V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

heater core question

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 08:31 AM

heater core question

I have done the research and read the threads regarding the heater core. I need to replace the one in my daughter's '97 Camaro RS (3.8L) and hope to do so this week.

The heater core is passing very little through. We tried to flush and back flush it this weekend but didn't meet with success. I'm guessing it is just too stopped up. We also used Prestone Super Flush to try and clean the system.

Question 1 - anyone know a sure-fire better cleaner to get the gunk loosened? It is the brown crud we all know and love. I've read about white vinegar and CLR. How do these do, any better?

Question 2 - What is the effect on the cooling system when the heater core isn't flowing thus the water sent to it doesn't go through and return to the water pump?
Old 12-02-2007, 09:41 AM

question two is simple. it does not effect it at all. only thing it would effect is no heat inside the car. Only thing is might do is cause a little preassure on the waterpump, but i doubt it would be enough to do anything at all.

White vinegar and CLR cleans just about anything out of anything for buildups... might take a while though. not sure how happy those things are with aluminum and such though....
Old 12-03-2007, 07:04 AM

Answer 1: It's an 11-year old crustied up heater core. Just replace it. I don't get everyone's obsession with backflushing something that old. You will NEVER get the water/cleaner pressure necessary into those little itty bitty tubes to get that stuff loosened. If you did, you'd have a grenade going off in the dash. It's not a horrendous replacement.

Answer 2: There should be a bypass coming off the water pump or from the t-stat back to the water pump. Like deadheading a water pump is a good thing.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:47 PM

Dude lighten up, you're writing as if I'm arguing with you...I'm not in fact I haven't even replied.

The heater core isn't that hard to replace and it isn't that expensive, I know. Part of my question is a frustration of buying products at the auto parts store and they do no good. It seems like something could safely make the stuff able to be flushed. The other point is that if the crud is in the heater core it is everywhere else. If there isn't a product that will clean the stuff out than the only solution would be to have the block hot tanked.

Plans are to replace the heater core and later the radiator. I know the radiator can be rodded but the price is low enough for a new one that it probably isn't worth the cost or time to have it rodded.

We took the car to the most reputable radiator company in town and they didn't want to do the job..another reason I'm trying to find a DIY way to get it cleaned out.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:04 PM

Hey, Im having the same problem with my core. Did you end up buying a new one? I havent tried Prestone super flush. Im trying that this weekend. If that doesnt work then, I guess I will have to shell out the 55 bucks.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:24 AM

Like other gurus befoe me I will now say, save your money on the flush chemicals and put it into a new core.

I found none of the flushes did much if anything and that the core replacement isn't too bad a job.

Good luck!
Old 01-07-2008, 08:22 AM

I know, I know. youre right. I drained my heater core and then blew out all the water I could by putting an air hose in one hose and blowing the water out of the other. Then I took afunnel and poured the Super Flush directly in the core and let it sit like that for 3 hours. Then I drove it around all weekend and my heat is ALOT hotter. I'm going to drain it tonight. However, it was 70 degrees this weekend, so Im thinking when it cools back off to 20 degrees the heat wont be as hot as I think it is. LOL I agree with you guys get a new core and be done with it.