V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

best sounding & lookin exhaust for 3.8

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2002, 12:15 AM

Mr. Omega9. Now YOU, kind of pissed me off here...I am going to copy paste here:

1. 1fastv6's sig: if its just a six to you, then i dare you to race me!
2. I did never offered to race 1vastv6

LISTEN, BOY, GET OFF THE CRACK!!!! I am not pissed to the point where I will use "your kind of language" on the public message board. So, check yourself, before your wreck yourself.

I am done.
Old 12-07-2002, 10:16 AM

Originally posted by Maxik
Mr. Omega9. Now YOU, kind of pissed me off here...I am going to copy paste here:

1. 1fastv6's sig: if its just a six to you, then i dare you to race me!
2. I did never offered to race 1vastv6

LISTEN, BOY, GET OFF THE CRACK!!!! I am not pissed to the point where I will use "your kind of language" on the public message board. So, check yourself, before your wreck yourself.

I am done.
1. Why did you just post his sig? That makes no sense whatsoever.

2. Learn correct English grammer if you're going to speak our language. (ie. 2. I did never offered to race 1vastv6) lol

Ok. I'm willing to drop this as well, just watch what you say before you decide to post next time. Don't post something that you wouldn't say to someone in person.
Old 12-07-2002, 12:47 PM

hey guys, in this thread if your gonna argue, argue about exhaust! i still dont know what to go with.
Old 12-07-2002, 02:43 PM

Clear, your catbacks around the $300 range is: Dynomax, Flowmaster and Edelbrock. Borla, B&B are expensive and is a waste of money for a V6 IMO.

Flowmaster: I used to have one. Deep V8 tone down low, but rices up pretty bad up high.

Dynomax: Not as deep down low like the flows, but don't rice up as bad up high as the flows neither. I highflow cat will give the dynomax a deeper idle.

Edelbrock: I've only heard a soundclip of one and it sound damn good.
Old 12-07-2002, 04:17 PM

does anyone have sound clips of ss takeoff and edelbrock?
Old 12-07-2002, 11:47 PM

My opinion:

#1: Go find the cheapest freakin muffler you can find that has dual tips. I'm talkin like an RS muffler, the Y87 (same thing, isn't it?), a Z28 one, whatever you can get for dirt cheap. Then buy some nice tips for it. There's the looks part covered.

#2: Get a FlowTech cutout and 2.5" pipes (the 2.5 pipes aren't a necessity, but will make it a little deeper). I have a cutout, and it's the best sounding exhaust I've ever heard on a V6, and my friends say the same. Yes, it's loud as hell. Not overly loud though. I've had the cutout for half a year and I'm still not tired of the sound - and since it's the most free-flowing exhaust you can get, the performance increase was nice too. Anyone who's not completely familiar and knowledgable about f-bodies will mistake it for a V8, guaranteed. It's nice and deep at low RPM's, and when you stomp it, it'll scream like no other.

SS take-off ain't bad for the price you can get it at, but it can get a bit ricey. Friend of mine put it on her V6 bird, and it's really quiet, and at higher RPM's gets ricey. But if you went with the cutout as well, it's a fine choice, and the muffler doesn't matter anyways since most of the sound will flow from the cutout.

Last edited by GrdLockV6; 12-07-2002 at 11:52 PM.
Old 12-08-2002, 04:57 AM

its as simple as this- you spend little money it sounds like azz. you spend a lot of money it sounds like azz still. you spend a lot of money it will sound good. no one thing will make our camaros sound good. if you are not willing to dish out some cash then forget about it. i first put on a dynomax with dual outlet. i dont care what people say- whatever. you still couldnt hear my car as i did my 15 seconds down the track. then i got a cutout.
Anyone who's not completely familiar and knowledgable about f-bodies will mistake it for a V8, guaranteed. It's nice and deep at low RPM's, and when you stomp it, it'll scream like no other.
this is true, but to anyone who knows cars, it sounds like azz (a fake V8), loudest fart knocker you have ever heard, annoyingly loud on the freeway, and did i say it sounds like azz, to peopl who know. a guy in a parking lot told me once, "your car sounds like ****" and then i knew it was time to cap it. then i tried a straight pipe instead of cat. whatever! then a gutted cat- whatever. they still sound week when you romp on it. it doesnt matter what you get to start off with its still going to have that V6 sound. its going to take alot to get rid of that.
Old 12-08-2002, 10:49 AM

Thats the reason I'll never change my exhaust set up. Can't stand the sound of a aftermarket exhaust on a v6. I'm patient enough to wait until I get a v8.
Old 12-08-2002, 01:06 PM

i am not syaing it wont ever sound nice. i think mine sounds pretty darn good, but then you have to look what has been done to it! not cheap at all! http://members.cardomain.com/1fastv6
Old 12-08-2002, 02:44 PM

Yeah, personally I don't think you can ever get rid of the "V6" sound, no matter what you do. You gotta V6, you'll just hafta deal with it. Personally I've never had any bad comments about my cutout, and not a single person around where I live knows **** about cars (they're all ricers over here), so they all tend to think it's a V8 until I tell them otherwise.

But yeah, other things help the car. Cam's make it sound really nice, intake stuff alters it a bit, etc. The only way to get a true sounding V8, is to get a V8!
Old 12-08-2002, 08:12 PM

im not tryin to sound like a v8, im tryin not to sound like a i4. i just want to sound good.
Old 12-10-2002, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by Maxik
Omega9, this is not a flame, but I hope that 1vastv6 will hand you your own *** on ,not a silver plate, but freaking GOLDEN one ) LOL....

1vastv6, my bet is on u....
Yeah even if your running low 14's...I can't help to laugh.. Why put so much cash in a v6 when u could have just purchased a z which will readily hand you your ***??
Old 12-10-2002, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by Ve/\/om
Yeah even if your running low 14's...I can't help to laugh
I can't help but laugh when I'm whoopin 5.0s and 98 Mustang GTs with my V6!....which is also a 14-15 second car..
Old 12-10-2002, 12:58 PM

Yeah even if your running low 14's...I can't help to laugh.. Why put so much cash in a v6 when u could have just purchased a z which will readily hand you your ***??
I wonder that at times. Thats why I didn't heavily mod my car, and am patient enough to wait for an LS1 trans am to come along.
Old 12-10-2002, 05:13 PM

man i hate idiots like this! i have never heard anybody put down other peeps cars at the track. we mod what we race... we race what we mod. if i wanted to buy a Z i would have bought one.

i guess this guy would think that 10 sec vw bug i saw would be nothing compared to his cobra.

Quick Reply: best sounding & lookin exhaust for 3.8