. Get new rotors. I would recommend either powerslot rotors or some KVR's. Both are great quality and will be sure to last a long time.

-Adam
Old 03-31-2003, 06:46 PM

That is the biggest bunch of crap I have ever heard.
I bought pads for my V6 at 50,000 miles, looked at the rotors and pads, still looked brand new. So I just drove it till the wear indicators began to make noise.

With road racing, and autocross,
high speed highway driving and subsequent stops (100 to 0)
And drag racing,
my stock...STOCK brakes lasted 113,000 miles.
So I finally changed the pads and had the rotors turned at Autozone. That's right, the stock rotors were able to be safely turned.
So now I am still running the stock rotors, with a quality pad, and I'm at 125,000+ miles. My braking is still as good as it was brand new, I still stop 60-0 in 120 feet.
My brakes do not shudder one bit.

In fact, I don't know where you get your info, but the GM braking system on the F-body is one of the best production braking systems ever made. They stop the car in shorter times than 90% of the vehicles out there, including those that weigh 1,000 pounds less.

Oh, and in case you're wondering I checked the rear brakes at 113,000 too, they still have 50% of their life left on them. I'm at 125,000 on the rear OEM brakes, bought pads for them at 50,000 miles and still waiting for them to wear out.

How and where exactly did I waste my money by getting them turned??? A turned rotor is the same as a new one - flush. That's all that matters. Even when mine did manage to wear out, they wore evenly, I never shuddered when the wear indicators made noise. There was no deflection of the calipers what so ever.

For a stock 2 piston caliper to make so little deflection to not cause shudder, after extremely high mileage. Should go to show you that the braking system is the exact opposite of what you say it is.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by Bliggida
That is the biggest bunch of crap I have ever heard.
I bought pads for my V6 at 50,000 miles, looked at the rotors and pads, still looked brand new. So I just drove it till the wear indicators began to make noise.

With road racing, and autocross,
high speed highway driving and subsequent stops (100 to 0)
And drag racing,
my stock...STOCK brakes lasted 113,000 miles.
So I finally changed the pads and had the rotors turned at Autozone. That's right, the stock rotors were able to be safely turned.
So now I am still running the stock rotors, with a quality pad, and I'm at 125,000+ miles. My braking is still as good as it was brand new, I still stop 60-0 in 120 feet.
My brakes do not shudder one bit.

In fact, I don't know where you get your info, but the GM braking system on the F-body is one of the best production braking systems ever made. They stop the car in shorter times than 90% of the vehicles out there, including those that weigh 1,000 pounds less.

Oh, and in case you're wondering I checked the rear brakes at 113,000 too, they still have 50% of their life left on them. I'm at 125,000 on the rear OEM brakes, bought pads for them at 50,000 miles and still waiting for them to wear out.

How and where exactly did I waste my money by getting them turned??? A turned rotor is the same as a new one - flush. That's all that matters. Even when mine did manage to wear out, they wore evenly, I never shuddered when the wear indicators made noise. There was no deflection of the calipers what so ever.

For a stock 2 piston caliper to make so little deflection to not cause shudder, after extremely high mileage. Should go to show you that the braking system is the exact opposite of what you say it is.
Well, It looks like you got the magic F-body. Good for you. The majority of this board knows our cars have problems with warped rotors. In fact, it got so bad, that dealers were actually replacing them under warrenty even though they are a wear item. They did for me. They even put out a service bulletin on the matter. But hey, it is your hard earned money so do with it as you please. I hope you get 113,000 miles out of your next set as well. Ask the guys in the LS1 section about this as well. You probably won't believe them though since your car managed to get a decent set so that means f-body's don't have a problem then right? Look around guy, do a search before you go off sounding like a fool.

-Adam
Old 03-31-2003, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by ibanez6rg
Everyone is saying rotors, but don't forget it can also be your tires.
i have almost brand new 235/55 16 eagle HPs' but after the accident they had to replace a tire. the other 3 have prob about 4,000 on them could the difference in tread make a diffrence?

Killerjello:
where to get $18 roters?
prices on quality after market brake pads?

thanks