V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

Question re: '01 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 02:57 PM

Question re: '01 Camaro

Just bought my wife an '01 Camaro V6, M5 and have a question.

What kind of gains should she expect to see from a Whisper lid or any of the other lids that will fit the car?

Any recommendations for starting mods?

I assume intake, exhaust. But what comes after with the 3.8?
Old 06-24-2003, 06:09 PM

I recommend a search...
Old 06-25-2003, 09:40 AM

Gee, thanks.

I did go looking and didn't find much of anything for a list of mods for the 3.8, nor did I see anything about what kind of gains to expect with any of the mods.

But I did notice that "I recommend a search..." seems to be your standard answer...
Old 06-25-2003, 10:56 AM

LMAO , alright on a V8 you gain about 10 rwhp with CAI, and it all depends what cat back you get , but atleast 10 rwhp there also..dont really know about the 3.8.

And about the search, i dont blame you, i have searched before and spent hours rumaging thru posts to find absoltuely jack ****...so just ask!
Old 06-25-2003, 12:31 PM

Yes, I do say "Do a search" quite a bit because the same basic questions come up and they've been asked more than a handful of times. So yes, to simple questions that have been asked already, I do say "Do a search". You'll get a ton of results with the answers you seek.

But I guess I'll add to this. Taking care of the intake and exhaust will open up the car a bit (can't tell you exact numbers since nobody really knows). I'd suggest doing that first and then it all depends on what you want to do with the car: suspension mods for AutoX, appearance for show, juice/gears/headers if you are more serious.

It all depends. There...non-standard enough?
Old 06-25-2003, 04:48 PM

with a lid you will fell a better throttle response. i garuntee it. that was my first mod and i was like wow! it aint nothing to brag about, because her car will still be slow, but it will feel better. as for trying to get numbers off of mods - dont even bother. unless you throw some nitrous or a turbo or a charger on there, the car will always be slow.
if you where to ask me what a worthwhile mod is, i would say boxed subframe connectors. that is another mod that you can tell the difference while driving. i dont understand these kids when they say "i could feel the difference when put my exhaust on" i never felt anything with my exhaust untill i uncapped the cutout.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:09 PM

Re: Question re: '01 Camaro

Originally posted by LWillmann
... what kind of gains should she expect to see from a Whisper lid or any of the other lids that will fit the car?

Any recommendations for starting mods?

I assume intake, exhaust. But what comes after with the 3.8?...
Searches are no fun are they?

My wife has an '02 3800. She thought it was fast (enough), but of course, I thought it could use more power. So, I installed a Lid and the Fast Toys ram air kit. I definitely noticed a difference and it sounds a lot better. I'm hoping we picked up 10 to 15hp. I'm going to do SLP roller rockers one day- just for the fun of it.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:34 PM

Well, I could feel a difference when my exhaust was put on. I ended up with a loss of low end power and torque. Upper RPM performance REALLY picked up thought.

The same for uncapping the cutout. Less low end, more upper RPM performance.

OH, did some diggin on her car today, it's got a Whisper lid and a cold air kit (not ram air though). I'm thinking I'll get the ram air extension from Fast Toys, and open up the exhaust.