V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

Comparison of Cat-Back Exhaust Systems

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2003, 03:22 PM

Comparison of Cat-Back Exhaust Systems

I'm going to be getting the SLP CAI in the next couple of days for my ccar (96 3.8), and after I have that installed I'll be looking to replace the exhuast system. My mechanic said that running a single 3" pipe back to the muffler and then splitting it would be just about as good performance wise as running true dual exhaust with two cats. Is this true?

Assuming it is, if I just get a cat-back system for now and don't replace anything else (headers and cat to come in the future), what are some of my options? I know I've had trouble finding headers for the 6 cylinder, aside from RKSport's headers which I've heard bad things about.. So what is good as far as exhaust systems go for my V6? So far the different ones I've seen are Borla, Magnaflow, SLP Loudmouth (can't seem to find it for a V6..), and Flowmaster... Are there any other options and do these companies all make systems that will fit a 96 V6 without too much trouble?

Thanks for the help.. And as far as the different factors that will affect my decision.. Performance and sound are both important (looking for that deep rumble), but money is also a factor.. I know Borla's system seems to run around 600 - how much better is this than a system for 300?

Thanks again, I've managed to get myself pretty confused about this from reading other threads lol...
Old 05-20-2003, 03:25 PM

One more question...

Just thought of this question after I posted... About how much hp and torque increase can I expect from the SLP CAI and an exhaust system combined? I know the K&N FIPK advertises 26 hp, and the SLP CAI is supposed to be about the same.. But I'm guessing those numbers are inflated and I can expect 10-15hp at most... What will the exhaust add? My guess would be about 10 for a total of 20-25... Am I close?
Old 05-20-2003, 03:41 PM

You are going to get mixed responses on this one. I have the Borla Cat-back and I love it. Sounds pretty mean, especially and lower rpm's. I opted for it because of its great build quality and I love the damn tips. Yeah, I paid a bit more, but I think it was worth it. It is adjustable to so that is a plus. It all depends on what you wanna spend in the end.

-Adam
Old 05-20-2003, 04:34 PM

Yup, Borla is going to be your best bang for the buck. I used to have for like a month but I travel a lot and it was too loud for me even with closed plate. I sold it like a month later and got a dynomax setup. Sounds good and is not loud at all. They have an American Thunder System from Flowmaster and there are mixed reactions from it. They have clips on the website.
Old 05-20-2003, 06:15 PM

I hardly call Borla the "best bang for buck" considering it is one of the most expensive systems out there for our cars.

I know, I have one.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:39 PM

THe best bang for the buck cat back is the loudmouth...nothing beats it flow wise...and its pretty cheap. The guy who told you about the 3 inch pipes is correct. There is no loudmouth for a v6, however if you have 3 inch pipes i am sure it would easily fit. If you decide not to purchas the 3inch pipe, then just have a muffler shop fab something up for you so the loudmouth fits properly.
Old 05-20-2003, 10:21 PM

So it seems Borla is definately #1, the SLP Loudmouth seems to be second.. Then as far as bang for the buck, the Flowmaster American Thunder would be an option.. It also seems like Borla is gonna cost 600-700, the Loudmouth would be around 350 plus an installation kit that's a little under 100 to make it fit the V6.. The American Thunder is gonna run about 250-30..

All that about right?

As far as the Loudmouth goes.. According to the site I'm looking at (T Byrne), it starts after y-pipe and runs from there on back.. Since I have a 3.8 and not a 5.7, I would need to shut off one side of the y-pipe right? therefore running only one pipe back to the muffler and splitting there.. That would be the main (or only?) change to be made to make it fit under a V6? Also, if it runs from just after the y-pipe, would it include a catalytic converter? Because that comes after the y-pipe right? I want to make sure it will pass emissions when that comes up for me..

That's all the questions I can come up with for right now.. I'm really new to all this having just gotten my car a few months ago, so I'm trying to soak it all up as quickly as possible. My biggest fear is getting an exhaust system put on and then hearing that ricer type sound, like a beehive...

