V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

97 RS 3.8L supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 04:51 PM

97 RS 3.8L supercharger

Hey guys,
I need some information on puttin a stock gtp or gnx supercharger on my 3800 II engine. The engine is stock except for a slp cai and takeoff 97ss muffler. obvuoisly i want to put headers and a full 2.5" exaust on w/ the supercharger. My main concern is will a gtp/gnx supercharger kit fit on my car, taking consideration of the clearance of the hood.
thanks!!!!
Old 09-26-2005, 05:01 PM

Re: 97 RS 3.8L supercharger

Its not gonna work for an array or reasons. Obviously, the GTP/GTX are on a FWD platform as compared to your RWD, and the supercharger is that of a roots style design making fitment difficult. Also, even if it could be made to work, the overall design of the Eaton M90(supercharger that comes in GTP/GTX) is very poor. Heak soak is a big problem and without an intercooler, boost levels have to be kept at a low level and make raising the boost levels difficult and threatening to the motor. If forced induction is what you are serious about, look into a good aftermarket centrifugal supercharger or turbo system designed for your application.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by 2000GTP
Its not gonna work for an array or reasons. Obviously, the GTP/GTX are on a FWD platform as compared to your RWD, and the supercharger is that of a roots style design making fitment difficult. Also, even if it could be made to work, the overall design of the Eaton M90(supercharger that comes in GTP/GTX) is very poor. Heak soak is a big problem and without an intercooler, boost levels have to be kept at a low level and make raising the boost levels difficult and threatening to the motor. If forced induction is what you are serious about, look into a good aftermarket centrifugal supercharger or turbo system designed for your application.
Actually I got a friend w/ a GTP and he turned up the boost hella lot, but it does have knocking problems due to heat soaking but IC will fix it. Anyways I never understood s/c a v6? If your gona spend that money just swamp in an LT1 and you will spank the s/c 3.8. Thats what I do to my friends car all the time. Hes pushing 300hp now but he had to do sooooo much more modding and his car looks gay and sounds gay(v6) lol.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:29 PM

hey everyone, lets be unoriginal and close minded.....

anyway...it wont work, we were going to put one on a 3.4 V6 and there simply isnt enough room under the cowl area
Old 09-26-2005, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Merk
hey everyone, lets be unoriginal and close minded.....

anyway...it wont work, we were going to put one on a 3.4 V6 and there simply isnt enough room under the cowl area
It has nothing to do with being unoriginal and close minded, simply stated, there are several more issues involved than simply clearing the cowl area.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:01 AM

i was referring to Mr. LT1

but i was correct in stating there isnt enough room...right?
Old 09-27-2005, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Merk
i was referring to Mr. LT1

but i was correct in stating there isnt enough room...right?
Yeah, I dont see that bulky of a charger clearing under the cowl with ease, but that is not all. You also run into problems with the fuel rail design, accessory pulley placement, and the big one, a Naturally Aspirated V6 runs a higher compression ratio than the GTP supercharged motor. So just slapping on a supercharger can become a problem if knock levels are not monitored and the proper precautions taken. And as for the previous post about why s/c a v6, why not?? Some of those supercharged v6s have broken into the 10s, many into the 11s. Not bad for a fwd v6 right? Just because it has six cylinders doesn't deem it unfit to use forced induction.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:47 AM

none of the above arguements (Except 1 guy) get it...

the superchargers from GTP's are top mounted, above the engine, THIS DOES NOT WORK as they are FWD, and we are RWD, totally different design, wrt. the supercharger...

buying a supercharger (like the snail kind) is fine... getting a GTP supercharger to fix = impossible, fyi
Old 09-27-2005, 10:06 AM

i think more than one of us got the top mount idea....i really dont think the FWD vs RWD has anything to do with it tho, the blocks are the same...i bet if one used the lower intake/fuel system from a GTP it would "work" but it still wouldnt fit because its top mounted

oh and water/meth injection and an FMU would do fine for compensating the high compression, just cant run too much boost......doesnt matter, it wont fit anyway

besides....turbocharging would be a much better idea
Old 09-27-2005, 11:26 AM

The biggest problem is the location of the throttle body. Since the GTP is transaxle, this would place your throttle body in the middle of your firewall. It would be really difficult to adapt it to work. What you could do is grab the M90 system off of a 89-95 ford super coupe. Im sure it could be adapted, but thats not saying it would take work.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:02 PM

The biggest problem is the cowl already stated...

doesn't matter if its FWD or RWD...

you will also need GTP heads, and lower intake, and fuel rail, since the fuel injectors are in a different spot do to the engien location.

the L36 can run boost just fine... lots of people are doing in v6 f-bodies and in fwd L36s...
Old 09-27-2005, 12:21 PM

heh thanks for the arguments guys,
I figured that it wouldn't clear the hood and the compression ratio is wrong and that it's a transaxle charger. I just wanted to be sure thanks.

p.s. u can get one of those for $400, a new after market s/c is around $1k and LT1 is about $2-3k (which I will be doing within 3-4 years), and a turbo is even more expensive, so I was just asking b/c of the hp gain/price...money is a problem for some of us kids.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:47 PM

Question Re: 97 RS 3.8L supercharger

a m90 huh? has anyone heard of a 93-97 v6 fbody being supercharged? exept for the $4000!!! powerdyne kit...? Keep in mind I do have the cai, so the entire stock air intake assembly is gone, and I have absolutely no problem taking out the air condition unit and hoses (that don't work anyway + rather have hp than cold air heh i have power windows). That should give me enough room for a centri. s/c but I guess i'd have to have a shop fabricate some tubes for me... idk
Old 09-27-2005, 11:00 PM

the l67 supercharger sits slightly lower than the fwd l36 intake manifold......shouldn't have a problem fitting under the cowl
Old 09-28-2005, 04:15 AM

Just because the L67 and L36 motors compare almost in height still doesn't mean that the M90 supercharger will bolt right onto the rwd 3.8L. Pop the hood of any GTP and then a 3.8 or 5.7L equipped f-body and do the comparison. I'm sure if someone had the time and money, they could get the roots style M-90 to cram in there, but the fabrication and time costs will start to get excessive. In my opinion, the M90 is not the best of choices to spend alot of money on. As already stated, an aftermarket centrifugal or turbo system tailored for the v6 f-body is probably the best way to go or even the nitrous route.

Quick Reply: 97 RS 3.8L supercharger