V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

Losing Power...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 10:52 PM

Losing Power...

My car is starting to run alittle different. First it's not always starting on first try like it used to and sometimes it takes a bit of a delay before it finally cranks up. Then at highway speeds in 4th gear my engine will slightly rev for no reason like it wants to downshift but doesn.t and when I'm going uphill I have to put my foot into it before it WILL downshift. It's still fast but it's taking foot effort to pass and keep up with people. Also at intersections when I make a right turn, it stays in second gear and won't go back to first unless I put some heavy foot in it and by then I'm back in second anyway. This means I just pulled out infront of traffic with minimal accelleration. No hesitation or rough riding. It just seems like out of nowere alot of my power disapeared. It sounds a bit rasp to when I give it gas before it finally kicks in.... Even the mid-accelleration seems alittle slower than it used to be. I still get alittle over 300 miles to a tank with 87 Octane.

I got an SES light not to long ago about "Manufacture Control Module / Transmission" which is code P1870 . This isn't the first time I got this either, but the SES light disapeared BOTH times when I was nearly out of fuel so I thought maybee it was the gas... Well a week later right before I was about to get on the Freeway, car started humming and shifting REALLY rough, fortunately being in the middle of nowere I was, there was a walmart. I stopped and popped the hood, lo and behold I'm clean out of Transmission Fluid when I just topped it off with two quarts a month ago!!! I have NO puddles in my garage. When I refilled the fluid it ran like it should and shifted smoothly again.

My car has 95K miles and is a 1998 (3.8), Last tune up was alittle over a month ago which all the wires, plugs, and coil packs were changed, had the oil changed a few weeks ago aswell.

Any ideas from anyone?
Old 06-07-2004, 07:04 AM

You may want to replace the filter on the transmission and get it flushed. Add a bottle of Lucas transmission additive when you do it, and pray. Has the tranny fluid ever been replaced? If not, that is probably a big contributor to your problem. I would also start saving you replace the transmission in case it should decide to puke on you, as they don't appreciate running on empty.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:21 PM

If I went to have the transmission fluid flushed and changed, will they put in a new filter aswell or do I have to buy one? what are the best fluids / filters to use? and also do I add Lucas Transmission additive BEFORE or AFTER my transmission fluid change?
Old 06-07-2004, 01:46 PM

I hope I do not seem to be talking down to you, as I want you to understand; so please do not take offense to the following if you already know this.

An automatic transmission uses bands, and these bands have friction to spin. As the transmission and fluid ages, the friction needed to continue spinning without slipping increases. Fluid that is not replaced as it should becomes very dirty and contaminated. This increases the friction it creates. This wears the bands more rapidly. If this goes on for too long, the bands will get to the point where any less friction from the fluid will be insufficent. At this point, if the fluid is replaced with fresh, low friction new fluid, the bands will no longer be able to function without slipping. As such, the bands will slip, and create heat. Several things can go wrong at this point, but the result is the same: 1 broken transmission.

If the fluid has been serviced in the car, you are in better shape. If you had to add a half gallon of fluid, obviously there has been new fluid introduced to the system, and friction related failure (if it is going to occur) is going to occur regardless of your approach to the situation. As such, it is wise to go ahead and do the "proper" maintainance to the transmission.

To answer your last post: If you have a complete transmission service done, the shop should do fluid, filter, and gasket completely. Aamco has a $100 special on the TV right now, so maybe they are a good place to go. Just ask the shop and make sure that they do it.

Lucas is an additive that I have seen nothing but good results with. And I speak from the experience of not only myself, but many, many people from several different forums and car groups. It is available at most auto parts stores. It works well to prevent damage, and prevent further damage to a transmission that is not dead yet. You can add one bottle of Lucas to the transmission when you get it back from the shop that flushes it for you.

At this point I suspect that the gasket is leaking, but be sure to find where the fluid is leaving at, or you will be wasting money on servicing the transmission.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:24 PM

"If you had to add a half gallon of fluid, obviously there has been new fluid introduced to the system, and friction related failure (if it is going to occur) is going to occur regardless of your approach to the situation."

Just curious, but how would I be sure if the transmission fluid is new or not? I don't of course recall placing it since I got the car when it had 87K on the clock... it has 95K now...

If you have a complete transmission service done, the shop should do fluid, filter, and gasket completely. Aamco has a $100 special on the TV right now, so maybe they are a good place to go. Just ask the shop and make sure that they do it.

I'll have Aamco do it then. Should I buy Lucas and have them top the fluid off with it? or is it okay if I add Lucas while the transmission fluid is 5 Quarts full? I'm praying I'll beable to service it and soon...

After more driving here's what it seems like..

First Startup of the day - Drives fine and shifts smoothe.

After driving for about an hour - Rough Shifting begins to return and stays even at cooler temperatures. It ONLY shifts rough from 1st gear to 2nd gear. which means I feel it EVERYTIME I come from a deadstop. WILL-NOT DOWNSHIFT TO 1ST UNLESS HEAVY-FOOT-APPLIED!!! (Smoothe shift though) Runs like that till turn off.

Sit still with engine off for about 15 minutes - Rough Shifting disapears after startup and never returns?!?... Smoothe Ride through all gears.

This is the way it has happened EVERYDAY so far...Sometimes it took longer than 15 minutes before rough shifting vanished.

Does anyone have any idea as to what code P1870 (Manufacture Control / Transmission) is? I had that on an SES light that just vanished not to long ago...

My temperature gauge never really leaves the Quarter mark unless I'm stopped for a long time... then it will reach half but no more... My first guess was maybee the transmission was hot, but this happened at regular operation temperatures and disapeared at regular operation temperatures.
Old 06-09-2004, 07:05 AM

unfortunately transmission fluid is not like oil; you can't really see it have a major color change or consistancy when it is old. Like I said, though, this is not something to worry about now. You have put new fluid in and that's all that matters.

For the Lucas, you can just add it after they give you the car back. It's not a major deal.

I wouldn't suggest driving it in this condition. It certainly can not make anything better. However, it sounds like the problems occur once the transmission has heated. I would check the transmission cooler and see if there is anything wrong there. Perhaps that is where the fluid is going. And just because, double check your coolant/radiator.

And unfortunately I can not help you with your code. A quick search on www.obdii.com leads me to believe that it refers to a "transmission component slipping" which seems accurate. It sounds like your 1-2 is slipping. I would throw the Lucas in the transmission NOW if you are going to continue driving the car before repair.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:49 AM

the tranny fluid will smell a bit burnt after it gets old and goes more from red to brown

i would get the service done first and then see how it is