V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

Trany will not engage?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 05:21 PM

Trany will not engage?????

Well it was the rear freeze plug so I have replced it and no more leak. However I am noticing alot of jerry rigging going on. I am sorting thru. Right now I have a couple things I am stumped on. I have put the car back together, now my trany doesn't want to engage. While I had it out I did a filter/fluid chnage on it. Everything other than baing strenous went fairly well. My idle has been sitting at 3grand????I have replced the IAC, that was bad. I need some guidence.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:44 PM

Was your idle high before the freeze plug replacement?
Old 02-25-2010, 06:51 PM

Nope it was fine. When I was reading the book told me the ECM has to relearn the idle pattern. We tested the IAC w/ohm meter, it was bad I installed the new one, the engine overall sounds better but still idles too high.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:59 PM

See the main problem is this is my second Camaro, my first one seems to have been better taken care of than this one, and then when I got it I replaced the items that needed it added things here and there, but I have no idea what these people did or were thinking when they started to work on the car
Old 02-25-2010, 07:44 PM

Check for a broken vacuum fitting or line by the back of the motor. You could have broken a nipple on the intake or a vacuum hose in back after removing and reinstalling the tranny.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:33 PM

I will look at that thank you. Now would this cause the tranny to not engage as well?
Old 02-25-2010, 10:45 PM

The 4L60E is not vaccume controlled at all. Either your shifter linkage isnt on right, its not completely full of fluid, or the electrical plug on the passenger side is off or not fully inserted. It is easy to break the tabs on the bottom of the plug and push it down into the trans so dont force it on too much or you'll have a nasty leak that is a pain in the *** to fix. Im assuming since you were able to pull the trans and fix the freeze plugs, you know the proper method of filling the automatic transmission, so I wont go into that. Just a few ideas of things to check for. Might also check fuses. Im not 100% certain but I do believe it should at least go into gear without the electronics, just not shift to another gear, etc. My money is on fluid or shifter linkage, slight possibility the front pump got broke...... Did you run into any problems getting the torque converter all the way in or getting the trans back onto the motor? Again Im assuming you know what your doing since you got it apart and back together, so dont take any advice the wrong way, but did you spin it and get it to lock back twice before bolting back together?
Old 02-26-2010, 05:02 PM

I will look at those tomorrow. Now the torque converter did keep slipping off and when we got the trans up not bolted just up, I did notice it being off, so we turned it til it was in place again. The book said it called for 7pts so that's what I added. It's just weird i can hear the linkage move atleast externally, it just doesn't do anything. I know my other Camaro sometimes would want a baby tap on the gas to engage, tried that nothing. See the auto trans is new to use we are manual people in fact at some point in time I will be converting it to that.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:59 AM

Might be burnt up already if it was too low and you tried to get it to engauge too much, or ran the car very long. Best way to check it is to fill it until its on the dipstick after it has time to all run down, then start it, check it in park while running, it has probably gone down again, fill again until its on the dipstick again, once you get it staying on the dipstick try going through all the gears one at a time, all the way down to 1 and back to park. Check it again, repeat until it stays steady on full in park, warmed up. If it doesnt try to catch or anything with it staying on the dipstick, its probably burned up. 4L60e's dont like to be low, at all. Even fully race built, they dont like to be low at all, for any amount of time.

Also, I havnt noticed where you said what year the car was, but if its a 95, I have a transmission for it. If your close or wanted to come after it, Id make a good deal on it and the engine. Still in the car, running. Parting the car.

Last edited by 95camaroinok; 02-27-2010 at 03:01 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:22 PM

My last one was a 95 this one is a 94, so pretty much the same thing. the trany is a manual? How much do you want for the pair? Do you have the clutch assembly also? I do not live close so I would have to ship
Old 02-28-2010, 02:31 PM

I have checked the fluid and it's full. Everything is connected. We are thinking it may be the torque coverter. It fell out we turned it, it felt like it went in, and then we bolted her up. Now it still won't engage. Is there a way to checking if the converter is connected to the pump without dropping the trany?
Old 03-01-2010, 04:13 AM

No, I have an auto, but its only a direct swap for 95, I think you have to change internal wire harness and one or two solenoids. I think the PWM solenoid. You'll just have to search in the drivetrain forum. Easy way to tell if the pump broke would be to loosen the transmission line, but not take it off and fire it up. If it starts pumpin or sprayin fluid everywhere thats a good sign. If nothing, then the pump broke or the spline broke at least. Either way, time for a rebuild or replacement.

Did you by any chance drop the transmission on the ground or anything while it was out? Possible that the filter fell off in the pan if it took any hard hits. If it fell off it wont pick up any fluid at all.