V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

Speakin' of EGR valves...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 08:26 PM

Speakin' of EGR valves...

Hey there,
First off, new to this forum so hello to everyone.
Before I start, I've got a '95 3.4L V-6 with automatic trans.
Now, I've seen all over the place that the EGR valve can cause some rough idling problems, which I have. I'd love to get the codes pulled, but it's stupid expensive on my car. Guess 95 is when they did the transition from OBDI to OBDII so mine's a hybrid system that can't be read by AutoZone or Advance.
Anyway, I've already changed plugs, wires, coil packs, fuel filter, and IAC. I'd like to pull and clean the EGR valve, but wanted to see if anyone warned against it first.
If it's a good idea, I was planning on shooting some carb/throttle body cleaner. While it's off, does anyone know if AutoZone or Advance or any of those guys can perform a check on it to see if it's defective?
Most of the time, I'd just replace it, but after last weekends mad parts fiesta, I'm kinda tight of budget right now (not just the above mentioned... I put in a water pump and flushed the system too. What fun! )

Well hey, thanks in advance for any replies!
Old 07-07-2005, 10:12 PM

Re: Speakin' of EGR valves...

I'v got a 94 3.4 v6 and the EGR can cause a rough idle but it sounds to me like you did a faily decent tune up but did you clean the throttle body or have a fule injector cleaning done on your car? But if you are dead set on cleaning the egr its just like 4 bolts and unplug it from the wiering harness and clean away.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:33 PM

I did spray the throttle body and the IAC port. Man talk about some nasty stuff!
I was told that since I do a lot of driving that the fuel acts as a solvent so I don't need to do the fuel injector cleaner. I put about 1200 miles a week on it. Would you recommend I start using? Or are you talking about professionally cleaned ie: remove and send 'em to the cleaners? In which case no, I've not done that. Was thinking about saving up for some new injectors though.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:46 PM

even if you are going to put new injectors in your fuel rail will still be dirty and kind of nasty on the inside. If you take it to a shop they will hook it up and clean out the fule injectors and rail in one step. There is some stuff that works faily decent call sea foam, do a search for it. It does work good but no where as good as if you take it to a professional that has a good fuel injector cleaner.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:29 AM

sea foam = god
Old 07-08-2005, 06:33 AM

I'll look into the sea foam. Where can I get it?
Old 07-08-2005, 07:01 AM

Ok, with minimal effort, I've answered my own question.
But, how do you use it in a 3.4? Do I have the same "Brake Booster" line that I've seen mentioned in the LT1 procedures?
Old 07-08-2005, 06:49 PM

almost all cars have a vacume line to the break bootser. Its the black rubber hose comming from the break booster canister. Its dircetly behind the master cylinder on the driver side. If you find the black hose I'm talking about you can folow it all the way back to the intake manifold some where. Here is the best info site I found on sea foam if you are interested in using the stuff. You can get the sutff from pretty much any auto parts store I know for a fact that oreliys sells the stuff not sure about autozone.

http://members.nuvox.net/~on.roz/cars/z28/seafoam.html

Good luck with everything and if you need any help just ask away.

Last edited by crasher88; 07-08-2005 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:41 PM

Thanks alot. I'm gonna have to put it off 'till payday so I can get some O2 sensors before I jack 'em up. I just got an EGR valve gasket, so tomorrow I'll pull it and clean it. While I'm under the hood, I'll scrounge around in there to see where the brake booster line is.