V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

misfire...again

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 10:13 AM

misfire...again

i had some trouble with random misfire and it was missing on cyls 1-3 a couple weeks ago. finally got it fixed this last tuesday. they first told me to run some injector cleaner through the gas tank, but that did nothing. so i took it back and they actually cleaned the injectors through a more direct way. now i haven't got an SES light since then, but after i got home last night from work i could hear a little "poof" every 7 or 8 seconds or so coming from the exhaust. i filled back up on thursday and put about 175 miles on a half tank. my last tank still had a couple gallons left and probably a bit of injector cleaner in it yet too. could this just be a bit of that cleaner working through the system, or is it another misfire? i'm going to refill before i leave for work now again. one sure way to tell it was misfiring was the mileage, about 100 miles for a half tank.

as a note:

'98
new plugs, wires, and fuel filter
Old 12-04-2005, 07:13 PM

Re: misfire...again

what do you know...1 minute after i fill up the SES light comes on. i'm guessing it's either the mass air flow sensor or the spark plug boots. or maybe the injectors need to actually be replaced. what a nightmare. two weeks after i bought this POS and i'm having these problems. i'm calling the dealership tomorrow morning and give them three options. A-fix my car, and fix it till it's FIXED. B-give me my money back and take the pile. C-give me another car of equal value. highly doubt it'll work but who knows.

and err just a question. 87 octane is the right fuel, no?
Old 12-06-2005, 01:08 PM

Re: misfire...again

87 is fine. It can be a tonns of things contributing to misfire. Most frequently it's ignition issues: plugs/wires/coils/icm. Wires and boots getting heat damaged, plugs getting fouled, moisture getting to ICM through bad seals under coils, faulty coils. Let them fix it, and since they already failed to do it, raise some hell, demand a loaner car while they are figuring out what's wrong with your car.