V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

How much would headers and a high flow cat give me????

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 12:40 AM

How much would headers and a high flow cat give me????

How much more power (by power i mean anything that makes it perform better) would headers and a hi-flow cat give me??? I already have flowmaster exaust ill just hook that up to my new headers.

Here is the link to the headers im thinking to buy. They come with a y pipe too.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

If it doesnt work just copy and paste it into the address bar.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:07 AM

Re: How much would headers and a high flow cat give me????

I'd guess between 10 and 15hp. I'd explore other mods first. Assuming you install this stuff yourself it would still be a good $400 for that setup you linked and a high flow cat. Plus if it relocates the cats and doesn't have a C.A.R.B. number you will fail the visual part of a smog inspection (if your state has smog tests).

If you do decide to get those headers go with the ceramic coat, it says at the bottom that they offer black painted or ceramic coated. The ceramic coated ones retain the heat better = better exhaust flow.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:04 PM

My friend at work has a v6 BMW and he got a chip for it. Then he got headers and the headers made it way faster. So headers should help me too. I think ill just forget about tuning my PCM, Its a pain in the ***. It dont help that much does it?
Old 08-11-2006, 04:24 PM

IT depends on the car, weather certain mods will help or not.

since you have a 97, headers will help, a cheaper alternative but still pretty good are tubular manifolds off of a 99+ v6 camaro. Just a warning its a HUGE pain in the *** job to install.

As for the CAT, a highflow will help a little but not insane amounts. And if you do get one, you will need to consider a O2 simm. because the post cat sensor will trip a code with most high flow cats.

But I believe you were the one looking into tuning and you can get it tuned out with tuning as well.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:19 PM

On my 98 Camaro, headers alone (still with the stock cat) made a fairly noticeable difference, on the highway especially.

Like MustangEater said, a high flow cat won't necessarily make a huge difference, but it is a nice compliment mod for a new set of headers.

Another thing to mention, ceramic coated headers don't flow better than non coated ones. It's about keeping underhood temperatures down, which, IMO, should always be a consideration.
Old 08-12-2006, 03:35 AM

Not saying the ceramic coating doubles gains or anything but I think they offer a slight performance benefit in addition to keeping underhood temperatures down. My friend is a car freak and explained it to me but it sounds ghey if I just say "my friend says they do"...

LS1 Hooker headers description, can be seen on thunderracing.com
...acts as an insulator resulting in higher exhaust temperatures within the system to increase performance while lowering the under-hood temperatures
LS1 SLP headers description can be seen on Tbyrne.com
ceramic thermal barrier coating keeps heat in, exhaust velocity up, and underhood temperature down.
Old 08-12-2006, 04:31 AM

It will help, most modern cars if you can reduce underhood temps I say go for it(stuff is getting pretty crammed in cars these days)

I am a cheapskate, I honestly would look into just converting to 99+ exhaust manifolds. You can get them cheap, and they are a gain.

But if you are looking for the top of the line increase in performance, or have big plans in the future get headers.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:23 PM

as far as i understand, keeping the exhaust heat INSIDE the headers increases velocity and helps the exhaust get out the back more efficiently. plus, most coated headers are coated inside and out, i think the lower underhood temps are just an added perk, the coating definitely cuts WAY down on the temps, i have coated headers on my 94 and its not bad when you open the hood, my friend has cheap *** non coated headers on his el camino (WAAAAAY more room and airflow) and you about pass out from the heat coming out under his hood. just my $.02