V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

3.4 Wants New Exaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 02:27 PM

Post 3.4 Wants New Exhaust

I searched, but my specific questions were not asked, and my question wasn't being looked at or answered in the "What Intake, Headers, Exhaust, etc...?" sticky. From what I did learn, I wanted 2nd or 3rd opinions of what a few users claimed. My 1994 3.4 Camaro is stock except for a K&N CAI I recently put on. I want to buy a Flowmaster exaust system. My stock in and out is already 2.5".

Chassis: With Flanged Catalytic Converter
Engine: 3.4L V6

Brand: Flowmaster

Description: American Thunder Exhaust System, Full Flowmaster Tone, Most Aggressive And Highest Performance, 2.5" Inlet, 2.5" Outlet, Dual Rear Exit, 80 Series Crossflow Muffler, With 3" Stainless Tips, Hardware

$328.03
In my search, I read a lot of negative things about Flowmaster. Some even said that they actually flow worse than stock. Is this true?

Is this a good buy and what gains (HP and otherwise) will I get? Will I sound "ricey"? Because I don't want to. If this is no good, do you recommend Borla or SLP?

One more Question... I told my dad I wanted to get a manual fan switch, because my car runs a little hot now and then (sometimes about 3 quarters) when it never used to even go past half. He said it was a waste of money and the engine fan turns on automatically when the engine gets hot anyways. Thoughts?

NOTE: I do not drag race or anything, I just enjoy a little bit of power and a tad more sound in my daily driver.

I'm fairly sure this has not been asked. I read carefully through my search results, so as not to be yelled at. Also, I don't want this forum to turn into a newbies corner and scare away all of the knowledgable people, while us newbies are left giving eachother horrible advice .

Last edited by MarcR94v6; 04-21-2005 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-21-2005, 02:43 PM

Re: 3.4 Wants New Exaust

ok, 1st, fix ur overhearing
manual fan won't 'fix' this, you have a problem there, either a bad thermo, a leak somewhere???? check that out 1st...

i had that same exhaust on my old 3.4L, sounds nice enough.. they will all sound bad above 3k rpm, u just have to live with it, as for a borla instead, thats a LOT more money, i wouldn't bother, personally, too much money for a 3.4L...
flowmasters actually aren't the best flowing mufflers in the world, but for a 3.4L, it won't matter... ur looking at 5hp or so for the catback....

if i were you, maybe look at getting a take off Z/28 or t/a exhaust, if u can get one locally for cheap

otherwise, flowmasters are always a good choice

bets of luck... but definately fix ur overheating issue, thats important, or it could lead to other problems in the near future
Old 04-21-2005, 03:38 PM

Ian pretty much hit it head on the head.

No matter which exhaust you go with, it WILL sound a little raspy past 3k. Flowmaster, Spintech, Borla, etc...doesn't matter. While Borla is stainless, Borla is very expensive and unless you have to have it, there are better alternatives that will perform the same.

I've heard a Z28 "take-off" on a 3.8L and it didn't sound very good at all. You have a 3.4L so it will sound a little better.

The only advantage of having a 3.4L.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:10 PM

Thumbs up Re: 3.4 Wants New Exaust

Thanks a lot guys, the leak would be in the Intake Manifold. It would cost $500- $600 to fix, my dad says it's not worth it, but maybe that's causing the overheat. But it sometimes goes down when I drive/accelerate.

by take off, does that mean bolt on?

Last edited by MarcR94v6; 04-21-2005 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by MarcR94v6
Thanks a lot guys, the leak would be in the Intake Manifold. It would cost $500- $600 to fix, my dad says it's not worth it, but maybe that's causing the overheat. But it sometimes goes down when I drive/accelerate.

by take off, does that mean bolt on?
personally, regarding you sometimes overheating, i wouldn't just leave it... one day you'll end up stranded, and thats not good... i dunno, tough call, all i'll say is that i'd definately have my car running 100% right before spending money on additional toys like exhausts... thats just my $0.02 though...

take off means that it is an exhaust from a z/28 or t/a car, normally 'take-off's' are in very very good shape, taken off by SLP when they made the SS and firehawk cars... however, just a used exhaust in good shape could work too.. but its a little more hassle than buying new, but u save some money... so again, ur decision on what u want to do...

basically all catbacks are bolt on things, u can (should?) weld them on, i haven't on mine or my last camaro, they bolt up using clamps quite easily... i even did my old 3.4L flowmaster with a friend (air tools helped A LOT!!!!)
Old 04-21-2005, 10:28 PM

I"m still planning out my exhasut for my 94 3.4L. I'm going with headers, a high flow magnaflow universal fit cat and a flowmaster 80 series delta muffler and some maganflow tips. The only thing I haven't decided on is wether I could use the y-pipe that comes with the headers for if I should cut the pipes just before them come together and have a 2 in 1 out cat.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:01 PM

just use what comes wiht the kit.... don't make it harder than it is.

get urself a carsound cat from ebay (got mine for $35 shipped, or was it 39?? either way, its not $$$)...

i highly doubt theres any performance difference between 2 cats and 1 high flow on a 3.4L....