Thanks so much for the help, I really appreciate it.
Old 05-20-2003, 10:55 PM

Number 1, the Y Pipe goes from the headers and singles into one pipe that goes to the cat. Hence Y Pipe

Number 2, The loudmouth starts after your cat.
Old 05-21-2003, 01:14 AM

Pasesetter came out with coated headers for 3.8s for $250 plus $10 shipping from JCWhitney. All catbacks will give you the same gain. I like my Dynomax catback.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:31 AM
Eternal Member

The Loudmouth that can be used on our cars is the same one used for the LS1.

The only difference is an install kit for the single cat (just like your V6) LT1 model F-Body.

I'd say the best bang for the buck is the Loudmouth (stainless) and Edelbrock (not stainless, but may have changed since I was shopping).

Everyone and their grandmother does Flowmaster, and the only problems I foresee with Flowmaster is that they RUST like clockwork. That, and I personally don't care for the sound much - but that's just me.

Dynomax seems to flow really well and has a quiet aggressive sound. If I were looking for a quiet, cheap, high-flowing aftermarket exhaust - this would be the one.

For more expensive you can get Borla (mine almost fell off the car @500 miles - so I DESPISE Borla catbacks), B&B - good sound, great tips, GMMG - great sound (LOUD, but good tone) and nice tips, SLP Dual-Dual/2OTL - nice sound - crap $2 tips, etc...

Keep in mind, you can make ANY LS1 and single cat LT1 exhaust fit with an extra fabbed 18" section of 3" piping...you can honestly use anything from Random Tech to Corsa, to Loudmouths and so on...

...if I'd have had that kind of money, the GMMG exhaust and LT1 single cat installation kit would've been mine. However, I ended up with the Loudmouth, and couldn't be happier.

You can also do a search on exhaust opinions. There are a TON of threads dealing with this.

Dyno? I'll go out on a limb and say ~15RWHP CAI and free-flowing exhaust (not Flowmaster...their newer catbacks seem to be highly restrictive for some reason, search LS1 Tech for this).

Good luck!
Old 05-21-2003, 11:32 AM
Eternal Member

Originally posted by V6Power
Pasesetter came out with coated headers for 3.8s for $250 plus $10 shipping from JCWhitney. All catbacks will give you the same gain. I like my Dynomax catback.
Have they actually RELEASED them finally, or is this another "we put it in our catalog, but they're 6 weeks from production" thing?

Old 05-21-2003, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by Rich97 W68

Keep in mind, you can make ANY LS1 and single cat LT1 exhaust fit with an extra fabbed 18" section of 3" piping...you can honestly use anything from Random Tech to Corsa, to Loudmouths and so on...
Thanks, I have a better understanding now.. Pretty much any mechanic or exhaust shop would know what to do with the extra piping right? If I were to buy a system and take it there...

I'm probably gonna end up getting the Loudmouth, but I'm still considering the Borla.. Either one should give me the sound I want (Deep, agressive, relatively loud)..

If I don't replace the headers and cat now, but only do the exhaust system, is it gonna hold everything back too much? I'm not sure when I'll get around to those, depends if I can find decent summer work... But at least now I have a better idea.

Oh, and thanks camaroguy22.. I was confusing myslef with the y-pipe.. Now that I think about it, what I was thinking of wasn't too bright.. Thanks to everyone who has helped me, appreciate it..
Old 05-21-2003, 02:48 PM

I ordered the Pacesetters...I've been told I should receive them within a couple weeks.

As for Borla...like I said, I wouldn't spend $600 on it...I wouldn't spend $600 on ANY exhaust though. It has a distinctive sound...my buddies all say it has an exotic sound. I guess they just mean it sounds different from regular Flowmaster.
Old 05-21-2003, 03:11 PM

B&B does sound good, but even that has the infamous raspy crappy sound above 4500Rpms (at least with stock intake and manifold...just received the lid today...).

I think Borla is stainless, like B&B, which is one reason for the high price. I think it would be worth if it is going to be your last exhaust change (though you could always sell it). I don't like the looks of my blazer's exhaust; the only thing that has rust and looks crappy is the exhaust on it , at least I won't have to worry about the Camaro
Old 05-21-2003, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by Rich97 W68
Have they actually RELEASED them finally, or is this another "we put it in our catalog, but they're 6 weeks from production" thing?

There are some people who already installed them.

Quick Reply: Comparison of Cat-Back Exhaust Systems