V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

noob questions (v6 to turbo/twin turbo)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 11:07 PM

noob questions (v6 to turbo/twin turbo)

i will be getting a 95 3.4l SFI camaro next spring...i wish it was a v8..but im getting it practically free..it has 170k kms, and no rust at all, never winter driven (my dads)...

putting a v8 in is not an option because it is very time consuming and insurance prices...etc

first off to get dual flowmaster exhaust or something is the first on the todo list

then im looking at getting a turbo charger or twin turbo..i have no idea how that would be on a v6..im guessing it would push it to near 300 hp...

i have no idea what needs to be done..im assuming ill need a rear end, clutch and maybe a transmission

but i think the clutch might be ok because we recently got a new one..and i dont think its stage 2

anyways any help is appreciated, thanks...im not looking for specifics right now..just what i will definatly need to get..and how much it would cost (not including the turbos)
Old 09-18-2004, 08:09 AM

Re: noob questions (v6 to turbo/twin turbo)

Check out my car domain site in the sig, it is for a twin turbo 3.4L
Old 09-18-2004, 10:27 AM

Not to bash you or your thread or anything but you could just go ahead and engine swap with an LS1. Insurance companies that I know of determine your car and premium by your VIN #. Your VIN, unless you for somereason change it, will always say it's a 3.4 V6 and not a 5.7 V8. Meaning you'll be running a LS1 under the hood for the same insurance price as a 3.4 V6. That will put you at around 300 HP STOCK... Imagine twin turbo'ing THAT!
Old 09-18-2004, 02:55 PM

what would be cheaper...doing that or getting an ls1 + all parts u need

im only looking for essentials...and the car is under my dads name (im 2ndary driver right now)

if i became primary im pretty sure they wouldnt ask to inpsect the car or anything
Old 09-18-2004, 07:37 PM

You would need a wrecked LS1 car to pull stuff off from.
Swaping to a LS1 from a 3.4 and not telling your insurance is farud. Call and ask them what would hapen if you crashed you car and see if they would pay for the dammage it caused.
Insurance companys are @$$ holes and would love not to pay you if they can get the chance.
Do you have a lot of time and money?
It all depends on how much you can get a wrecked LS1 car for, thats most of the cost there.
Junk yards like them becasue they can make a lot of money from selling off the parts.
To get a LS1 in that car will cost most of the money at once (when you buy the LS1 car). It will be down for a while because you will have to pull the engine out then figure out how to get the LS1 in the car, then you get to wire all the sensors and ECU in.
Then after the engine and wiring is up you get to put in the trans and hook up the T56 clutch, and T56 speedo sender won't work with the speedo in the dash. eathe spend $300 for an adaptor or pull the dash apart and stick the LS1 cars speedo in there.
A turbo 3.4 won't make as much power as a turbo LS1 but it will be less work to get the turbos on the 3.4L. You won't have to take your car apart and put it back together then rewire it.
I don't think there is a chance it will be down longer than if you tried to put a LS1 in there.
The cost is all up to where you get the turbo stuff from.

Last edited by oil pan 4; 09-18-2004 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:36 PM

your going to be looking at 3-4K in engine and tranny for an LS1, plus install.
www.forcefedfab.com for 3K the turbo kit.
Old 09-20-2004, 04:06 PM

170 km ===miles?
Old 09-20-2004, 09:49 PM

For my TT the cost was going to be about $1400 it was very basic then, but now I added some more stuff
and am now up to about $1800.
When it was $1400 it included stuff like the turbos, IC's, BOV, new cam, porting bits for the heads and intake, Ti retainers, valve springs+locks , fuel injectors, Zexel-torsen LSD, ajustable FPR, aero motive fuel filter and more.
I added stuff like the one KO3S that I have, roller rockers, long porting bits so I can port the turbine housing to make it $1900.
There are a few things in there I won't end up useing. I had 2 all most KO3's I have added 1 KO3S to my collection and am looking for a second.
I was going to use the regular K03 turbos then up grade them to KO3S turbos, after I beat them to death.
If you do it your self you can do it for a lot cheaper than $3000. If I spent $3000 on my kit it would waste any pre made kit of the same cost.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by deadmeat2004
170 km ===miles?
no..170 000 kilometers..never winterdriven and my dad's owned it since it was like 15 months old...

no rust anywhere except a little on the chassi..but thats just on the surface..

ok..i dont want this to be a long term project

the ls1 sounds a little too expensive..and time consuming and many parts..the twin turbo sounds better...and cheaper, but ill prob need a rear end and a tranny too...what types of 5 or 6 speeds (common to find) will bolt up on the 3.4

and i'd do it myself..i know enough about cars to do some work..plus i got friends and other people i know who could do it blindfolded

so besides the TT...exactly what parts will i need?

and how long could i expect this to take say if i worked about 10 hours a week on it
Old 09-21-2004, 10:10 PM

Well your all most stuck with the stock transmission unless you can find some way to retto fit a Richmond Over Drive trans or some thing on there.
I'm guessing it woudl take about 10 hours (for TT's)to take the car apart some so you can get in there, then get the exhaust piping made and in there, and a nother 10 to get the intake pipeing made and on along with every thing else back together.
170000km = 107100miles
Old 09-22-2004, 01:57 PM

how much would it cost to get a richmond overdrive tranny put on it at like a shop?

and how hard is it to put a v8 rear end on it..im guessing its not that hard
Old 09-23-2004, 07:33 AM

The richmond over drive is for a V8-I6 bell housing.
It would not be cheap to fit a V8 trans on a V6 bell housing, I think they would have to cut apart the transmission part of the bell housing and remake it to fit the V8 unit.
Then they would have do some thing to make the V6 fly wheel put torque on the transes input shaft, I'm not sure how they would do it.
I think they would have to remachine the input shaft so that it would fit a V6 clutch plate, and hope the rest of the clutch assy fits where it needs to.
A machine shop would have to do this. And they will take your money.
The V6 and V8 cars of the year of your car was made all have the same lame 8.625'' GM 10-bolt rear end, there is a lot of gears, LSD and posi units for them at good prices.
For the turbo v6 I am useing the stock 10-bolt rear end and gears but with GM production 1989 & up axels from a camaro and a Zexel-torsen limited slip differential, new they are $400+, but from SLP they have like 5 miles on them and thay are $110 with shiping.
For my Z28 I am putting on a beafed up rear off a 1989 & up camaro with axles from supieor axels, a Eaton posi I got from ebay, 3.73 richmond gears, new bearings+seals all around, and a summit cast diff cover with suport studs.
While I was home this last july I got to see my Eaton and Zexel-torsen and they are both big and about the same size. They both weigh like 20lb's.