V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

Upgrades? Which ones?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 09:02 PM

Question Upgrades? Which ones?

Hey guys, I just registered for the fourms. Im almost 16 and I have a 1997 Camaro RS, with a 3.8 and a 5 speed. I didnt have enough money for a v8 car so I got a v6 but I got a heck of a deal and so now I have money for some upgrades. What is your all's advice for what I should get, I was thinking about pace setter headers, and maby some kind of cat. back exhaust system . But I dont exactly know what parts there are for 3.8 cars so I could use any advice you all have.
Thnx,
Lane
Old 08-22-2005, 09:27 PM

Re: Upgrades? Which ones?

You got the right idea on where do go. Just do the simple stuff at first like intake and exhaust. Then a cam and tuning possibly? You might wanna upgrade your clutch when it goes out or just flat our replace it if you want to. Then I would possibly start personalizing your car apperance wise unless you are looking for just performance stuff. Then you might want to talk to some of the other guys on the board I'm more of a 3.4 guy than the 3.8. But its your car you have the right to do what ever you like to feel free to ask questions and welcome to the f-body family.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:48 PM

Im pretty sure the first things I want are intake and exhaust upgrades, but what kind should I get, I was thinking pace setter headers, and maybe the slp cold air kit, but I really have no idea on brands. Also I was thinking about later maybe a comp cam and maybe doing some head work. I like the looks of my car just fine as it is (its a RS so it has ground effects) so im mostly looking for performance. What will the upgrades I mentioned get me to on hp and 1/4 et? and also if I got a different cam, or something like that, I will need to tune on the computer wont I? How can I do that? Can I do that with like a hypertech type tuner or what? I have lots of questions and will take any advice, criticism, whatever you have to throw at me. I had no idea there were so many resources for 3.8 camaros, I had never researched it because I planned on getting a v8
Thnx,
Lane
Old 08-24-2005, 12:57 AM

you'll want to start with an intake. The SLP intake is really the best deal. Make sure you get the one for the 3.8 that coms with the rubber elbow (aka the 1le elbow). Check www.thunderracing.com or ebay. Every once in a while you can find a deal on one there. The for sale forums at www.camarov6.com will be able to help you out a bit too. (Check out that site if you havn't) After you get the intake then i would start looking into exhaust. Go with a full catback from the beginning if youre looking to save some cash. (finish the exhaust up with a high flow cat and some pacesetter headers). Gears are also something youre really going to want to look at. With a m5 you might want to just stick with the 3.23's you probably have, but you can also think about upgrading to some 3.42's or even 3.73's.

check your rpo codes to see what gears you have (sticker inside your door). gu3 gu4 or gu5 308's 323's or 342's

for more code info (so you can get a little more info on your car as it is now) go here: http://tech.firebirdv6.com/generalspecs.html

After that maybe a nice set of wheels?

also check this out: http://mods.firebirdv6.com/

If you like the cam idea you could check out zzperformance.com. They have some nice cams for the 3.8. Search the advance tech forum at camarov6.com for more opinions/info on cams.

some links for you besides this wonderful forum

www.camarov6.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums
www.v6fbody.com/community

www.zzperformance.com
www.thunderracing.com
www.ammperformance.com
www.fasttoys.net
www.slponline.com
www.tbyrne.com
www.rksport.com

good luck and have fun!

Last edited by Loochy88; 08-24-2005 at 01:05 AM.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:06 PM

Go for the SLP intake, then grab pretty much any 3" catback exhaust (search the above forum links for sound clips to see what you like best).

Gears will be a great future mod for you. You should have 3.23s from the factory, 3.73's would probably be a great upgrade for you (unless you really want to go fast - then it's 4.10s all the way).

Abbott Racing Heads (http://www.abbottracingheads.com) sells head and cam packages that seem to give pretty good results (they also sell ported intakes).

Tuning will also be important. You have a choice between DHP Powertuner or HPTuners. I personally like HPtuners better, but several others prefer DHP. Check the forums and the company websites before you decide on something. Handheld tuners like the Hypertech are complete junk. They are only good for changing fan turn on/off points and adjusting for different size tires.

- Justin
Old 08-24-2005, 04:14 PM

thanks guys, but about the cat back thing. My car has (what appears to be) a z28 cat back system under it, so is a better one a must, or is that good for the time being, because cat backs are expensive and i like the sound alright as it is, so i figured i could concentrate on other things, but i have no clue.
Thnx,
Lane
Old 08-24-2005, 05:59 PM

does your exhaust have turndown tips, or z28 style tips. is it single outlet or dual?

also, what is the diameter of your current exhaust piping. youll want to determine all this before you get an aftermarket exhaust.

stock should be 2.25 inch diameter pipes with a single outlet turndown muffler, unless you have the y87 code. you would then have a dual outlet muffler.
Old 08-24-2005, 09:47 PM

the exhaust on my car looks like 3 inch(?) it could be a little smaller but its pretty big, and it does have dual z28 tips.
-Lane
Old 08-25-2005, 01:03 PM

Then it's probably a stock Z/28 cat back - they are 2.75"

If you want to put the money elsewhere at first, then go right ahead. That catback isn't optimal, but it's a big improvement.

- Justin
Old 08-25-2005, 01:28 PM

4.10 gears and a posi(lsd) if you don't already have one.
Old 08-26-2005, 11:56 AM

yeah, and make sure you know what that exhaust is. theres a big difference between 2.25 and 2.75.