V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

Coolant Flush...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 03:04 PM

Re: Coolant Flush...

Knock sensors are on each side of the block near the front ish. just look under teh car and you will see them. i do not know for sure if they thread into the water jacket on the 3.8's or not. most cars they do tho. there are usualy some kind of block plug that you can remove to rain the block. either that or remove the thermo, put it back together without it and remove teh heater hoses at the heater core and use a garden hose and just keep working through there. it;s a long procces to matter how you do it.

you can get distilled water at a gerocery store.

ad for the dex-cool. do you know what reacts with the dex cool the most? 2 things. minerals and electricity. there are countless minerals, chemicals and substences in water. minerals in a coolant system can biuld up. Thats when you run into issues with the dex cool turning into a chunky mess. distilled water is void of minerals and other objects. the other is electricity. water is conductive, so are the minerals in the water. distilled water is chemicly nutral and will very much aid in not alowing the system to be as conductive. electrolosis will not only ruin the coolant but will attack the radiator, heater core, water jackets etc etc etc. if you test the system (anyone with a multimeter can do this) stick the negitive prob on the neg batery post and take the red lead and dunk it in the radiator. you will see voltage. yes actual voltage. now. there is a range that you need to be in. achording to a study anything grater then 0.0516 volts will turn your 5 year coolant into a 4 year coolant, or 3 year, or 2 year or 1 year depending on the amount of voltage in the system. you could burn holes in the radiator and heater core very easy. I have seen bad grounds cause voltage spikes in the coolant well over a volt. not good. This is why GM itself issues many staments about using distilled water

sorry for the spelling. I'm home sick and I do not feel like spell checking
Old 08-12-2004, 09:15 AM

Most cooling system cleaners I have seen say to drain the coolant and refill it with water and add the cleaner.
I did my z28's cooling system last night and I un hooked the heater return line and kept pouring water in there till it ran clear with the engine running. then a thunder storm came and I'll finish it today.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:58 PM

I still can't find the Thermo.